Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2008 :  03:22:05 AM  Show Profile
Made the best soup the other night

It has a ton of whole veggies

Didn't have to add anything but a little italian spice

The recipe makes about 3 gallons --enough to freeze or give away

Start with 2 cartons of low sodium chicken broth, 1 low sodium bottle of V-8 4 cans tomato paste

Add to this: 4 leeks washed with just the tops cut out, 4 peppers quartered your choice, 4 smallish/medium zucchini whole with tops cut off, bunch of kale, collars or other tasty winter green chopped, 1 bag broccoli floretts, 1 medium whole onion ( some or all of this can be removed before processing as it may cause gas for some) 2 bulbs garlic to be roasted first at 400 for about 45 minutes or until soft enough be squished out of their skins add to the soup

add a dash of oregano, basil, tyme and rosemary to taste

When zucchini is soft, ladel some liquid with the whole veggies and puree everything

I used my pressure canner as it was big enough to hold everything and after the puree step, sealed the lid back on for a few minutes then cut the heat and let the pot sit overnight

You can add pasta as needed when the soup is complete

The recipe also calls for beans like lentles. If you use these, they stay in the pot on the bottom and are not pureed

To puree, I just used my blender, but had to be careful not to overfill as the liquid was very hot and had a tendency to splash out of the top hole. It helped to put the setting on low first , then turn the dial to high/puree

good luck!

ClaireSky
True Blue Farmgirl

1792 Posts

Julie
Arcadia WI
USA
1792 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2008 :  03:50:53 AM  Show Profile  Send ClaireSky an AOL message  Send ClaireSky a Yahoo! Message
Hello Anna, I would love to make this soup. But, I need exact amounts or it doesn't turn out for me. How big are the cartons of chicken broth? the V-8? the tomato paste? Thanks

Julie
Farmgirl Sister #399
West-Central WI Farmgirls

"Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient." --Aristotle
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2008 :  09:28:28 AM  Show Profile
The chicken broth cartons are the paper mid sized I think, tomato paste was the little skinny metal cans and the bottle of v-8 was the plastic mid size too Sorry I don't have the oz sizing. This soup gives for a lot of error, so you can't go wrong. You can also add a few stalks of celery too

and I forgot to include to add a mid size package of carrot dollars. These are the ones that are crinkle cut. Or you can just use 5-6 regualr carrots, just peeled and the tops cut off.

Enjoy!
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic anti cancer soup Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page