Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2008 :  9:35:03 PM  Show Profile
I posted some on my blog tonight..him with his critter friends and Mona. He has grown alot!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2008 :  06:53:26 AM  Show Profile
What a little, well not so little any more, cutie. Of course I think Mona is the real cutie... I always enjoy reqading your blog and seeing the photos of your animals. Apple butter sounds great, aI did manage to make some pear butter this year, a friend gave me lots of pears, but I haven't made apple butter in years. Maybe next year.
Having a tiny Thanksgiving at my house, just me and my two kiddos. It will be fun though. Hope you have a lovely holiday with your family.

Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2008 :  07:12:44 AM  Show Profile
Wow, what a chubby little thing already. Mona must be a good Mom.
NANCY JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2008 :  07:15:15 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Wow! Look at him! He sure is getting some great milk from momma!!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2008 :  07:30:25 AM  Show Profile
I can't believe how fast he grew. He's filled out really nice.

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog:
http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/

My basket Website:
http://www.freewebs.com/lisamariesbasketry/index.htm

[size=1]My apron website:
http://lisamariesaprons.bravehost.com
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2008 :  9:51:04 PM  Show Profile
What a fat, beautiful boy Jack is!!! And what a happy mom Mona appears to be.

One of our new cows will be having a calf soon too, but, since my husband never ASKED any questions when the cow arrived 3wks ago, it's going to be a BIG surprise when it arrives! I'm just hoping that the weather is clear and that she has no trouble (I'm also hoping it's a heifer calf!) Honestly-- "I don't know NOTHIN' 'bout birthin' no (calf!) babies!" (to quote Prissy from "Gone with the Wind") Sheep and goats I can do-- but not cows! Any good advice for a first time "calf mom" (meaning ME) Aunt Jenny? (this will be the cows second (?) calf. Anyway, SHE'S done this before!)

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2008 :  11:14:16 PM  Show Profile
More than likely she won't have any problems. I have been so lucky to be right there each of the three times that Mona has calved. It is so neat to be right there. I will sure keep my fingers crossed for a heifer calf for you this year!! I didn't know Mona's due date when I got her either..the guy told me a date he "thought" about 3 months earlier than she actually calved. That was a long 3 months of waiting!! I was really waiting 4 months from the time I got her..and I was a wreck. I havn't had to "assist" much..just help dry off the calf and get buckets (about 5 gallons total) of warm mollasses water for Mona afterwards. She has done great. Since it is you cow's second calf I bet she will do just fine.
I really recomend you check out the keeping a family cow website and forum...awesome info there...from gals with family cows..not dairies!! www.keepingafamilycow.com there is a book by Joann Grohman by that name too and it is the best family cow book I have found.
I am so excited for you that you get to have a new calf too! Will you get to keep it? I wish I could..but Jack will be leaving this week to go across town to his new home.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

wild daisy
True Blue Farmgirl

503 Posts

Madelynne
Billings Montana
USA
503 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2008 :  09:26:55 AM  Show Profile
Jack is so cute. Tracy I hope that you will post pictures of your little one when it comes. I can't have pet or animals in my rental here in the city.

Madelynne
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2008 :  09:52:13 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for for the tips Aunt Jenny, and the well wishes from both you and Madelynne. It's very much appriciated!

The cows are actually my HUSBAND'S, so I can't say how things will go. I can only keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best. Honestly, he's not doing things the way I think he should (like putting up a shelter). I am hoping that she will calve during dry weather and that I'll be there when her time comes.

As for keeping the calf-- if it's a heifer calf, we most likely will. If it's a BULL calf, well, I'm afraid it probably won't have the exciting life your little Jack is going to lead Aunt Jenny. I have NO IDEA of the mother's breeding, let alone the FATHER'S. (my husband never concerns himself with those sorts of details and I never got a chance to talk to the people he bought the cows from) Let's just say that a bull calf of QUESTIONABLE parentage is seldom in demand as a breeder. I think you can see where I'm going with this.... I'll keep you posted ladies! Thanks ~~~ hugs ~~~ Tracy

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic New Jack the calf pictures Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page