kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2008 :  06:47:00 AM  Show Profile
Yesterday I went shopping and went to our local huge used book store, Mckays. They have a small section on sustainable living and agriculture. I found so many good books.

The Country Way by Lloyd E. Eighme about people moving from city to country. Wrtten in '76 but looks good. .95

The Compassionate Carnivore by Catherine Friend on how to keep animals happy, save old Mcdonald's farm, reduce your hoofprint, and still eat meat. It's a new book. Looks really good, too. $12.00

Fear Not To Sow Because of the Birds by Paul Keene. Essays on country living & natural farming from Walnut Acres. $4.00

Gifts from the Garden Stephanie Donaldson. Lots of great ideas for gifts to make from your own yard and garden. $2.00

Better Homes and Gardens Sewing Book from 1961. It had newspaper articles about sewing still in it and smells so good. Maybe it will motivate me to sew. $2.50

This Way of Life, a Countryside Living Book. It's reflections of 800 country women who express a special philosophy that comes from down-to-earth living. Sounds a lot like everyone here. I started reading it last night. In the sleeve it says it consists of letters and verses from farm women who've contributed to FARM JOURNAL. So I looked up Farm Journal on the internet and found a new magazine that is just starting called Rural American Woman. ( It had another name but just recently changed to this). It's all about women in ag. Sounds interesting. The book was $4.00.The website is:www.agriwoman.com.

The best one was The Good Life by the Nearings. Finally found it! It's both of their books in one. $7.50

And at another book store found a cook book. Cooking with Shelburne Farms. Food and stories from Vermont. It has a picture of Jersey cows on the front. Great recipes and pictures with lots of stories.

So I have plenty of reading for these really cold days coming up!

Kris

Edited by - kristin sherrill on Nov 21 2008 09:35:33 AM

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2008 :  08:28:42 AM  Show Profile
Wow, you hit the jackpot! It is so much fun shopping at used bookstores, the atmosphere is much more relaxed, and you never know what you may find....

Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2008 :  08:51:18 AM  Show Profile
You did hit the jackpot. I loved the Nearings. Read their books about 100 years ago. LOL. I didn't get all my dream but a major part so I am happy. I am going to look for The Way of Life book. Sounds great. MB

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2008 :  10:33:27 AM  Show Profile
I love books and book stores. And love 2nd hand bookstores even better, lol. Wish they were in my area more, but I have to travel to the big city to go to one and that takes about an hour by bus. So don't go there often, once a year maybe :(..
BUT I look on Bookmooch and mooched many wonderful books there YAY!

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

My personal blog:
http://just-me-a-dutch-girl.blogspot.com/

Again new creations added, too cute lol. Come and check it out!!
http://princess-of-pink-creations.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

La Patite Ferme
True Blue Farmgirl

623 Posts

Jenn
CA
USA
623 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2008 :  1:19:40 PM  Show Profile
What a haul Kristin! Good for you.

I just love used book stores and the used book sales at our library. It's a great place to get fabulous deals. My all time best deal was the Victory Garden Companion Guide for $3 normally $105. I was happy.

I never walk away disappointed
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2008 :  3:11:46 PM  Show Profile
Mckays is the best book store for used books. Sometimes I find all kinds of good books and other days nothing. So yesterday I got lucky. I wish I could find the In. of Country Living somewhere.

Kris
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2008 :  06:16:42 AM  Show Profile
Kristen, sounds like you hit pay dirt!!!!My sister works at a wonderful used book store, The Book Stop, in Poulsbo, WA. I love to go there when we visit WA. Your dollars go so much farther; it's resue/recycle; and you often find things you would never find in a new book store. My next favorite is our friend of the library used book store. Really reasonable prices and often brand new!
Keep reading,
Sharon

Farmgirl Sister #74

Life is messy. Wear your apron!
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2008 :  10:51:38 AM  Show Profile
I LOOOVE the used book stores!! I can spend all day in one! My own house is so full of books it's hard to look ANYWHERE around here and not see a stack of them. I especially love books on raising/showing/breeding livestock (the older the better-- those "Old timers" really knew what they were doing), sustainable farming, natural health care, gardening, quilting, knitting/crochet, wool spinning etc... Any and ALL of the "lost arts" of farm life are sure to be found around here in abundance. Maybe someday I will actually be able to say that I HAVE read them all! ~~ Tracy

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page
  Reading Room: Previous Topic Used Bookstore Shopping Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page