Farmgirl in Training

15 Posts

Mikko
Delmar NY
USA
15 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2008 :  06:19:35 AM  Show Profile
Hi,
A few days ago we took in an India Blue peacock rescue (it was wandering about a neighborhood) and I'm now trying to learn all that I can about it. The current shelter for it is a brooder box (about 8' long X 3' wide and 4' high) that sits in the garage under a heat lamp. One end is open out the window to a ramp that takes him to an enclosed aviary that is about 8-10 feet high and about 9 X 12 space. Inside there is a 2 ft high perch and some pine boughs set up as a covering over ground as a mini shelter (this is where he was sleeping when caught.)

My concerns are as follows:
Despite the fact that he was free ranging in the woods where it would get down into the teens at night, I'm worried that he is going to freeze. He has all hours access to the box with the warming light, but has not returned to it since he has been let into the aviary. We live in upstate NY where the it is a region 4-5 climate zone.

We have a low roost for him (with a 2x4 so his toes won't freeze) but he doesn't use it. Too low?

He just sits on the ground all the time, which I know might bring about more worms (I have to find him a vet), but the ground is clean and well drained, so that is a good thing.

We also have 36 other fowl, including Barred Rocks, Guinea Fowl and Polish chickens... but they have separate housing and enclosure.

Thanks for any and all advice!
Mikko

The Accidental Farm
http://www.theaccidentalfarm.com

** From the fire escape right into the fire! **

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2008 :  09:04:12 AM  Show Profile
My friends up the road from me have 2 peacocks. They just roam around with the guineas and turkeys and then roost in the barn at night. It's been freezing here in Ga. practically every night the past few weeks and they look good to me. But I'm sure a vet could give you some good advice.

My way of thinking is, they're birds. They will survive. My 2 ducks never go in the chicken house. They stay out by whatever water they can find. They were in their pool this morning swimming. But they are ducks. I never heated my chicken house and the last few years haven't even weather proofed it. So it stays open in the front. But that's just me again.

Good luck with him. They sure are beautiful animals.

Kris
Go to Top of Page

QueenofQuiteAlot
True Blue Farmgirl

865 Posts

Dalyn
Milk 'n Honey Ranch Central, WA
USA
865 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2008 :  09:10:08 AM  Show Profile
I love Pea fowl, but not on my property...I have friends who raise them, and we gave a few to the neighbors next to us...here's what I know- they roam! They also love to sleep at night up high- in trees or on the roof! They also love to roost on the sides of pick-up beds, which is why I don't keep them.

Dalyn

Muckboots 'N Aprons Chapter
~Hick Chicks Soap Barn ~
www.hickchickssoapbarn.com

Homespun Raw Goat Milk Soaps 'n More

http://muckbootsnaprons.blogspot.com/
http://proverbs31nubians.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Farmtopia
True Blue Farmgirl

1465 Posts

Zan
New York New York
USA
1465 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2008 :  4:55:21 PM  Show Profile
Hey Mikkio! Another fellow New Yorker! Hmm...I did a couple of summers on my friends farm. She had peacocks (hmm, I think there was something on this subject on the boards here, earlier)...and they DO like to roost up high. If this is a male, he is going to be LOUD during mating season, as well. AND, they tend to have this freakish obsession with shiny things..Cars in the sun, jewelry, broken glass..so..hmmm..

~*~Dream all you dreamers~*~

View my work:
www.bigtownfarmer.com

And *NEW* Blogs:
Life: www.wildatheartfarm.blogspot.com
art/dolls: www.wildatheartart.blogspot.com
herbals: www.wildatheartherbals.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

sweetproserpina
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

meg
Vinemount Ontario
Canada
535 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2008 :  06:18:41 AM  Show Profile
My grandparents have peacocks and don't do anything special for them in the winter (and we're in southern ontario). In the winter they just find an obliging outbuilding or roost way up in the trees. They pretty much look after themselves once they're grown- When they are little 'peaks' they need more watching and protection- Grandpa lost three little guys this summer to hungry predators.

Like Zan said, if your peacock is male, be wary of spring through summer- when I spent the summer at th farm I was woken to the dulcet tones of mating calls as soon as the sun was up every morning- hilarious in retrospect, not so much when you're trying to sleep!

"Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world."
http://quaintandkeepinghouse.blogspot.com New Homekeeping Blog!
http://theprimroseway.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2008 :  2:34:42 PM  Show Profile
We had a shed of sorts that was insulated like a chicken coop. We lived in Kansas, it also got in the teens. They did like to roost high. Around 6 foot up in the air (at the tip top of the coop we bought) was good they thought. lol

We raised peacocks/peahens for years. Never even came close to freezing. They are big birds!

Our chickens (babies) did freeze one year though! We brought them in the house, they unthawed and was fine! (even though they were frozen literally stiff!).

But, the Peacocks never had a problem. However, we never only had one, we usually had at least 6. And male/female always roosted together.

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

OregonGal
True Blue Farmgirl

511 Posts

Chris
No. IL
USA
511 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2008 :  10:46:46 PM  Show Profile
I have a peacock, and he likes roosting on a bale of straw in the barn when it gets real cold out. They want to sit on their feet to keep them warm. If you have a roost it shoud be quite large in diameter so he can sit on his feet - but a bale of hay will get him off the cold ground....that's what i think.
Go to Top of Page

Lainey
True Blue Farmgirl

2401 Posts

Elaine
Waco Kentucky
USA
2401 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2008 :  5:38:40 PM  Show Profile
We have 3 peafowl, a dad, mom, and 1 year old. They roost in our barn and sleep about 5 ft up, they seem to like that. We had several other peacocks too in the past and the cold never seemed to bother them either.

Farmgirl Sister #25

http://countrygirldreams.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Peacocks in winter Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page