Author Herbal Wisdom: Previous Topic Yeast infections Next Topic  

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2005 :  08:27:03 AM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
Anybody know of anything that will help keep down yeast infections? I know it's because of my birth control pill (for medical reasons, I have to take that, else my life is agony for days every month) but I seem to get them every couple of months. Ugh. I don't eat much in the way of sugar - just a lot of pasta and veggies.

ThymeForEweFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

705 Posts

Robin
An organic farm in the forest in Maine
USA
705 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2005 :  08:37:08 AM  Show Profile
Pasta. It could be the carbs from the pasta. You could also be passing it back and forth between your partner if you have one. My husband had to be treated even though he had no symptoms. That took care of it for me.

Robin
www.thymeforewe.com
www.farm-garden.com/robin
Go to Top of Page

BlueEggBabe
True Blue Farmgirl

417 Posts

Susan
PA
417 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2005 :  08:37:23 AM  Show Profile
Lynn,
Have you tried taking a probiotic (beneficial bacteria? acidophilus?)
That might be all you need. Maybe a B complex, too if you are under alot of stress.
If you eat ALOT of white pasta, it converts into sugar in your body almost as well as sweets do. Just a thought.

www.feedsackfarmgirls.blogspot.com
www.farmatcoventry.com
"If more of us valued good food, cheer and song above hoarded gold,the world would be a merrier place."
J.J.R.Tolkien
Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2005 :  09:16:40 AM  Show Profile
BEB is certainly on the right track. Definitley should start taking some probiotics even just a bowl of good quality yogurt. Also you amy want to look up some info on body PH - acid/alkaline. Yeast loves an acidic environment. Many diets make the body just slightly more acidic like meat, tomatos, potatoes, citrus, pastas. These things are not bad for you, just eaten in excess could cause an imbalance and of course there are many other foods that fall into this catagory, I don't have my books here so that why you should do a little research on the net first, it's a good thing to know about anyway. So of course there is then food that cause the body to become more alkaline like Apple cidar vinegaar* , dark leafy green, brown rice and of course tons of other things.
I'll tell ya a little story, my sister-in-law Melanie give brith to her son. After the birth her body was depleted completey, she went on prescribed mega dose vitamins to replenish and she developed a bout of never ending trush (yeast infection on the nipple) she could not get rid of it. So I told her than everyday she had to eat a big bowl of plain yogurt and take a shot (shot glass full) of pure apple cidar viegar (with the mother still floating in it)she could mix the shot with water or take it straight whatever worked. She did this, and within a week, week and a half it was gone for good. The apple Cidar vinegar changes the Ph of your body just enough that the yeast doesn't want to trive and the yogurt provides the right bacteria to takes it's place and then there is peace again.
Now everyones body is different, this is just a suggestion that I have seen work and had heard many great things about from other people but there is this term that I truely believe in and it's called "Biochemical Individaulity" meaning everyones different. So check this out and see what you think, Hope it helps.

Blessed Be
www.sqrlbee.com www.sisterhood.sqrlbee.com

Go to Top of Page

BlueEggBabe
True Blue Farmgirl

417 Posts

Susan
PA
417 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2005 :  09:40:39 AM  Show Profile
Sqrl,
You were right to stress good quality PLAIN unsweetened yogurt for the yeast.While all yogurt has the beneficial bacteria, many has LOTS of sugars in it,too. The plain yogurt is the best for this situation.
Good thinkin' on the apple cider vinegar too .

www.feedsackfarmgirls.blogspot.com
www.farmatcoventry.com
"If more of us valued good food, cheer and song above hoarded gold,the world would be a merrier place."
J.J.R.Tolkien
Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2005 :  10:56:47 AM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
Well I have plenty of plain yogurt around. I tried eating yogurt (with peaches) in it for 2 months and still had the problem. I will also go for the apple cider vinegar. Sounds like it might be hard to choke down, but I'll try it.

I also never thought DH would need treatment - this time around I was fine until about 2 days after "you know" took place. So that could well be part of the problem!

A lot of pasta, and a lot of tomatoes in my diet too. Not enough leafy greens. I have started having brown rice for lunch, so I'll make sure some spinach shows up a dinner too. :)
Go to Top of Page

Tatiana
True Blue Farmgirl

98 Posts

Tania
Boise ID
USA
98 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2005 :  11:26:35 AM  Show Profile
I agree with the high carb diet. I notice that I get them frequently after my period. So during that time I really try to avoid refined sugar (hard to do this time of year ). It has really kept it down. If I start to notice any itching or irritation, I start guzzling yogurt, decrease the carbs, and even take and acidophilus supplement from the Coop here in town.

I totally understand your frustration. I briefly read a book called "The Yeast Connection". It goes from a really no carb diet to increasing fruits later. It is really good about helping you figure out the cycle of yeast infections. I think once you have chronic yeast infections you just have to watch it. Sometimes I resort to over the counter yeast medication if all else fails. Because candida (yeast) is part of your natural flora, you can't or wouldn't want to eliminate it totally. You just want to get it under control.

Good luck,

Tania

Go to Top of Page

ThymeForEweFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

705 Posts

Robin
An organic farm in the forest in Maine
USA
705 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2005 :  6:05:22 PM  Show Profile
When I was at the WISA conference once of the things I heard in a workshop is that regular consumption of vinegar might be hard on bones. There's research being done to find out if it does damage to calcium content.

Robin
www.thymeforewe.com
www.farm-garden.com/robin
Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2005 :  09:46:07 AM  Show Profile
I'm talking about taking the vinegar as a treatment. Also we should know what kind of vinegar they using in this study. White vinegar - average household vinegar is made from petroleum and is no longer a natural product. I'm talking about the kind of vinegar you can't see through. This is one thing you always have to take into account - who's doing the studies and what/how much are they using.

Blessed Be
www.sqrlbee.com www.sisterhood.sqrlbee.com

Go to Top of Page

CityCat
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Catherine
Toronto Ontario
Canada
198 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2005 :  5:41:26 PM  Show Profile
No one has yet to mention this so I will: Use a clove of garlic up the *you-know-where* and it will clear the yeast infection right up! Take a clove of garlic, peel it, smash it slightly (don't break it up into pieces) and put it inside. If you're concerned about "losing it" (you won't, but some people don't like fishing for it) put the garlic clove in a bit of gauze or cheese cloth, tie a string around it and it'll be something like a tampon. Now, don't leave the garlic clove in longer than 12 hours. I usually do this overnight and remove it in the morning. Other than the slight garlic smell (which really doesn't bother me) it works like a charm.

Now, let's all go back to eating yogurt and consuming apple cider vinegar... -Cat

ps. I've also tried just plain yogurt to get rid of the yeast infection. I was desperate. I was inflammed and in pain. It was a sight to behold. Needed a funnel. Or something. Sorry, I really shouldn't be so graphic! sorry!
Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2005 :  6:54:53 PM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
LOL! Cat - I've heard of using yogurt that way but couldn't figure out the logistics of it.
hmmm... I just bought garlic.

What about consuming more garlic in the diet? Will that help lower the body's pH as well?
Go to Top of Page

Yogifarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

297 Posts

Jenn
Swiftwater PA
USA
297 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2005 :  7:38:11 PM  Show Profile  Send Yogifarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
If you like pasta go over to a rice or spelt pasta. That may help. Whole grains are always best. Things like Quinoa and Brown Rice (organic of course)Wheat in this country has been so modified that even whole wheat is not a really good choice these days

"Breathe in the Sunshine"
Go to Top of Page

CityCat
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Catherine
Toronto Ontario
Canada
198 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2005 :  2:36:04 PM  Show Profile
Okay, maybe the garlic smells a bit more than just slight. You'll have a slight eau d'ail(garlic) smell for a while.

Yep, eating garlic will help as well. It won't help to lower the body's pH, but it is a fungicide and a bactericide(sp?) and a general aid to good health.

Diluted tea tree oil works too. Dilute a bit of tea tree oil with water, dip a tampon in it and then insert. I haven't tried this, but I do have an ointment that has tea tree oil in it, and when I had a yeast infection, this ointment worked wonderfully on the inflammed outer bits.

I did a bit of research, and yogurt can be applied by first dipping a tampon in yogurt and then inserting it. Or, a squirt bottle. Or a syringe sans needle. Now why didn't I do that? -Cat
Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2005 :  3:42:00 PM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
You didn't do that because you were in pain and desperate. :D ;)

We seem to go through phases where we eat a lot of garlic. I'll have to get some of the tea tree oil. It has soooo many uses!
Go to Top of Page

celebrate2727
True Blue Farmgirl

989 Posts

Beth
MJF Farmgirl
989 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2005 :  12:37:03 PM  Show Profile  Send celebrate2727 a Yahoo! Message
FYI -
Learned this from the local vitamin store. To keep from getting yeast infections and other things try candida clear, it will get rid of allot of yeast and other bacteria. When I took it, I had slight flu symptoms for a couple days but then felt great. Another thing to try is Silverbiotics. This is a great alternative to Dr prescribed antibiotics. Great for yeast infections, ear infections and other maladies. When I am sick I will take the silverbiotics and some loganberry syrup and I feel better in hours. A great immune booster is moducare. Some cancer patients take it to help them deal with chemo. It is made from plant sterols and sterinols. If you can find a GOOD vitamin store with someone that has knowledge on the products and doesn't want to just sell you something it can be very helpful. Good luck.

May you achieve your full potential to excel intellectually, to live spiritually, to lead responsibly, to act justly and to serve selflessly. Have a wonderful Holiday and a Happy New Year!
Go to Top of Page

Shirley
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Shirley
Olympia Wa
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2005 :  1:10:14 PM  Show Profile
Periods, aw yes I remember those!!!! :))
Sorry girls I couldnt resist.
Go to Top of Page

manda
Farmgirl in Training

49 Posts

amanda
corralitos cA
USA
49 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2005 :  7:29:09 PM  Show Profile
Hi,
Okay, I'm coming from a medical perspective (RN) but I wouldn't put garlic in my vagina. Also I do believe in natural remedies but in this case I would seek medical advice. Have you had your blood sugar checked? Also it's important to make sure it's a yeast infection and not something else. There are other vaginal infections that are similar to yeast. Treatment can be as simple as one Diflucan pill. Also dry, cotton, loose clothes, and sitz baths help. And definitely the yogurt and acidophilus products. And please please think twice about putting anything in your vagina when you have a yeast infection -it could lead to further irritation.
Manda
Go to Top of Page

LadyCrystal
True Blue Farmgirl

593 Posts

Alicia
Rhode Island
USA
593 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2005 :  10:24:10 AM  Show Profile
I don't know if anyone has mentions this but if you have a significant other they should be treated also.He could be carring the yeast and giving it back and forth.This happened to me with my ex husband.He was finally treated after years of me suffering and it worked like a charm.The Dr. also told me not to have sex until each yeast infection was completely gone.
Alicia
Alicia

http://fromcitytocountrygirl.blogspot.com/
follow your dreams
Go to Top of Page

medievalcat
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Cynthia
White County Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2005 :  10:51:14 PM  Show Profile
Hi,
I've had problems with chronic yeast infections that my doctors really aren't bothered by... but you can guest I am! We have something of an herbalist/compoundist at the pharmacy I use. They told me to take cranberry capsules twice a day. I did and it cleared it up wonderfully. In fact it worked so well that I stopped taking it and well... it's back and ugly as ever. I stared back on the cranberry capsules and I'm waiting to see how long it will take to reduce the symptoms.
What I noticed with the cranberry capsules is that my PH was changed significantly but didn't notice any other problems. I was also eating a lot of high acid fruit like pomegranits and oranges. I felt great. I wish I had stayed on it.
Does changing your ph to more acidic cause problems?

I hope this helps...
Cynthia
Go to Top of Page

Jana
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Jana
Eau Claire Wisconsin
USA
482 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2006 :  7:45:21 PM  Show Profile
I have found that applying yogurt topically down there can work as does applying (or douching with) vinegar & water. One thing that caught my eye about your post is that you eat lots of carbs, which are just another form of sugar. Sugar IS a carb. You see, I was having constant yeast infections and that is how I found out I was diabetic. Please, if you can, get a fasting glucose done at your doc's. Not to be alarmist, but you may be able to get your sugars, if thats what it is, under control. I did, and no shots!

Jana
Go to Top of Page

KarenP
True Blue Farmgirl

666 Posts

Karen
Chippewa Falls Wisconsin
USA
666 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2006 :  2:26:31 PM  Show Profile
One remedy I came across and seems to work for me (if done right away)
Drink a Alka-Seltzer.
I have only tried a couple times, but seems to work.
KarenP

"Purest Spring Water in the World"
Go to Top of Page

everlastings8
Farmgirl at Heart

1 Posts

Bonnie
Platteville Wisconsin
USA
1 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2006 :  07:03:16 AM  Show Profile
hi - When I eat sour cream it always sets off a yeast infection - also too much cream cheese - hope this helps
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2006 :  07:31:01 AM  Show Profile
I DON'T GET THEM, BUT HAVE A SISTER INLAW THAT DID. VERY INPORTANT TO WEAR LOOSE FITTING PANTS, NOT TIGHT TIGHT JEANS, ALSO COTTON UNDERWARE, NOT THE SILKY KIND. WASHED IN VERY HOT WATER WITH BLEACH TO KILL ANY YEAST.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

FloralSaucer
True Blue Farmgirl

156 Posts

Australia
156 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2006 :  9:59:29 PM  Show Profile
I thought it was not so much carbs, but the yeast in white bread. I learnt that on "You Are What You Eat" the TV show, there is also a website.
Go to Top of Page

EnchantedWoodsGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

959 Posts

Kathy
New Jersey
USA
959 Posts

Posted - May 19 2006 :  10:13:40 PM  Show Profile
Acidolphilis capsules, you can actually open these and use as a douche - they will help restore the natural ph of your vagina. Avoid too much sugar, a real culprit for yeast infections. Also you can insert plain yogurt into the vagina on a tampon - and I imagine that would help to soothe it too.
Make sure you check with you gyne to make sure all else is okay. Hormones can be out of whack as can your blood sugar.
Cotton crotch panties only, and when you wash yourself, I know this sounds silly but don't use a towel except to blot, use your blow dryer on the low setting. Don't wear panties to bed if you don't have to, give your body time to breath.

Kathy of the Enchanted Wood
Go to Top of Page
  Herbal Wisdom: Previous Topic Yeast infections Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page