Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Cinnamon dough ornaments
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Cinnamon dough ornaments Next Topic  

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9092 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9092 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2008 :  12:19:41 PM  Show Profile
I was just reading some old posts from a few years ago and was reminded about these ornaments. Equal parts cinnamon and apple sauce. Roll them out, cut the shape, put a hole in for a ribbon. let dry for a few days. there were other recipes but this was the easy one. SOOO I might have to try it.
Go to my site and sign up for the apron cook book giveaway. I will draw a name tomorrow.
NANCY JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com

Bonne
True Blue Farmgirl

3003 Posts

Bonne
Littleton CO
USA
3003 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2008 :  12:26:46 PM  Show Profile
Kewl! Thanks Nancy~cute apron. ;)

http://bonne1313.blogspot.com/ BLOG
Go to Top of Page

Marcy
True Blue Farmgirl

2701 Posts

Marcy
Tiverton Rhode Island
USA
2701 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2008 :  12:43:10 PM  Show Profile
Oh, wow! This sounds like so much fun. Thanks for sharing this!

Farmgirl #170

Since you get more joy out of giving joy to others, you should put a good deal of thought into the happiness that you are able to give.
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2008 :  12:44:28 PM  Show Profile
The house will smell so good, too. MB

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2008 :  2:08:42 PM  Show Profile
Mind reader...I've got mine hanging from the cupboard knobs right now. I made a batch with ginger and powdered lemongrass too. Pretty antique yellow and so fragrant. Pumpkin pie spice mix works nicely too.

We make a difference. http://huckleberrywine.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9092 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9092 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2008 :  2:14:28 PM  Show Profile
Michelle, did you use the applesauce in the mix? How long did you dry them?

Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2008 :  4:02:06 PM  Show Profile
Hey...great minds think alike...I have an ornament/cookie party December 8th so I was going to email you NJ and see if you had any suggestions but I went and made twig stars with red floss wrapping the points (hot glued underneath though) and then I used an anise star for the top with red floss for hanging on the tree. I was going to use cinnamon sticks for the star shape but they were too thick and short. I KNEW I should have asked the MJ girls first!!!! Wrapping that floss around the star points is taking a LONG time! I have them all made just need to do the floss part and the anise and the hangar.
I'm going to try your cinnamon ones too....I like to use them on packages too for decoration or maybe a garland would be nice.
A friend of mine made little wreathes out of 1 inch squares of felted wool which she strung on some wire and when "full" of the little squares (in all different colors) she formed it into a wreath and then put a red bow on the twisted wire at the top. They are SO cute but she had to cut LOTS of 1 inch squares of felted wool. She has a lot of scraps because she does penny mats and such plus she wons a quilt shop...need I say more. Anyway...I think I'll have a fire tonight...it is getting colder down here and rain turning to snow maybe! The other day it was 70! I have a bad cold and can't get warm...maybe some spiced cider on the stove too...it is the night for it! LOve having you gals to talk to!

Sam in AR..... "It's a great life if you don't weaken!"
Farmgirl Sister #226

www.farmgirlsam.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9092 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9092 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2008 :  4:38:54 PM  Show Profile
Boy Sam you have been busy. I love stars, I should make one, or buy one, which would probably be nicer then one I would make. We SHOULD BE GETTING A FAIR AMOUNT OF snow this week, so that cider thing sounds good. Take care of that cold of yours. Get out the vicks!
Nancy Jo

Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2008 :  7:35:00 PM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
i have made those ornaments for years! one of the prettiest things i did with them was to hang 4 of them at a different levels with gold cord from a dowel wrapped with purple velvet. i gave it to my VERY PICKY and stuck up sis as a chirstmas gift and she loved it! sadly because she lived in a very humid place it did mold after a couple years. i think after the scent goes away perhaps reaying them with a clear coating of some kind might make them a more permanant. they are pretty hung with colored ribbons from a simple tree branch also. i havent done it yet but one of my "someday" plans is to make a "gingerbread house" with it. the recipe works gret with cloves, nutmeg and any ohter ground spice! your house will smell so wonderful and its all natural! be sure to cut them no more than 1/4 inch thick and dry in a very slow oven on a cookie rack until thoroughly dry. how long that takes depends on the humidity where you live. they can be decorated with things like ....oh those little silver balls you put on cookies (cant think of the name of them grrrrrrrrr) or most anythign else that wont melt at low temps. you can also add decorations that can be glued on after they are dry. it takes longer but they can be air dried if your house is quite low in humidity. let us know what wonderful creations all of you make from them! peace connie in alaska
Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
Smoky Mountains Tennessee
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2008 :  11:48:05 PM  Show Profile
I made these cinnamon ornament decades ago..it takes a ton of cinnamon..Sam's sells the large containers at a reasonable price.

Stephanie
www.queenofdreamsz.blogspot.com ~~~Crochet, Sewing, Life Collections & Recollections Blog
www.dreamkingdomdesigns.blogspot.com Vintage & Modern Fabric, Fiber & Yarn Blog
www.dreamkingdomdesigns.com ~~~~~Go Shopping at my Website Catalog!!
Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2008 :  12:10:16 AM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
a lot of grocery stores that carry bulk spices (kroger. fred meyers etc) will sell you an entire bag at 10% (or more) less than the shelf price. peace connie in alaska
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2008 :  10:30:39 AM  Show Profile
I used 3/4 c. homemade applesauce and 1 c. powdered spice, and a wee bit of elmer's glue (1/2 tsp?). I had the best luck when I let the applesauce drain a while. I used an antique food mill, but any fine mesh strainer would work. If the dough gets too dry, just add a bit more applesauce. I rolled the dough between layers of wax paper. You don't want it crumbly, but firm enough to hold together.

I cut out stars of different sizes in brown and yellow and layered them into a wreath held in place with glue. Top with a gingham ribbon. Very pretty and fragrant.

A drop of essential oil can refresh old cutouts, or you can just make new ones each year and compost the old ones.

I had the best luck drying them at 200 for 2 hours...and it is humid here now (rain, fog). Just remember to turn them over about every 10 minutes or so or they will begin to curl...nice touch if you want it, but not if you want them flat for a wreath. A drinking straw makes a great little hole and you can blow the "hole" out. I dried these too and put them in an empty spice jar tucked in the drawer with the outer lid off...just the shaker part on to keep the bits in.

Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2008 :  11:10:32 AM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
what a great idea for a wreath!
i forgot that i also put a small amouny (maybe 1 tablespoon full) of orris root to help preserve them scent. peace connie in alaska
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2008 :  12:12:58 PM  Show Profile
SO is this just plain applesauce and cinnamon?? And that dries??
Wow, I learn something new here every single day!

Oke, I googled, lol. and found this site with a few more recipes.
I really DO think to try it, sounds fun

http://www.handmadecountry.com/ezine/cinnamon.html

And here is the original site with all kinds of things to do-make!!
http://www.handmadecountry.com/ezine/christmasezine.html

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands

Edited by - dutchy on Nov 30 2008 12:18:22 PM
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2008 :  12:21:13 PM  Show Profile
Oh, what about making poinsettas out of paprika and letting them curl for a 3D effect/bending them to your desired shape with wadded up newspaper? Leaves could be made of any green herb powdered really fine, and you could roll a veiny pattern onto it out of a cabbage leaf. This really is a good way to change out old spices and get fresh, fragrant new ones. Especially if you have essential oils handy and the fragrance of the spice/herb isn't so important.

Go to Top of Page

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2008 :  12:21:42 PM  Show Profile
Nancy jo, you are just filled with great ideas. I think i may fall for these...I have so many homemade ornaments, but these sound sweet and they must smell great. And thank you, Marian, for posting the recipe variations....

Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2008 :  1:27:14 PM  Show Profile
I have always used school glue in mine as well. I've never tried it without. I make these with my kindergarten kids every year!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2008 :  3:55:35 PM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
i just fiugred out what to use for the green leaves! ground sage! it would be perfect and would dd a wonderful scent to the ther spices! peace connie in alaska
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2008 :  5:31:05 PM  Show Profile
I have also made these for years when i taught preschool and we only used cinnamon and applesauce. they do dry. We just laid them on a counter and let the kids turn theirs everyday. It took about a week to dry and then we let the kids decorate them with paints. oh the room smelled so good for the whole week they were drying. and mine at home I just refreshed with a drop of cinnamon oil. they are so easy and so fun.

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett Beverley with an extra E...
http://bevsdoggies.googlepages.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Cinnamon dough ornaments Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page