Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Herbal Wisdom
 do any of you use oil of oregano for sinuses?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Herbal Wisdom: Previous Topic do any of you use oil of oregano for sinuses? Next Topic  

SheilaC
True Blue Farmgirl

1948 Posts

Sheila
Vermont
USA
1948 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2008 :  8:56:03 PM  Show Profile
Anybody use this for sinuses? My husband gets really bad sinus infections several times a winter (actually every season!) and I'd like to find an alternative to him always having to use amoxicillin. Also, where do you get it? A place like Whole Foods? Or a health food store? Or?? Any info is appreciated!

Homespun Livin
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Brenda
Louisiana
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2008 :  7:58:18 PM  Show Profile
I have seen it at my local health food store. I always have sinus infections and bronchitis every year, I have not heard of using oil of oregano for it. I'll have to do some research on this, sounds interesting.

"Love one another."
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2891 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2891 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2008 :  08:05:43 AM  Show Profile
Sheila
If you get some that is powerful, just be sure to use a carrier oil (any vegetable based oil) to mix it with. One time I put some on my hubbys sinus area straight, & it lit him up like a Christmas tree. He could definitely breathe afterwards though! We use YOung Living Essential oils for therapeutic applications. They are pricey, but well worth it. YOu need such a little bit, & I have had some of their oils for years(oregano included, you don't need much of that stuff!!)(
Go to Top of Page

AprilRain
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

April
MI
USA
27 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2008 :  12:00:40 PM  Show Profile
Oregano is definitely potent and I wanted to pipe up a strong agreement with Lisa's suggestion to blend with a carrier oil. ;-) (Unfortunately, I found myself actually injured by Young Living's loose take on oregano EO.) In any event, as a very novice dabbler in EOs, I thought I'd recommend my favorite source, both for knowledge and products. Marge is a delight, and I've been often helped by a product or article on her website that addresses a particular concern.

http://www.naturesgift.com/

When recently coming down with a cold, I found effective relief from a combo listed here:

http://www.naturesgift.com/hints_tips.htm

"I have been diffusing a blend of Ravensara Aromatica, with just a few drops of Clove Bud, Cinnamon Bark, Melissa, and a touch of Lemon Myrtle. The touches of spice and Lemon are wonderful, and I think the combined antibacterial and anti-viral effects of this blend should keep all the flu-bugs at bay through this winter!"

I do believe that EOs from this source are more effective than those retailed in health food stores... better quality and inventory control, more careful sourcing, more potent. I would be willing to say the same of Young Living; my issues are not with their products but with their approach here and there.

Well now I'm just rambling. Anyway, I do hope your hubby finds relief!

~April
http://aprilsatelier.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

homesteaderbelle
True Blue Farmgirl

391 Posts

Belle

USA
391 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2009 :  12:17:58 AM  Show Profile  Click to see homesteaderbelle's MSN Messenger address
I have noticed my sinuses clear when I smell Oregano.

Belle

http://www.homesteaderbelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

ThePixiesPlayhouse
True Blue Farmgirl

127 Posts

Terri
Biggs CA
127 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2009 :  07:48:47 AM  Show Profile
Make sure to use Origanum Vulgare. I, personally, would not recommend it for sinus use, unless it is very diluted. It would burn horribly.

Using a netti pot, everyday......with warm salt water should help.
Go to Top of Page

Meadowflower
Farmgirl in Training

25 Posts

Lisa
Harrisburg Pa
USA
25 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2009 :  2:56:59 PM  Show Profile
Hello!

I've used oil of oregano for my sinuses. I've not applied it externally, but rather put 2-3 drops in a cup of tea. It's very strong stuff. Don't use it forever, but a couple of times a day for some time is good. I found that when I get a bad sinus infection, it's the first thing I reach for to help clear it up. Also take it at the first sign of congestion there.

Additionally, what helps as well besides neti pots, is just a plain hot water washcloth applied to the front of the face and eyes, and the back of the neck, if you're experiencing pain there. I just plan to spend a few minutes in the bathroom over the sink :) I soak the washcloth in hot tap water, then press it into my face and eyes. When it starts to get cool, I run it under the hot water again. It helps loosen things up and works very well. I have to do this several times a day to relieve the pain or sinus headache.

Oh yes get it at Whole Foods or a health food store. This is the brand I use (I used to work at a health food store and this one is the best) Oreganol: http://www.allhealthtrends.com/media/products/NAH/ss_size2/335824000012.jpg

*~Lisa~*

Edited by - Meadowflower on Jan 28 2009 2:59:06 PM
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2009 :  1:06:41 PM  Show Profile
I often deal with sinus and allergy problems. Like Terri, I use a Netti-Pot everyday (sometimes once in the morning and once in the evening) It has made a huge difference.

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

Go to Top of Page

idsweetie72
True Blue Farmgirl

129 Posts

Sandra
New Meadows idaho
USA
129 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2009 :  09:21:10 AM  Show Profile
Yep- you need to dilute it- or otherwise- OMG YUCK! First hand knowledge- my kids screamed with laughter at my misfortune

Mazy Day Farm
Go to Top of Page
  Herbal Wisdom: Previous Topic do any of you use oil of oregano for sinuses? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page