mollybee
Farmgirl in Training

29 Posts

JoAnn
Rogue River OR
USA
29 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2008 :  06:22:06 AM  Show Profile
I treasure all the recipes from my grandmother and great grandmother. I was lucky to have my grandmothers lace table clothes and lace doilies passed on to me . I sure miss my grandmas-both of them. And now my mom is passing on all of her cookie recipes.

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2008 :  12:09:21 PM  Show Profile
I too have a lot of recipes from my maternal grandmother. She was this tiny (four foot nine) little Danish woman and the highlight of the holiday season was getting a big box of cookies from Grandma...I do treasure all her recipes . It is so nice to have family connections.

Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2008 :  2:58:43 PM  Show Profile
My favorite cookie recipe was from my Mom. Then I found it in a hand written recipe book that was my Grandma's. The name of the cookie is Our Favorite. I love to make them and then get ask what kind of cookies they are. I say, Our Favorite. They say, OK, but what kind are they. I say, Our Favorite. This goes on and on. I made a big batch one year for the adult grandkids for Christmas. I bagged them up and had copies of Grandma's hand written recipe included with their box of cookies. I thought it was just a terrific idea. They didn't even comment on them or the recipe. Wonder how old they have to be before they appreciate a handwritten recipe from their great-great grandmother.

Most of my family recipes are not recipes at all, just "the way they made something." My grandpa cooked pinto beans and always added a potato, a carrot and a spoonful of chili powder. My grandma's noodles were made with 6 eggs, 6 half egg shells of milk. Then start adding flour till it was right. I don't think those were ever written down. Maybe I should.
Go to Top of Page

homergirl1957
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

cathy
tieton washington
111 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2008 :  5:20:06 PM  Show Profile
belle,
hopefully someday the grandkids will come to treasure thier great-great grandma's cookie recipe. hopefully this economic mess we are in will cause folks to take stalk of thier blessings and appreciate lifes simple pleasures. you should write down the recipes and pass them on to whomever shows an interest. what a treasure!! you are lucky to have them!!
wish i had my great-great grandmas recipes!
cathy

in the midst of difficulty lies opportunity.-a. einstein
Go to Top of Page

Mother Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Cindy
Peck ID
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2008 :  6:17:57 PM  Show Profile
You know, neither of my grandmothers really had any recipes to pass down, with the exception of Italian meatballs. I don't even remember seeing a cookbook in my maternal grandmothers kitchen. She was upper crust, with a maid and all. My paternal grandmother is the one that gave me the meatball recipe. But like Emeril says you gotta have the "love". My father uses the same ingredients (nothing measured by either of us) and he says my meatballs are better than his.

Definitely write down the recipes you have, pass them on to all in your families even if they don't cook. It's part of their heritage. Years from now, maybe they will use them and be happy they got them.

I will bless the Lord at all times: his praise shall continually be in my mouth. Psalms 34:1
Go to Top of Page

gramax18
True Blue Farmgirl

106 Posts

Elinor
meeker Colorado
USA
106 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2008 :  9:35:22 PM  Show Profile
I am a grandma, great grandma and I made a cookbook for all of the married girls in my family. I think most of them use thiers. Today at our church pot luck dinner I brought some of my mother-in-laws "ice box cookies" and one of my granddaughters asked if this recipe was in the cookbook. It wasnot so I will send it to her. This just thrills me to know that they have these recipies to use. Some come from my mother also. This is my heritage to my family.
Go to Top of Page

5 acre Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1007 Posts

~~~*Terri*~~~
WA.
USA
1007 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2008 :  08:18:47 AM  Show Profile
Yes...plase do write your recipes down, my Grandmother and Mother never wrote anything down, so consequently it got passed to me that way also, and my (only) daughter is constantly bugging me to write them down, she says she does not have the memory we all had, so I am trying to, but, not to remember most of the time.......I LOVE my family recipes and so does DH!

Farmgirl Sister #368
Please visit my new blog....
http://thecontentedwoman.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2008 :  11:51:49 AM  Show Profile
My mom made the best drop biscuits. I ask her years ago for the recipe. She said she did not use a recipe. I told her the next time she made biscuits to just measure what she was putting in and write it down. She did just that and they were the worst biscuits she ever made. She made her pie crust the same way. So now I have to get out the cookbooks when I make anything.
Go to Top of Page

jumpingjuliet
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

becky
oroville CA
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2008 :  5:33:11 PM  Show Profile
My mom is in the process of figuring her grandma's recipes into measurements. SHe did not write things down and she did not measure. Luckily we had cooked with her enough to know how to make things. There are some we are trying to figure out. Mom is making a cookbook for everyone for Christmas. Her specialty was baked macaroni, sour endive and pork sauerkraut and kunadles. Yum Yum! Makes me hungry thinking about it.
I miss cooking with her. She was an awesome lady! :)
Becky

I am one with my inner farm girl!
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2008 :  9:28:46 PM  Show Profile
Ya'll are making me really miss my grandma. I don't remember any cookbooks in her kitchen. She never measured anything. She had it all meorized. She was a southern lady and cooked wonderful food. Table always full. And just plain simple foods too. Nothing fancy. She made butter beans with dumplings in them and the best johnny cakes ever. I can still taste them all crispy on the edges. And the best silver queen corn cut off the cob and fried. I can see her sitting at the table with a bucket of corn and the sharpest knife going down through the cobs with juice flying all over us. I think of her every time I do corn. What wonderful memories.

But the most precious "recipe" of hers is her dressing. She always made it. She'd save all the leftover rice and cornbread and biscuits and freeze them. We'd go to the store for celery, onions and the boxes of stuffing mix. She'd always go by the seafood place and get a little round container of oysters. That was the "secret" ingrediant. Anyway, she always did the dressing until she just couldn't anymore. She told me I could help her from then on. I was so honored to be chosen. She didn't have exact measurements, just what she put in it. I still have it all written down on the same paper when she was telling me how to do it. So I do the same thing now.

My MIL was the same way. Just plain ole country cookin'. But the 2 best cooks ever. My mom didn't cook much. MIL taught me most of what I know now.

Sorry for rambling on so much. Kris
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2008 :  08:19:27 AM  Show Profile
OHHHH! How 'bout Sharin' some of those recipes ladies? They all sound so wonderful!! I don't know what happened to my grandmothers hand written recipes-- she had a box of them that she kept on the kitchen counter and when she passed away several years ago the box disappeared. No one will cop to taking it.

I DO have my mother's old recipe box though. It was one of the few things I kept when she passed away in '97. Some of the recipe's in the box were copied from grandma's, so I was very happy about that, but, sad to say, most of my mother's recipes are clippings from old magazines, newspapers etc... things that can be found in one of those "Brand name Cooking" recipe books... sigh... but, still, they were recipes my mother enjoyed and ones I remember well. Hope you all put those treasured old recipes to good use this Holiday season! Hugs ~~~ Tracy

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Grandma's recipes Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page