Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Family Matters
 I'm starting to feel the stress....
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Family Matters: Previous Topic I'm starting to feel the stress.... Next Topic  

simplyflowers
True Blue Farmgirl

489 Posts

Jamie
Locust Grove Virginia
USA
489 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2008 :  02:56:21 AM  Show Profile
I don't know why I do this to myself. I have been fine right up to now.

I did the shopping for the big day last Saturday, got most everything I need. The number of people joining us this year for the feast is a bit fewer than last. So the total of people here will be about 9 this year.

Well, I was sitting here relaxing and then I was thinking of the things I have to do before Thursday morning....and OMG I started to break a sweat just thinking about it. The logical part of me says..."Jamie, you can get all of this done plus some, don't worry about it".....Then the other part says..."AHHHHHH, LOOK AT ALL THE STUFF I'VE GOT TO DO!!!!"

I think the only part that's getting to me is the pies. But I'm taking off tomorrow so I'll have all day to do it. This year, I'm making 1 mince meat, 2 pumpkin, 1 apple, 1 blackberry, 1 custand, 1 lemon meringue, 1 chocolate creme, and 1 cherry. The other stuff I'm just going to make on the morning of - the stuffing, corn pudding, yams, mashed potatoes, etc.etc.

And then there's the cleaning......

I guess I just want to get everything done so that I can enjoy time with my family. And I will.

OK, I had my moment, now I'm better....Thanks for listening!! :)

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." -- Thomas Edison

momshopsalotta
True Blue Farmgirl

232 Posts

Connie
Hertford NC
USA
232 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2008 :  03:28:07 AM  Show Profile
That's alot of pies to make in one day. Mayby next year you could have one or two of your family bring a pie or two, or even buy them. I've found that if you can make the side dishes the day before and just heat them up on Thanksgiving, the day goes much better and I'm less stressed. By the time my family gets to dessert they are so stuffed they would never know homemade from store bought. Happy Turkey Day!
Go to Top of Page

simplyflowers
True Blue Farmgirl

489 Posts

Jamie
Locust Grove Virginia
USA
489 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2008 :  06:28:51 AM  Show Profile
Yeah.....that's so true. I've just always been known as the pie maker in the family. The good thing is, this year [again] DH is frying the turkeys outside!!! So the oven is totally free for me!

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." -- Thomas Edison
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2008 :  07:30:58 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
*hugs* you will get it all done, but I hope you have a stand mixer because that would make it a bit easier! LOL

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

simplyflowers
True Blue Farmgirl

489 Posts

Jamie
Locust Grove Virginia
USA
489 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2008 :  07:33:36 AM  Show Profile
Yep, sure do! And I love it like a child!! Meringue would not happen without it!!! LOL

Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2008 :  08:09:26 AM  Show Profile
Let's do the math here--you are making one pie for each person, girl!
Have fun baking.
Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
http://woolyinwashington.wordpress.com/
http://farmhouseflair.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

simplyflowers
True Blue Farmgirl

489 Posts

Jamie
Locust Grove Virginia
USA
489 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2008 :  08:16:53 AM  Show Profile
You know the funny thing is....the number of people decreased, but the number of pies stayed the same!!! WE LOVE PIE!!

Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2008 :  08:36:51 AM  Show Profile
I must be doing something wrong! I'm having 10 people and two pies, cookies. We must hate pie.
NANCY JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

simplyflowers
True Blue Farmgirl

489 Posts

Jamie
Locust Grove Virginia
USA
489 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2008 :  08:48:07 AM  Show Profile
Well, I have certain family that like certain pies...
My Dad - He's a custard man! It's my grandma's recipe [his mom] and this pie brings him back to his childhood...
Uncle Jim - Mince meat man.....He brought this last year and I said I'd make it this year...cause he's Uncle Jim...
Billy - [step-son] Chocolate creme pie!! Cause he's the chocoholic!!
All but my husband - PUMPKIN!! I could eat a whole one my self
Mom - love her some good spicy apple pie
Dad -[again] Lemon Meringue w/ sprinkles on top that bleed beautiful color through out the meringue when you bake it. -- Just cause he loves it
Me - I'm a blackberry girl

And finally - Cherry, cause you just can't have Thanksgiving at my house without a lattice top cherry pie! :)

Go to Top of Page

simplyflowers
True Blue Farmgirl

489 Posts

Jamie
Locust Grove Virginia
USA
489 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2008 :  08:49:27 AM  Show Profile
Oh and Zach - [my 2 yr old] We will find out which one he loves this year.....as last year he napped through dinner and dessert in the highchair....

Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2008 :  08:51:40 AM  Show Profile
I'm a newbie, but an old hat at pie making. When I have multiples to make, I do the crusts ahead of time, like an assembly line--mix, chill, roll and then place in my pie plates in the fridge, covered with saran wrap. It's a great time saver, and then you can just remove each one while you're mixing the ingredients so the plate warms a bit, then into the oven it goes, and on to the next one!

I can usually rack up 6 this way, and it's MUCH less stressful. Put on some music in the kitchen, make sure the kids and dh are gone someplace for a while, and vroom!
Go to Top of Page

simplyflowers
True Blue Farmgirl

489 Posts

Jamie
Locust Grove Virginia
USA
489 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2008 :  08:57:46 AM  Show Profile
I could probably do that tonight!!! That would be a time saver! Thanks February!

Edited by - simplyflowers on Nov 25 2008 08:58:06 AM
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2008 :  09:00:16 AM  Show Profile
You're very welcome, Jamie. It's a great way to save time, and you can keep them in there for about 3 days, really. I'm sure longer, but that's all I've ever done, simply because of scheduling. What's cool, is that the first ones are a bit wonky, but by the 5th or 6th, you're a pro at the rolling and crimping!
Go to Top of Page

lacisne88
True Blue Farmgirl

1181 Posts

Chelsey
Lake Stevens Washington
USA
1181 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2008 :  10:48:48 AM  Show Profile
Wow! So many pies! I LOVE pies! It sounds delicious!!!

Chelsey
Farmgirl Sister #283

http://farmgirlpleasures.blogspot.com/

http://aminiatureworld.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

simplyflowers
True Blue Farmgirl

489 Posts

Jamie
Locust Grove Virginia
USA
489 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2008 :  10:53:56 AM  Show Profile
Ohhhhh GRRRR!!! I just found out that I have a meeting to go to in the morning! It's at 0900 and should be over in about an hour, but grrrr. So, I'll start cooking afterward! But you bet your cookies...I'm going to work on those crust tonight! That way I'll just have to fill em up and slap em in the hot box!

Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2008 :  11:02:04 AM  Show Profile
All the pies sound wonderful by the way...
Four our feasts, we will be having Apple, Pumpkin, Sweet Potato and Toffee Pecan (pecan with a little "extra")..only 4 this year, but it's a smaller gathering. I do make a sweet potato for just my husband alone, before we go anywhere. He HAS to have his sweet potato!
Go to Top of Page

simplyflowers
True Blue Farmgirl

489 Posts

Jamie
Locust Grove Virginia
USA
489 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2008 :  11:05:51 AM  Show Profile
You know, throughout all of the post......The stress has drifted away.....now I'm just looking forward. Well, all except cleaning that common use bathroom tomorrow; that I'm NOT excited about.... LOL

Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2008 :  11:30:29 AM  Show Profile
Jamie what time is dessert? I think we can make it there by evening..Wait.. Your evening is my afternoon. That will not work this year.. Man you are a pie baker! I agree make the crusts the day before.. We are 10 here for dinner and I have 2 pumpkin and apple.. and cake. Have a great baking day!

http://www.k-fallsfarmgirl.blogspot.com/

Cheryl #309
Farm girl sister

Enjoy the little things in life....someday you'll look back and realize they were the big things.
Go to Top of Page

simplyflowers
True Blue Farmgirl

489 Posts

Jamie
Locust Grove Virginia
USA
489 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2008 :  1:06:14 PM  Show Profile
OK my lovely Farmgals!! You've inspired me to keep motivated today.....even after a morning meeting with a bunch of Marines with no pies to bake! LOL...

I've 3 pies in the oven...Chocolate Meringue, Lemon Meringue, and Plan Ole'Custard! I've got a few more to go!! But I will get it all done! Since I'm at a stand still b.c the oven is full....I've decided to take a small break, talk to you gals, and have a beer!

I just made myself laugh; as I'm at my dining room table chatting with you.......I look slighty to my left and spot the 2 turkeys thawing. I just thought "What if they still had their heads on and they could talk?.....I wonder what they would say right now?!"

Happy Turkey Day Eve!!!!

Jamie

Go to Top of Page

simplyflowers
True Blue Farmgirl

489 Posts

Jamie
Locust Grove Virginia
USA
489 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2008 :  02:41:11 AM  Show Profile
Thanksgiving day was a success!!! The pie is all gone!!!

Go to Top of Page
  Family Matters: Previous Topic I'm starting to feel the stress.... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page