Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Holidays
 How are you decorating ur farmgirl christmas tree?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Holidays: Previous Topic How are you decorating ur farmgirl christmas tree? Next Topic
Page: of 2

hanlonfive
Farmgirl in Training

39 Posts

Kelli
Galion Ohio
USA
39 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2008 :  6:36:56 PM  Show Profile  Send hanlonfive a Yahoo! Message
I have some ideas of how I want to decorate my tree, but was wondering how all of you are going to do yours?

I will post mine later......

Kelli

"Not all who wander are lost".

Visit my blog!
http://2dreamlucid.blogspot.com

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2008 :  6:48:54 PM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
I'm still trying to figure out just where I'm going to put my tree up at. I've carted so much stuff home this year, I've kinda managed to fill up my "tree corner." But once I get it up I plan on decorating it with my usual ornies-- homemadies from the kids and ones that I made as a kid and I have some new additions this year. Some very pretty and cute ornies from some of my farmgirl sisters.

Melanie

Shop~ http://www.squidoo.com/buyinghomemade
Blog~ http://wheelsarealwaysturning.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2008 :  6:49:30 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I have a hodgepodge of ornaments collected over the past years, so our tree always looks about the same, but new ornaments get added each year!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

PlumCreekMama
True Blue Farmgirl

730 Posts

Heather
Iowa
USA
730 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2008 :  8:31:50 PM  Show Profile
This year I want to string some popcorn and maybe have Tate help me make a construction paper chain. I have quite a few handmade decorations and hope I have time to make some more. Just nothing breakable! Sullivan is at that age and Tate's still into stuff a lot and I don't want anything on there that I can't fix or would be upset about getting broken.

http://plumcreekmama.blogspot.com/

http://plumcreekcreations.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Laura Marie
True Blue Farmgirl

419 Posts

Laura
Rancho Cordova California
USA
419 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2008 :  9:17:22 PM  Show Profile
I'm still trying to deciede. My boyfriend is Jewish. So I'm thinking of combining the two ideas. But then again I think it would be fun to decorate it as a country girl themed tree. I don't know. I need to figure out what I do have. I love christmas and what the holiday spirit is so big in me. I have so many boxes of decorations. I should go through it and add some stuff to my yard sale on Sunday...I will post my tree when I have it up!

Laura Marie #369
lauramariedesign.com

"It's not the size of the farm but the size of your heart!"
Go to Top of Page

peggysue
True Blue Farmgirl

267 Posts

Peggy
Tulsa Oklahoma
267 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2008 :  10:18:08 PM  Show Profile
i'm still trying to figure out where to put my tree that is cat proof.. as for decorating, i am doing an angel tree this year.. most are handmade primmies

visit me at my blog
mousiesmom.wordpress.com
http://youravon.com/pmcclure
Go to Top of Page

rhondacate
True Blue Farmgirl

234 Posts

Rhonda
Janesville CA
USA
234 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2008 :  10:30:53 PM  Show Profile
I have a bunch of world globe map ornaments, so I try to do my tree with a "world" theme. But they are hard to find, so it is sparse still.

I also have a ton of homemade star ornaments that I made one year, but I think I am going with the world globes and when we start having kids, we'll do more of a hodge-podge tree.

~Rhonda

http://rmfo-blogs.com/rhonda
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2008 :  10:44:38 PM  Show Profile
no tree this year..sold it in a garage sale to thin out things to get ready for selling house.
but I'll probably set up some of the Christmas Village on the buffet in the dining room.
I got rid of most of my Christmas items this summer.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
visit me at:
http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and at www.stliving.net
you can also check out my etsy shops at:http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2008 :  11:04:29 AM  Show Profile
Corn starch packing peanuts stuck together to make cute angels...I have to make something cute and recycled for the store tree! I dont even think we are doing one at home...

Do what you can, with what you have, right where you are. - Roosevelt
www.thelittlegreenstore.embarqspace.com
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2008 :  11:12:33 AM  Show Profile
I have a big one, just bought it last year. BUT then I didn't have Elvis yet, yikes!
SO will have to see where I will put it where he can't get to it, lol

I have bought a bag of pink ornaments and want to add those, plus I have all the vintage ones from my momma's fave aunt. They are 60 or 70 years old, so cute and pretty (the ornaments I mean, duh)!

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

My personal blog:
http://just-me-a-dutch-girl.blogspot.com/

Again new creations added, too cute lol. Come and check it out!!
http://princess-of-pink-creations.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2008 :  11:49:37 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Well we always have real tree that is fresh cut by my husband. He and our grandson, Houston, take the saw and go and do their manly thing,lol. We always get as big a one as we can fit in the house. I have been collecting old world type/victorian glass ornaments for several years now. I like that old timey look. The grandbeasties help decorate it, yes, some get broke, but that's okay because we have enjoyed them while they were with us :) My daughter calls our tree the Griswald Family Tree,LOL I love all the different shapes of the ornaments and the GBs(Grandbeasties)love finding their favorite ones every year. I have got to the point that I actually could not have a tree, but the family would be sorely disapointed, so I plow through, LOL

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
MJ's Heirloom Mavens Badgebadger
MJ's Heirloom Mavens Bookclub Coordinator
"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

hanlonfive
Farmgirl in Training

39 Posts

Kelli
Galion Ohio
USA
39 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2008 :  11:59:16 AM  Show Profile  Send hanlonfive a Yahoo! Message
Great ideas ladies! I have been thinking along the lines of "cozy". Meaning, everything homemade....using fabric scraps and natural items such as pinecones and acorns:) Once I get everything done I'll try to post pics:)

"Not all who wander are lost".

Visit my blog!
http://2dreamlucid.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2008 :  2:53:13 PM  Show Profile
I love handmade ornaments, and the old glass ones. I have tucked thowe glass ones away until the cats get a little older and more well behaved. I made lots of felt ornaments over the years, some embroidered, some beaded. i even made a felt cup of coffee, as that first cup of coffee in the morning is magic to me....Last year we were all so woebegone we didn't bother with a tree, but I think this year we will have a smallish one. My daughter wants to make paper chains, and I have to make some new Danish red and white woven paper baskets, some of the old stuff is looking pretty grisly....of course I have things my kids have made and I love the tiny wooden snowmen you can still find occasionally at a dimestore in a set with other little wooden bits. I have garlands with little paper Danish flags ( my mom was Danish) and some funny little straw ornaments. I love to load the tree right up...

Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

knittingmom
True Blue Farmgirl

665 Posts

AnneMarie
Edmonton Alberta
Canada
665 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2008 :  3:03:48 PM  Show Profile
My tree is mismatched. I've made some ornaments from felt and blanket stiched around the edges, mittens, stars and gingerbread men (traced from cookie cutters), embelished with fabric glitter and stiching. Lights of course. I also have some clear glass balls and a few ornaments from my parents' tree, ornaments I've received from friends. Of course the little things the kids have made over the years. I think a Christmas tree is meant to hold memories.
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2008 :  09:34:12 AM  Show Profile
This year will be the seashore tree. I rotate tree styles every year. So the seashells, fish and all the other seashore items will come out and decorate our tree. For the past several years I have been searching for a tree topper to go with this theme and finally this last year when we were on vacation at the coast I found a Star Fish tree topper at my favorite Christmas store in Lincoln City, OR. Apparently some of the women who work at the store create some of the ornaments that they sell there and this was one of them.

We won't be getting our tree for at least another two weeks due to limited space in our house.

Anne in Portland, OR

"Weeds are flowers too, once you get to know them" Eyeore from Winnie the Pooh
Go to Top of Page

MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2008 :  11:00:36 AM  Show Profile
I have taken to foam balls and a lot of straight pins and lots of little(1/2 to 1/4)strips of fabric and ribbons and string and starting at the top with the widest material first, pin one end of the fabric, wrap around and pin the other end right where you began. continue until you have one layer around, and if it frays, it looks even better. then do a few strips of ribbon, and then a piece or two of string over the ribbon. you can pin on a sprig of pine or cedar at the top, and then pin on a loop to hang it!
I'll take some pics in the next few days and post them...
Go to Top of Page

clux64
True Blue Farmgirl

162 Posts

Celeste
Blair NE
USA
162 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2008 :  08:58:31 AM  Show Profile
I collect old vintage ornaments (like from the 30's and 40's) and cover the tree with them. I want to put 'icicles' on the tree to add to the vintage feel, but in the past my cats have tried to eat it and I'm afraid someone will choke. I want to make a garland out of yo-yos...but that hasn't happened yet. Anyway, vintage ornaments are pretty cheap, and can often be found at farm estate auctions--I sometimes get several boxes for under $5. They just have the feel of christmas that I remember growing up. I also buy my kids each a Radko ornament of their choosing each year...I'll give them their ornaments when they establish their own homes. Since most of the Radko are from vintage molds, they fit right in with my vintage ornaments. I love Christmas!

Celeste

"No matter where you go, there you are"
--Confucious

www.urbanprairiehome.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2008 :  12:17:22 PM  Show Profile
I would not even do a tree anymore, but when there are grandkids around, it has to done. I let them decorate our tree. It always looks so cute when they're done with it. Most of the decorations are old, homemade by kids and grands. It takes them nearly all day, but keeps them busy, too! It is hard to get things moved around to make a spot for a tree in this small house. But we usually find a place for it.

This year I am going to put garland and lights on the picket fence in front of my goat yard. And red bows, too. I'll see how long that lasts! I just thought it would be pretty at night lit up for the goats to see.

Lately it just seems like so much work for just a few weeks. I used to do the whole house up and have peolpe over all the time, but not any more. I don't know if that comes with age or what. I think it's an age thing, myself.

Ya'll have fun with your trees. Can't wait to see pictures soon!

Kris
Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2008 :  1:50:14 PM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
Last year I decorated a palm tree (Drachena) with white lights, some glittered branches and poinsettia blooms.

This year we have a real tree - first in four years. I've wrapped the root-quality burlap around the base as a skirt, and am making small bows from other bits of better-quality burlap. I have a few antique ornaments and then several nondescript ball glass ornaments, and a few favorites collected from our childhoods.

And even though we don't have kids, there is a pickle ornament hidden in there somewhere.
Go to Top of Page

farmmom22
True Blue Farmgirl

616 Posts

Tammy
Scottsville KY
USA
616 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2008 :  11:53:52 AM  Show Profile
There is definately no money to buy any new ornaments so I've been making my own the past two years. I make salt dough stars and paint them up all primitive, I make cinnamon dough and use my farm animal cookie cutters to make ornies. Then I dip them in wax and hang to let dry. I also make rag ball ornies, old fashion clothespins that I paint and everything gets hung on the tree with torn homespun. Next year I want to make a garland using twine and tying torn homespun on it. If anyone wants the salt dough or cinnamon applesauce dough recipes let me know.

Best farm wishes
Go to Top of Page

msjocee
True Blue Farmgirl

129 Posts

Josie
Canyon Country CA
USA
129 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2008 :  4:51:16 PM  Show Profile
My tree is up (fake), I have lots of vintage ornaments that were my grandparents and my neighbors gave me her parents since she had no kids. I found vintage bead garland this year too. I have "flicker" lights as well and old tarnished star on top. I will try to post a few pics I have the handemade ones from the kids and hallmark ones too! I have a table with a load of Santa's on it a cupboard shelef with snowmen and a wreath my mom made me last year with all the remaing vintage ornaments from her mom it hangs year round in my hall way. Oh also hidden in out tree is a 9 inch nail that represts Jesus and what he did for us. You hang it near the trunk. The kids are always amazed at how big it is and how heavy it is.

Mom to wild boys: Miah(10), and Jakie(6)

"Everything is Possible for They who believe."
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2008 :  09:30:49 AM  Show Profile
I've been collecting ornaments for so many years--even before I had a house! A Christmas tree is a must--in fact, when we were first married, we were so broke we didn't get anyone a gift, but we made sure all the bills were paid, waited until Christmas Eve when they marked trees down and bought one because it was that important to us :)

I've travelled and lived all over the US and in Britain, so a great deal of my ornaments are from places that mean something to me, so each and every year I get them out, it takes me right back to where I was when I bought the ornament. Most, if not all, are handmade by artisans where I purchased them. We always use white lights...don't know why, it's what we bought that first year, I guess, along with the same bronze turkish star tree topper that we bought dirt cheap on clearance that makes wonderful little patterns on the ceiling when lit.

I do supplement some old glass bulbs from my Great Aunt and things like that, but our tree rarely changes, and I'm super alright with that!!!
Go to Top of Page

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2008 :  6:52:15 PM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
I thought I would post a pic of my tree since I got her up. I decided not to put lights on the tree this year. Yeah it's missing a lil something, but there's lots of plus sides to it. I'll save money on my electric bill, lessen my chances for a fire, didn't have a cussin fit puttin the tree up, wasn't in a foul mood by the time I got it put together, didn't get scratched up....
The kids put most of the ornaments on the tree. They didn't think they were ever going to get them all on the tree. And well they still don't have all of them on the tree. I think we ran out of places to put them. Oh yeah I have an ornament fetish. LOL

I'd love to see how everyone else's trees turn out.

Melanie

Shop~ http://www.squidoo.com/buyinghomemade
Blog~ http://wheelsarealwaysturning.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

sweetproserpina
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

meg
Vinemount Ontario
Canada
535 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2008 :  06:38:10 AM  Show Profile
My tree is very old-fashioned/vintagey. I have the antique ornaments (100years+) that I have from my godmother, and I have my own vintage ornaments (30's-50's) that decorate the tree. I also have a number of handmade victorian style ornaments made from copies of old victorian papers, cards, and sparkly pipe cleaners, shiny silver glass bead garlands, and slightly tarnished silver ball ornaments too. A (fake)dove always sits at the top of my tree, instead of a star.

This year though, I am strongly thinking I'm going to do a Victorian table top tree instead of a big one. I inherited a lovely victorian pedestal table this year, and I thought it would be kind of neat to try a smaller tree on top of it.

I'm also putting up (and decorating!) a great big grape vine swag that I made that's going to go above the big window in the front room. I think it's a country Victorian christmas this year =:-)

"Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world."
http://quaintandkeepinghouse.blogspot.com New Homekeeping Blog!
http://theprimroseway.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

jumpingjuliet
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

becky
oroville CA
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2008 :  5:04:33 PM  Show Profile
I am doing multiple trees. The main tree is a big real tree with all of the sentimental handmade family ornaments. The second one is all handblown glass figure onaments, the third is my hubby's tree with texaco lights and his miniature texaco trucks as ornaments and a few tractor and cowboy ornaments thrown in. The next tree is an artificial that already has pine cones and berries and I hang all hand crocheted snowflakes made by my great aunt all over it with white twinkle lights. The last is a little tree in the kitchen with tiny blown glass ornaments and snowflakes on it. This is the first year that I have gotten into decorating for Christmas although I am always collecting CHristmas stuff. This year I am enjoying it. To kind of cat proof things. anchor your tree to the wall or ceiling with high test fishing line and a cup hook. tie your ornaments on with twist ties or pipe cleaners. This is how we toddler/ dog/ cat proof ours.
Merry Christmas
Becky

I am one with my inner farm girl!
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2008 :  10:43:45 PM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
love the pic...thanks! and all the ideas sound great....
this year I'm doing some yoyos for mine....bought a 7 ft tree (not christmas, but regular looking tree) I think I'll put some garland on it and use the smaller Christmas trees on my dining table. I hang crochet chains around to put the cards on and also some ornaments. Sometimes I stuck the Christmas cards right inside the tree when I put the biggest one up.

Linda in Scranton, PA
farmgirl #71
May we always be in thankful contemplation.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Holidays: Previous Topic How are you decorating ur farmgirl christmas tree? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page