Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Where in the world can I find a . . .
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Where in the world can I find a . . . Next Topic  

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2008 :  8:45:57 PM  Show Profile
I am amazed sometimes at how difficult it is to find something that I thought was commonplace and would be soooo easy to find. Here's my latest "in search of".

I have my grandmother's old kitchen table. She had a big oak table in the dining room, but in the kitchen on the farm she had a table with the metal painted top (I don't know what they're called exactly). The top pulls up a bit and the side leaves slide in under it. I use that as my kitchen island. I saw a magazine picture of a similar table/island where the owner had put a towel rack on the two ends and had vintage dish towels there (for display).

Soooo . . . I began looking last week for the basic ole kitchen towel rack -- the shiny ones with a skinny bar that is either round or multi-sided (I'm not sure how many). I've looked everywhere around here and can't find one. The only thing I can find is the type with a fatter "rod" -- they look more modern (even the ones that are supposed to be vintage -- and they're expensive -- anywhere from $18-$45!! What happened to the basic, shiny silver/chrome old-fashioned dish towel bar?

If anyone knows of an online source, please share :)

Some people search for happiness; others create it.

Please email me for all your BeautiControl needs!

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2008 :  05:29:59 AM  Show Profile
I've seen them here at Grover's Plumbing Supply. You probably don't have a Grover's there, though. But you might check with plumbing supply places. They have far more of a selection in that stuff than Home Depot or a dept store.

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog:
http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/

My basket Website:
http://www.freewebs.com/lisamariesbasketry/index.htm

[size=1]My apron website:
http://lisamariesaprons.bravehost.com
Go to Top of Page

Suzan
True Blue Farmgirl

659 Posts

suzanne
duncannon pa
USA
659 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2008 :  05:35:21 AM  Show Profile
Check Lehman's or Vermont Country Store online.
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2008 :  08:21:16 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
And maybe even ebay.

Farmgirl Sister #50

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?"
'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

peachy
True Blue Farmgirl

593 Posts

Melissa
Fennville MI
USA
593 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2008 :  8:46:03 PM  Show Profile  Send peachy a Yahoo! Message
Have you tried any second hand stores? I find most of my best treasures there!!!

Melissa
Farmgirl Sister #360

Life isn't about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain!
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2008 :  07:22:33 AM  Show Profile
There was one at my thrift store yesterday maybe 30 inches long.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2008 :  10:21:21 AM  Show Profile
So far I've checked the plumbing stores, second-hand stores, hardware stores, ebay, craigslist, and Lehmans. No luck yet. I'll keep looking and check out the other store mentioned in this thread. Thanks!!

Go to Top of Page

La Patite Ferme
True Blue Farmgirl

623 Posts

Jenn
CA
USA
623 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2008 :  3:49:58 PM  Show Profile
I would suggest looking in a small town type hardware store. You know the kind that has all the gizmos and gadgets noone else carries. Not Home Depot or Lowe's or anyting like that, but the dusty little hutch type stores.
Go to Top of Page

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2008 :  07:28:01 AM  Show Profile
I've been to every small-town hardward store that I know of within 2 hours drive. I'm amazed at how hard these things are to find!

I've had various family members in other towns looking, too, and one of my uncles owns an antique mall in another state, and he has taken this up as a personal quest. :) He's been looking for over a month and hasn't found one -- and I need 3!!!

I refuse to give in, though. Someday I'll find what I'm looking for -- maybe next summer when auction season rolls around again. I told my dh I'm just about ready to start climbing fences, tromping through cow pastures to abandoned farmhouses, and looking there. Actually, I wouldn't do that without permission, but every time I drive by an old, falling-down farmhouse, I wonder if the kitchen towel racks are inside!

Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Where in the world can I find a . . . Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page