Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Farmgirl Thanksgiving Stories
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Farmgirl Thanksgiving Stories Next Topic  

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2008 :  12:29:28 PM  Show Profile
How did your day go and did it include a farmgirl story?

I will start off! I wore one of my vintage aprons today in a new place. After hubby and I went to a 10:00 church service, we volunteered to serve a give away Thanksgiving dinner for the Homeless. In two hours, we helped serve up 1500 dinners to anyone who came. There were many homeless there, and older folks and even families with many children......they also had a live band playing, free soft drinks, plus the complete turkey dinner with all the trimmings.

I got a lot of compliments on my farmgirl apron that I proudly wore while dishing up mashed potatoes for 2 hours. Some said it reminded them of their grandmothers. Go farmgirls!

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2008 :  1:24:48 PM  Show Profile
What a wonderful thing to do. I'm very impressed.

Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2008 :  5:00:37 PM  Show Profile
Way to go Jeannie! i used to do that when I lived up north. I know there must be a need down here but I never hear about anything. I REALLY enjoyed it and it made holidays so much more meaningful and grateful. God bless you and your family on this Thanksgiving Day!

Sam in AR..... "It's a great life if you don't weaken!"
Farmgirl Sister #226

www.farmgirlsam.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2008 :  03:15:10 AM  Show Profile
Now that's the true spirit

My MIL needs to do something humbling like this

My own family made brekki every Sat a.m. for years for the homeless shelter in Cincinnati. Brother did it one Christmas a.m. I had planned to go with him......it was to have been our last Christmas together in the same house. Sadly, I had the flu and had barely made it through the Christmas Eve service the night before. He woke me up at 4 a.m. Believe me, the spirit was willing, but the flesh said uhhh 'scuse me we are REALLY sick right now. So brother went to the homeless shelter to serve Christmas breakfast that day, and it's something I sure wish I had been in a healthier state of mind to have done.

Pretty amazing when some folks are so grateful for just a warm cup of coffee and a hard boiled egg.
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2008 :  09:41:15 AM  Show Profile
It was a great time, and I tried not to let myself be sad.....but I was when I saw a man going all over the parking lot picking up used cigarette butts and saving them in his pocket. Some sat on their belongings to eat, and would not leave them. But for that day, anyway, they had food and music and it was a nice day, weatherwise, too.

Farmgirl Sister # 31

Go to Top of Page

Mother Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Cindy
Peck ID
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2008 :  8:26:15 PM  Show Profile
God Bless you and your family Jeannie. I've wanted to do that for a very long time, but my ex never would even consider it, and now my DH and I live in an area where I don't hear of anything like that.
My mother-in-law passed away in September and my son moved to live with his father in FL so it was going to be just my daughter and DH and I until I invited a young family from church to join us, and to our surprise when they accepted they asked if his parents could come also. So we ended up with 8 at our table instead of just us 3. It was very nice. At least it felt like a holiday with so many here to join us.

Oh, and I did where one of my vintage aprons all day, and got a compliment on it also. Bonus!

I will bless the Lord at all times: his praise shall continually be in my mouth. Psalms 34:1

Edited by - Mother Hen on Nov 29 2008 8:27:21 PM
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2008 :  8:57:23 PM  Show Profile
Our holiday was very nice, I posted family pictures and details on my site. Enjoy the read.

http://www.k-fallsfarmgirl.blogspot.com/

Cheryl #309
Farm girl sister

Enjoy the little things in life....someday you'll look back and realize they were the big things.
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2008 :  11:36:03 AM  Show Profile
Enjoyed the photos and the x-mas music too! You had a great family time!

Farmgirl Sister # 31

Go to Top of Page

palmettogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

571 Posts

sue
camden south carolina
USA
571 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2008 :  11:51:41 AM  Show Profile
great pictures and yes, the music made me just sing along---which was probably unfortunate for the rest of my family as my singing ability has a lot to be desired!! looked like a great time!!
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Farmgirl Thanksgiving Stories Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page