kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2008 :  6:23:04 PM  Show Profile
We have had rain here for several days now. I have noticed one of my goats has runny poop. It seems like they do this when there has been lots of rain and they can't get out to browse. I just wondered if anyone else has this problem with their animals and wet weather.

I give them Kaopectate and it clears it up quick. But it sure is a mess.

Kris

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2008 :  7:17:42 PM  Show Profile
Hi Kris

This happens because they are eating outside feed that has more moisture in it. This is not a health issue and I might not give them any medication because it should right itself once the land dries. I would only be concerned if the animal had loose stool and was not eating or acting correctly. You might watch that you keep their environment very clean during this time because I would be more concerned about contamination due to loose stool.

Good luck

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2008 :  7:26:46 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Grace. It's been so wet here the past few weeks and they are just miserable girls. Everything is wet. We even have a new creek running thru the goat yard now. No rain for awhile so maybe I can get out there and do some preventive cleaning Saturday.

Kris
Go to Top of Page

Mother Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Cindy
Peck ID
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2008 :  10:17:56 PM  Show Profile
Kristin, this doesn't pertain to your topic specifically but does to goats in general. Keep baking soda out for your goats to take "at will" and whenever they have tummy trouble, they will eat it. We haven't had any problems since we heard of this and started doing it a couple years ago. Of course you have to keep it dry, but it works.
Just thought I'd pass it along.

I will bless the Lord at all times: his praise shall continually be in my mouth. Psalms 34:1
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2008 :  09:14:37 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, I do this, too. But have to change it so much. They are messy goats.

Holly is ok today. The sky is blue and the sun's a shinin'!!! Yeah!! I know I'm happy!

Kris
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2008 :  9:53:06 PM  Show Profile
Kris-- I have to say, I have yet to meet a "NEAT" goat! (as in, NOT messy!) My girls always manage to get into the barn when it's nasty out. Even my horses too! I think my guardian dog pushes the big door open with his nose and lets them all in. I have yet to come across a runny butt goat in my herd when the weather is bad-- maybe it's just stress? I know MY tummy gets upset when I'm stressed! (LOL!) Hope all is well there and the weather a little less wet! ~~Hugs~~ Tracy

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2008 :  06:03:30 AM  Show Profile
Tracy, it's been raining for 2 days now and nights and is still going. I did manage to do the feeding and milking during a little break but it just started again. It's just a rainy week here.

Are ya'll still getting the downpours?

Oh, when my stomach is going crazy, I drink buttermilk. Maybe I could do a buttermilk drenh next time this happens. Couldn't hurt and it's homemade, too.

Kris
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2008 :  07:10:23 AM  Show Profile
No rain here really. A HUGE storm was predicted this last week, but it was more wind than rain. God knows we need the rain DESPERATELY!!!

Are you talking a Buttermilk drench for the goats? Hm... somehow I don't think they'ed by too keen on that! Sounds YUCKY!!!!!

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2008 :  08:19:36 AM  Show Profile
I have given them plain yogurt for tummy troubles before. For the good bacteria and enzymes for the gut. Not really a huge drench, just one of the big plunger type oral thingies. (That's one of those things I don't know the name of and is hard to describe!)

I wish some of our rain would go your way. I know I should be grateful for this rain. Maybe I will be later.

Kris
Go to Top of Page

frolicnfibers
True Blue Farmgirl

668 Posts

Diana
White City Oregon
USA
668 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2008 :  3:34:34 PM  Show Profile
That baking soda idea of Cindy's makes alot of sense...thanks for the tip!

Diana

Please come visit my animals and my Etsy store on my new blog!
http://www.frolicnfibers.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

QueenofQuiteAlot
True Blue Farmgirl

865 Posts

Dalyn
Milk 'n Honey Ranch Central, WA
USA
865 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2008 :  08:32:20 AM  Show Profile
Goats are really succestable to respiratory illnesses in wet weather. As much as possbiel they should be kept in a dry area, draft free, and on dry straw, etc.

Dalyn

~Hick Chicks Soap Barn ~
www.hickchickssoapbarn.com

Homespun Raw Goat Milk Soaps 'n More

http://muckbootsnaprons.blogspot.com/
http://proverbs31nubians.blogspot.com/

Muckboots 'N Aprons at Home Chapter
http://yakimafarmgirls.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2008 :  09:08:38 AM  Show Profile
Oh yes, I've used Yogurt several times myself! I had a ram that was given some bad worm medicine (it must have been a bad batch, or outdated, though I bought it just before I gave it to him and one of my ewes-- who actually DIED from it-- thank GOODNESS I didn't give it to my WHOLE flock!!!) He got VERY sick and the only thing I could get him to "eat" was a mixture of Gatorade, yogurt and a rumin stimulant (I think it was called "Ring Master") for an entire WEEK, but it saved his life!

I also discovered recently that yogurt can be used to help save kittens with "Fading Kitten Syndrome" -- if the dread illness is caught soon enough (which, unfortunately for me, it was not). Apparently the illness is similar to ruminants who've gone off their feed. For some reason the benefical bacteria in the Kitten's gut dies and that is what causes the symptoms and causes them to "Fade." (A horrible thing to watch if you've never seen it-- and there's little "Traditional" vet medicine can do for them) There is a special recipe that calls for Yogurt, cat food, certain viatmins etc... that can be given that is supposed to help pull them through and get their gut bacteria working again. It was developed-- and used -- by a Veteran Cat breeder. Yes, yogurt is a VERY good thing!!!!

Go to Top of Page

QueenofQuiteAlot
True Blue Farmgirl

865 Posts

Dalyn
Milk 'n Honey Ranch Central, WA
USA
865 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2008 :  09:53:34 AM  Show Profile
I always keep on hand in the barn tackroom a little miracle called "Probios" it's a tuve of commercial probiotics. Whenever a goat is stressed in any way, moved, kidding, someone leaves or a new one comes in, or there's an illness, I give them a shot of probios. It's a blue gel in a whie tube and it works wonders. I buy it at all my local farm/ranch stores and feed stores.

Dalyn

~Hick Chicks Soap Barn ~
www.hickchickssoapbarn.com

Homespun Raw Goat Milk Soaps 'n More

http://muckbootsnaprons.blogspot.com/
http://proverbs31nubians.blogspot.com/

Muckboots 'N Aprons at Home Chapter
http://yakimafarmgirls.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

jumpingjuliet
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

becky
oroville CA
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2008 :  3:58:12 PM  Show Profile
I was just going to recommend Probios. I have saved a few calves with it already. Yogurt helps too.
It sounds like your goat is just stressed. My goat hates rain. She freaks out. She has had runny stool when she is stressed for long periods of time. Once the cause of aggravation goes away so does the loose stool.
Good Luck
Merry Christmas
Becky

I am one with my inner farm girl!
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Rain and Goats Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page