Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2008 :  05:22:35 AM  Show Profile
My back entry is turning into a jungle, I haven't the heart to throw a plant out, and most I have had since they were babies.You should have seen me go to pieces when they cut a big tree down on our street for no good reason. Hope I'm not the only one out there that can't throw a living plant out.

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2008 :  05:29:44 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Nancy-Jo-

You aren't the only one! I once had a cleaning client (When I was cleaning houses in Moscow) who had some sort of seasonal plant. Perhaps it was a poinsettia or maybe an Easter Lilly. Anyway it was definitely past it's prime, but with a little love and expectation that it would live past the season, it could survive.

He wanted me to take it outside and leave it so he could reuse the pot and soil later in the season. I told him I just really couldn't do that to the poor plant. He laughed and the next week he proudly showed me his repotted plant and how it was thriving again!

My neighbor gave me one of those baskets of flowers that you hang outside during the summer. Petunias? Begonias? I can't remember. Anyway. When it started getting cold I brought it in. It hangs over my chair to my sewing desk. It drops pink petals all the time, and now has stopped blooming until the sun comes back. It needs some dried leaves maintenance, but I didn't have the heart to let it die in the cold.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2008 :  05:34:39 AM  Show Profile
Nancy, I'm the same way. Just this weekend, I was giving all my plants a shower(they take up every window in the house) and a baby fell off one of my spider plants. I have 3 spider plants, all with babies and what do I do? Stick it in water because I just couldn't throw it away. I can't stand to throw away lettuce, carrot or any other seedlings when I thin them out either. I end up transplanting them in another spot or in pots to give away. Somehow, it seems murderous or ungrateful for such gifts of nature to purposely kill them.

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog:
http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/

My basket Website:
http://www.freewebs.com/lisamariesbasketry/index.htm

[size=1]My apron website:
http://lisamariesaprons.bravehost.com
Go to Top of Page

Nance in France
True Blue Farmgirl

1438 Posts

Nancy
St. Laurent de la Salanque
France
1438 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2008 :  07:42:22 AM  Show Profile
"Too many plants" is possible grammatically (ha), and definitely emotionally and morally incorrect and impossible! Horticulturally yours, Nance
Go to Top of Page

kpaints
True Blue Farmgirl

1564 Posts

karen
cheney wa
1564 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2008 :  09:48:36 AM  Show Profile  Send kpaints an AOL message
I too can not get rid of plants. As a matter of fact I was on the back porch at midnight last night pruning my citronella geranium. It has some dead leaves and I pruned it way down and will put it upstairs for the winter, however, I kept all the cutting so I could have a whole lot of citronella in my secret garden this next summer.
It is funny that this subject came up because this morn I was looking at one corner of my dining room that is full of plants and thinking one could call this my 'jungle' and that all the plants throughout my house will make it difficult to put out a lot of Christmas decorations. However, my Thanksgiving cactus is blooming like crazy just in time! I probably have at least 35 plants in my house not counting the starts. I have had lots more but have toned it down lately. And I kinda' miss them, they clean the air and I like that.

Find your joy and live it. http://cheneybaglady.blogspot.com/http://www.kpaints.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2008 :  10:13:29 AM  Show Profile
I'm with you ladies, I can't let my plants go until they are well and truly dead. I have a wonderful "Jungle" corner going right now too. I think I need to go buy more plants for the winter too =) living plants help you get through the dark days of winter and I'm convinced that they are good for your spirits.

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Mud Hen Queen
MJ's Heirloom Maven's Librarian

Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2008 :  10:15:31 AM  Show Profile
Same here! I try to give away plants that I no longer "attached" to. I take most of my house plants to the screened front porch for the summer and I do my best to give them away during the summer. I am not very successful so they come back in along with everything I have accumulated and cuttings that I am overwintering in the house. So much for having a greenhouse that is too expensive to heat.

I am the same way in the garden. I'll pick produce and work hard at giving it away. If not I'll feed it to the chickens or compost. But get rid of the overproducing plant. No way.
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic TO MANY PLANTS?? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page