True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Deb
Chattanooga TN
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2008 :  08:04:29 AM  Show Profile
Wasn't sure where to post this....

I'm looking for a heated bird bath. One that won't break the bank. Wild Birds Unlimited is way out of my price range. I'm looking for a reputable source (online) for wild bird goodies.

I bought this http://www.pondsandpets.com/servlet/the-219/Economy-Bird-Bath-Heater/Detail at a resale shop last year. But I'm not so sure about using it. I would have to use an extension cord. I have an outlet near the place where my birdbath will be - but I wonder about using an extension cord. Can anyone offer advice?

http://www.xanga.com/My_Pondering_Place

Mountain Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

JoAnn
Colville Washington
USA
806 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2008 :  08:17:42 AM  Show Profile
Deb, We have that one. It worked fine and did use it with an outdoor rated extension cord. Only problem for us that the cord had to run across the deck where we had to shovel and became a nuisance. JoAnn
Go to Top of Page

City Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Deb
Chattanooga TN
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2008 :  08:22:56 AM  Show Profile
Cool! I'll have to go dig it out now.... where did I stash it?????

Did you tuck the plug connections under or tape them? How do you keep the weather out?

Go to Top of Page

Mountain Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

JoAnn
Colville Washington
USA
806 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2008 :  2:56:02 PM  Show Profile
I just plugged it in to a grounded exterior extension cord. Make sure it's in all the way. You might have to put a large rock in the center of the foil plate that goes in the water. In some birdbaths it tends to float up. There always a instruction to unplug when the temps were above freezing. Enjoy. JoAnn
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4741 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4741 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2008 :  3:11:39 PM  Show Profile
I always wrap my outside plugs with electricians tape. This keeps rain, snow and condensation out.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

City Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Deb
Chattanooga TN
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2008 :  06:52:34 AM  Show Profile
So, I couldn't locate my foil plate type heater. I looked all over the garage and no luck. My wonderful hubby went out and bought the super-duper heater from WBU for me for Christmas. The people there suggested not using it in a concrete bird bath. That a plastic one would work better or an insert for the concrete bb.

Back into the garage I go to see what he did with my plastic insert for the other bird bath I have. I didn't find that but guess what I did find? Yep, the foil plate type heater! LOL! Now I have 2 heaters. Since the weather has been above freezing I haven't needed the heater, but today it's pretty cold out there. I need to find that insert or buy one that will fit the concrete bath.

Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2008 :  07:13:54 AM  Show Profile
I also just read in my birding mag that folks can also use the heated dog water bowls, as well as other small agro animals heated dishes. As long as it's free flowing, the birds will find it, even if it's on the ground.

I thought about going to get one, and then putting it up on an a flipped over large terra cotta pot for the winter.
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Backyard birders? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page