Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Christmas ;are you looking forward? Pinkroses
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Christmas ;are you looking forward? Pinkroses Next Topic  

pinkroses
True Blue Farmgirl

2350 Posts

Sheila
Virginia
USA
2350 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2008 :  2:03:19 PM  Show Profile
I am the happiness when it comes to Jan.
I have never cared for the Hoildays
Even when I was a little girl
I suppose it is due to the fact that there were always
arguements started by members of the family
and now this one
However; this Thanksgiving it was very peacefull for once.
So
Are yall looking forward to yet another holiday of cleaning, shopping, and cooking and fussing?
Or
are You counting the days till they are all over ; like me??

www.ohkayteagirl2.blogspot.com
http;//www.sheilascreativetouches.blogspot.com

Mother Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Cindy
Peck ID
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2008 :  8:03:57 PM  Show Profile
Sheila, I am just the opposite of you. I think I'm a born hostess. I love to entertain, decorate, cook, etc. I've always had such a love of Christmas time. Even when I was a young teenager and only had babysitting money to spend on gifts, I would hardly be able to contain myself until Christmas morning to see the faces of my family as they opened the gift I had picked out "just for them". Of course I like to get gifts too, but I think I like to see people happy when they really like something you gave them. It truly is better to give then to receive.

The other thing I like about the holiday season is making food. After Thanksgiving is over, then I decorate for Christmas and start making cookies, fudge, and lots of other goodies. Now that my daughter is 11 this year will be even better. She has started to learn how to cook some and just comes and joins right in when I'm in the kitchen. It's great!!

I'm glad to hear you Thanksgiving was better for you this year, and I'm wishing you a wonderful, stress-reduced, lovingly meaningful Christmas!!

God Bless you and your family.

I will bless the Lord at all times: his praise shall continually be in my mouth. Psalms 34:1
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2008 :  12:09:14 AM  Show Profile
I am looking forward to it too.
I might be alone (with Elvis) for Christmas. Not really what I had hoped but so be it :(. MAYBE my friends will invite me over like they did last year, I just don't know. BUT I will still try to make it a good one, what ever happens.

I will have my tree in a few weeks around the 15th I think, and I will put up decorations that are Elvis-proof, lol.
Make something nice to eat, have books and movies to watch and read. Maybe I will buy me a gift or 2, don't know yet. I am looking forward to receiving the MJF cards, and others from friends and family far away.

Yes, I am looking forward to the Holidays. I will go to church and just make the best of it, play Christmas cd's too.

When mom was alive we always were the 2 of us, unless one of my brothers invited us over. It never was a very festive time with mom, NOT because of her, but just because we felt sad to be just the 2 of us. Often mom didn't want to put up the tree, but I always insisted on doing it anyways. SO if my friends can not invite me over, I will try to make it a festive 2 days. Yes we have 2 Christmas days here, lol.

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

My personal blog:
http://just-me-a-dutch-girl.blogspot.com/

Again new creations added, too cute lol. Come and check it out!!
http://princess-of-pink-creations.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2008 :  03:16:26 AM  Show Profile
Thankfully there's not much fussin' here.

Work kind of dictates what we do and who we see. They rotate us avery other year, so this year I was off for Thanksgiving and have to work Christmas.

Both sets of parents are really cool with this (as if they had a choice) and after going through all kinds of angst when brother and I grew up, my mom especially knows we have a family of our own and never pushes or does the guilt trip thing.

Hubby's parents aren't really into celebrating much at all, no cards or happy greetings, not many traditions either. It's kind of sad.

This year wil be extra special though, as brother and his family are visiting up here. Haven't seem them in a year, and am really interested in hearing about his trip to the Phillipeans from this past summer. We carry on the traditions of reading Christmas books after the dinner and making a candy house with his boys. Think my dad really get sinto it too, but it's brother who gets sappy and like to carry the torches in our family. It's so fun. We'll celebrate around the 20th, so there's a bit of pressure on for shopping now. But we draw names and keep it secret. That keeps it simple and a bit cheaper.
Go to Top of Page

kmbrown
True Blue Farmgirl

459 Posts

Misty
Waynesboro Pennsylvania
USA
459 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2008 :  06:16:07 AM  Show Profile
Normally I am a holiday-aholic. But I have to admit, this year I just can't get it together. Part of the reason I think is because we have had so much sickness in our home and I am plain worn out! Hopefully over the next two weeks I can perk up a bit....this is the first year my oldest really gets Christmas and he is so excited about the tree and lights....maybe he will be able to help get me into the spirit a bit!!
Go to Top of Page

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2008 :  06:36:11 AM  Show Profile
I think it's all a matter of perspective and what I choose to focus on. My mom was more manipulative and "needy" during the Holidays than at any other time of the year, but as a child, I learned that I could either focus on her and be miserable OR I could focus on the positive people in my life. Naturally, whatever I focus on is what I'm going to see.

As for looking forward to the "cleaning, shopping, and cooking", I've never thought of the Holidays that way.

I clean once a week and wipe down the counters, etc., every day, just as I would if it weren't the Holidays.
Shopping? I've been done, with everything wrapped, since weeks before November 1. I learned when my children were little that that simple act made a huge difference.
Cooking? Well, even though I don't like to cook, I look on it as an act of love. My kids and dh help alot with the baking and candy-making and even making Christmas dinner. It's togetherness time, and the end result is something my loved ones -- and I -- enjoy.

Nope, I don't count down the days till the Holidays are over. I savor each and every one.

Some people search for happiness; others create it.

Please email me for all your BeautiControl needs!
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2008 :  07:33:52 AM  Show Profile
Sheila, I'm with you. Everyone tries to make such a big deal about the food and the shopping. It can be so simple. We went to my DD for Thanksgiving. There were too many people and the food was not as good as I would have made. And going to someone eleses house for dinner gave us no leftovers. So yesterday, I baked a turkey breast and just some of the trimmings. Ole Ron and I had a great dinner and have leftovers for today.

My favorite holiday is New Years Day. We do not have company and I watch the parade and football. And we eat regular meals and healthy snacks. And make our plans for the new year.
Go to Top of Page

CountryBorn
True Blue Farmgirl

1545 Posts

Mary Jane
New York
USA
1545 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2008 :  2:44:58 PM  Show Profile
I look forward to the Holidays. Thanksgiving is one of my favorites I must admit. Christmas is a very joyous and happy time too. As long as you don't get bogged down doing way too much. I have learned through the years that it really is the little things that do make it so special. If I don't feel like dragging out every Christmas decoration I own,I don't. This year I am doing the tree and my villages. That's it for big decorations. I love candles and always have a lot of those.Love Christmas music and the wonderful movies too. Our woodstove adds alot of delight to the scene. It's a cozy warm look that I love with the lights from the tree and the villages and the candles. The important thing is to do what does bring you joy. Not to just do things because they are expected or others are pressuring you too. I love to shop for my family. I am not one who buys a lot of things during the year. But, at Christmas I so enjoy picking things out that I know the people I love will enjoy. It makes me so happy to see how they smile and appreciate it. Making cookies is a tradition I enjoy. But, with that too, I make the ones I really want to now and have cut out the ones that were just a routine. We only have so many Christmas's, I feel do what brings the most meaning and happiness to our lives. The other stuff, let it go!

Hugs and Happy Holidays !!
Mary Jane

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do. Freya Stark
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2008 :  2:50:21 PM  Show Profile
You know, normally I am all about the holidays. I love listening to Christmas carols at Thanksgiving; I decorate everything in red and green including my kids and my truck. I love the holiday cheer and the ado of Christmas shopping and being up to my ears in bows and tape.
This year though, I just can't get into it. I was thinking of maybe skipping the Christmas tree but for the kids that husband insist we put one up for them.
I think maybe that its my hubby hasnt been able to find a job since June or that we arent moved into the new house because of the job. I just dont know. I want to be Christmas-y this year, but really just can't get into it. I guess Ill be the grinch this season.:O)

Jessie
Farmgirl Sister #235

Go to Top of Page

pinkroses
True Blue Farmgirl

2350 Posts

Sheila
Virginia
USA
2350 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2008 :  2:59:57 PM  Show Profile
We have not put up a tree in years
For one thing no room
for another.
I love the old fashioned colored lights
Hubby would fuss that we were putting to many lights on tree.
he fussed about going after the tree
putting the tree up
so,
instead of hearing him fuss I quit doing it
Now that we are soon getting into our new home
They want to put up a tree.
well,
really we don't have the room there eighter
Hubby said something about decorating the outside?
He was never interested in doing that here
Down at the farm whos going to be looking any ways
just the cows.
So, I am going to try to talk them out of it
We are all adults here any ways
and then all the taking down and putting away.
Ba Hum bug.Lol
Pinkroses

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2008 :  8:38:51 PM  Show Profile
When I was younger, Christmas was great. When I was about 6 or 7 I heard sleigh bells in the sky on Christmas eve. I'll never forget that. My brother and I would always wake up early and go shake boxes and see how many were ours. Such bad kids, I know. But it was so fun.

Now that I am older, so much older, things are a bit different. I think if it weren't fot my husband and the grandkids, I wouldn't get anything out at all. But they come and beg to put up Christmas things. They put the decorations on the tree and all the other things out. That kind of helps with the mood.

I did get a cute snowman fireplace screen the other day and a snowman night light, too. And lots of cinnamon apple candles and oils to make the house smell good.

I think my reason for the blahs is menopause. It's been this way the last few years now. When does it stop??

I am looking forward to Christmas a little more each day. I listen to a little Christmas music each day. Not too much because I don't want to get tired of it too soon. And I do want to remember why we do this in the first place. I don't want to lose sight of the true meaning of this season. At church this morning we lit the first advent candle. It was nice to be there on this first day of advent and to celebrate this season with church family. That also makes it nicer.

So I hope, Sheila, that you can put up a little tree and remember why we do all this. I know we have to take things down, move things around and all that, just to make room for something that will only be here a few short weeks. Then we have to redo it all again. But I think it makes out hearts young again and we need that so much. So I try to focus on the why of it all and I get through it and am so glad I did.

I will be thinking of you during this time and praying you get "some spirit".

Kris
Go to Top of Page

palmettogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

571 Posts

sue
camden south carolina
USA
571 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2008 :  05:57:32 AM  Show Profile
i'm going to have dick help me bring our decorations in today and start getting some of them up. i think that "thinking" about getting all the stuff out is kind of overwhelming, but once you get it out, everything looks so pretty and inspiring. usually i have almost all my christmas shopping done by now, this year i decided not to do everything---(just picked up some gifts throughout the year)but i'm even looking forward to doing some of the shopping now. last year when i had so many people over for thanksgiving i was so tired i didn't really enjoy it....but again, this year we only had my two kids (one home from college and the other in high school) and it was intimate and easy and much more enjoyable. i'm thinking about having a cocktail party around the 20th and inviting some friends over....and frankly, if you have friends over without the family (over-powering mother-in-law!?!) it'll probably be more fun! at any rate...ENJOY the Holiday Season!!!
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2008 :  09:40:41 AM  Show Profile
We live in the country, at the end of a dirt road. We have no children living here (except me, I refuse to grow up) I believe in Christmas all aspects & beliefs. I have always asked that Hubby put up the lights outside around the house & trees. I have my tree up & when the grandkids were here this weekend They decorated it *(all ornaments on one side)and at their level. It is My christmas! We will be going to Washington Dec 20th. I am taking small gifts of homemade goodies to my husbands family. He grew up in a(non-celebrating family, for birthdays, And All holidays especially after they "grew up!") DH says Now he really gets it...He sees What family is and how my family operates. He is a much happier person seeing how the Christmas Spirit flows in my family. He has only been in my life 8 years but He gets it! Christmas and Family are my favorite time of the year. He donates to the food bank every year now and does it on his own. He also chooses a special gift for each of my grandchildren. Just from him..(says he remembers his grampy giving him $5 every christmas when he was small) I think I am the luckiest woman ... wife and mother!... .Nobody sees our lighted house & tree in the window all lit up.. But We do and we do it together.

http://www.k-fallsfarmgirl.blogspot.com/

Cheryl #309
Farm girl sister

Enjoy the little things in life....someday you'll look back and realize they were the big things.
Go to Top of Page

La Patite Ferme
True Blue Farmgirl

623 Posts

Jenn
CA
USA
623 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2008 :  10:14:50 AM  Show Profile
I can't say I'm looking forward to it being over, but I'm also not looking forward to the hoards of rushing rude people. I think as I get older I try more to focus on what Christmas is all about. DD and i like to go to choir performances. We lay out a picnic on our coffee table, start a fire, put music on and decorate the tree. We walk through town with our thermos of hot cocoa and look at all the decorations. She thinks I'm wierd cause I gather pinecones as we go so i can fill my bowls and vases with them when we get home.

It's taken me a long time to ignore the manipulations of others so I can move towards celebrating the holidays in a way that's meaningful to me. And, DD loves our laid back, casual, nature oriented approach. I told my family year's ago that I'm not going to have my holiday with my daughter ruined by family squabbles. In fact, one year it got so bad DD and I packed our things and left grandmas house without a word because the arguments with my brother got so heated. OMG the man can have an argument with himself.

I get soooo tired of being interrogated about why we donate to our food bank, give old coats that DD has grown out of to our church and select an orphan or child of an incarcerated person to play Santa to. We are so thankful about how life is for us, even after the divorce, that this is what we do.

So Sheila, from one not so fond of the holidays to another, my suggestion would be to think about how you would really like your holiday to be and make it your own. Do what makes you happy and brings you meaning even if it's on a small scale.

Go to Top of Page

pinkroses
True Blue Farmgirl

2350 Posts

Sheila
Virginia
USA
2350 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2008 :  11:34:17 AM  Show Profile
Yall know
I do remember the reason for the celebration
That is what gets me through
Somehow.
Christmas has gotten so commecilized ( is that a word?) LOl
You know one Holiday I do look forward to is
Easter.
The reason for Easter ,
So,
There is one Holiday that I do like.Lol

Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2008 :  11:54:14 AM  Show Profile
My tag line says a lot ....Christmas can be what you make it...

http://www.k-fallsfarmgirl.blogspot.com/

Cheryl #309
Farm girl sister

Enjoy the little things in life....someday you'll look back and realize they were the big things.
Go to Top of Page

vermont v
True Blue Farmgirl

194 Posts

Victoria
Chester Vermont
USA
194 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2008 :  2:42:38 PM  Show Profile

I love the Christmas tree.I like the smell and the way it looks and its hard to get rid of it in January! We have old ornaments and some wooden birds we put up. Its peaceful with just the two of us; although we chat with family on the phone. I don't decorate a lot but I like the few things I have. We will have a fire in the fireplace and take a drive down a snowy backroad.Last year we had much loved company from Texas who wanted a wintery Vermont Christmas and oh boy they got it!Our village is very Christmassy with lots of lights and decorations.The classic New England holiday look;its nice.
Go to Top of Page

dkelewae
True Blue Farmgirl

1310 Posts

Diana
Saint Peters MO
USA
1310 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2008 :  3:22:02 PM  Show Profile
I've always loved Christmas and probably always will. For me it's not about getting gifts, but spending time enjoying my family and friends. Over the years I've lost my grandparents, my favorite uncle, a cousin, and some friends, so I cherish the Christmases of the past for the memories, and the present and future ones because of the memories that will be created.

At church yesterday, our pastor had us tell the congregation about how our Christmas was as a child, and what it is like now. Of course there were those who remember their favorite toy or gift, but frankly what came to my mind was the family gathering together, my dad dressing up as Santa for all of us when we were little, and then again for all the grandbabies when they were small, baking with my mom and aunt, going to see the windows downtown which were all decorated, follwed by a visit to Santa, going caroling and having hot cocoa afterwards, and driving around on Christmas Eve looking at all the lights in town.

My kids are all grown now, and there are a lot less people at the family Christmas gathering, due to death, distance, drifting apart over the years, and other family obligations. And that actually made me sad, because I miss those Christmas pasts. But all I have to do is remember how very blessed I am. I have a roof over my head, food to eat, clothes to wear, and people who love me.

Sure, we're under financial woes like many many others this year, so instead of getting caught up in the commercial spend spend spend mode, this year I'm doing handmade gifts. Every stitch I knit or seam I sew will become something that will someday be a cherished heirloom memory for my family and friends when I'm gone to be with my Savior...who is the true reason for this season.

Diana
Farmgirl Sister #272
St. Peters MO
Country Girl trapped in the city!

http://farmgirldreams.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Christmas ;are you looking forward? Pinkroses Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page