kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2008 :  3:23:57 PM  Show Profile
It seems to me lately like the young kids that "work" these days just don't care. It's like they think it's not their money or their merchandice, so who cares? Has anyone else noticed this? I mean, who's kids are these anyway?

I was at T.S. today to return some things. I had used my 10% off coupon so the total was $99 and change. I returned everything except the Hobby Farm magazine. There were a few people in front of me and I let a guy ahead of me. He's the only cashier. There are several behind me. So I get up there and the scanner won't work right and he's getting frustrated and flustered. So he finally gets it all done and he says he owes me $105. I said no, it should be like $94 and he says not to worry about it. Yeah, well I do worry about it but didn't want to cause a scene so I left.

This kind of thing happens more and more and it's usually kids. I always make them do it over but today he was in a mess so I didn't. He'd already done it four times. He should have known he was wrong in the first place.

So I'm just going to find out T.S. address and mail them the difference with a little note explaining what happened. I don't want the boy to get in trouble, but do you think he should be made aware that it is not his money and the business suffers because of his ignorance?

What do ya'll think? And has anyone else noticed this also?

Kris

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2008 :  4:03:34 PM  Show Profile
I have a hard time blaming the kids. In most cases management isn't properly training them and leaving the kids alone to deal with situations they clearly can't handle. As a teacher I know that these kids are hard pressed for time as it is and have a great deal of respect for those who can juggle school and work. I've been in their shoes before and it's not easy.

I understand your concern about getting more money than you were due but I wouldn't blame the kid. Likely he was embarrassd and thought fixing it would draw more attention to himself.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2008 :  4:12:21 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi Kris!

I asked my husband about this because he worked in retail until just recently and dealt with this a lot.

When a customer returns something it is common practice to give the full amount back. The store has already sent off the coupon to the manufacturer and been reimbursed for it as far as their book keeping is concerned. If they gave you only the coupon discount The $90 instead of the full amount of $100, they would essentially be cheating the manufacturer, and they would have a net gain of the $10.

Most customer service agents are trained to go in the best interest of the customer as well. In the life of the company, they would loose more from a disgruntled customer than by giving away an extra $10 here and there. Statistics show a customer that has had a dispute settled in their favor is significantly more likely to choose that shop over another. Therefore their chance of gaining more profit from you in the long run is statistically higher.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2008 :  4:22:05 PM  Show Profile
I am not really blaming him. It probably sounds like it, though. It just concerns me how much this happens especially with young people. I don't know, maybe it's the way I was raised and things are so different now. Or maybe I'm just getting "old" in my thinking. Sorry.

Kris

Ok, I was still replying to Julie when Alee was. I just saw her reply. ( I'm a very slow typer)

That makes sense, Alee, I do spend a lot of money there. It would have been that amount without the 10% discount, I guess. But I still feel like I have stolen $10.00. I'm sure they will get that $10.00 back from me several times over, but it still doesn't make me feel all that good about it. But thanks for the information. You have a very smart husband there.

Edited by - kristin sherrill on Nov 16 2008 4:31:56 PM
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2008 :  4:50:20 PM  Show Profile
Speaking as a mother of a young man in this type of situation.
Part of it is lack of training. Part of it is the computer tallies everything for them. And part of it is they can't do simple math without the aid of a calculator or computer. This happened to me at target last night when I paid cash for something.
The little boy waiting on me looked so panicked. My son assured him the change was correct, and said "Dude, I have the same issue at my job."

I think we used to have a thread on here about counting change back. Most kids can't or don't do that in this day and age.

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland
Go to Top of Page

Past Blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Brenda
Orchard Prairie WA
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2008 :  5:06:05 PM  Show Profile
Years ago I was shopping at Fred Meyer and was buying a pair of boots. The computer kept messing up and the poor girl could not get it to ring up. She finally, in frustration, said "Oh just take them!" I said I felt bad to do that and asked if perhaps her supervisor or someone with more computer knowledge could help her. And she again insisted I just take the boots. I did, but always felt guilty . . . like I stole the boots. My guess is she was afraid she would be in trouble for not being able to figure the problem out, so she just wanted me and my situation to leave quickly. I was young and stupid. I think now I would simply say, "No thanks. Maybe I will try back again tomorrow and see if the problem is fixed." Hindsight is always so smart . . .

Hugs & blessings,

Brenda

Past Blessings . . . Celebrating Life as it used to be . . . when people loved God, loved their families and loved their country.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2008 :  5:08:10 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I also think the "bad" examples are more clearly remembered that the hard working kids. I don't go out to fast food a lot or shop a lot, but almost every where I go I see a variation of ages. Some teenagers are bad about slacking and they haven't learned customer service, but I have seen some kids diligently counting back change, cleaning stores, carrying groceries and such. I have also had supervisors that were much older than me that would drive me crazy because they had little to no work ethic and I wondered who thought it was a good idea to promote them!

I think it is just like anything else in society. If you made every age into a pie chart, you would have about 3 equal slices. One for diligent and hard working, one for intermediate, and one for people who really need to learn some life lessons.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2008 :  5:19:05 PM  Show Profile
I can see where you are coming from but I remember a conversation I had with a friend over 30 years ago. she said--"what's with kids today--when they come in for a job they only want to know how much they'll make and when do they get a vacation" actually in the same vein you wrote. It happens but most will usually figure it out and be good workers. I agree with Julie--training properly. MB

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2008 :  5:42:11 PM  Show Profile
I almost forgot my own daughter works at Dominoes. I'll have to ask her about this. See what she does. Good grief, I am a bit forgetful, huh?

But really, maybe we need to have more classes in schools about work ethics. Don't just throw the poor kids out there on these computers that don't work most of the time and expect them to hold it all together. Especially when they are the only one at the register and there is a line of very impatient people waiting. I did try to make him take it slowly and take deep breathes and hold his tongue right so the scanner would work right.

There are so many good kids who do more than their share of the work, I know. You're right, Alee, that one really sticks out.

Mary Beth, I can just see me in a few years saying that. That's too funny! And I did just turn 50. Oh my goodness, what a mess!

Kris
Go to Top of Page

wild daisy
True Blue Farmgirl

503 Posts

Madelynne
Billings Montana
USA
503 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2008 :  6:39:06 PM  Show Profile
My husband works in the food business. He is always telling me if one person has a complaint about the service or product then they complain to something like 10 people compared to the complements of great services from just one. Yes this might not always be true. I agree with Alee, they want to keep your business.

Madelynne
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2008 :  6:49:33 PM  Show Profile
I feel like I have foot-IN-mouth disease. It was a Tractor Supply coupon! The more I think about this, the more I feel like I should not have said a thing about this.

I guess that's why someone said to think first before you post something. He did what he was supposed to do. And I'm sure all you ladies have raised great kids, too!

I'm still going to ask my daughter what she'd do in a situation like this. I hope I'm not too surprised at her answer!

Kris
Go to Top of Page

vermont v
True Blue Farmgirl

194 Posts

Victoria
Chester Vermont
USA
194 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2008 :  7:40:30 PM  Show Profile

My husband and I have a saying about this and when we go in a place and no one looks over 16 we laugh and say no adult supervision!
One time the cashier called her manager and the manager looked even younger that she did; about 15!I like to give the kids credit for working; they are still learning. My pet peeve is when I walk into a store and the attendent is talking on the cell phone or snobby! I think sometime they forget that the old fat uncool customer might have money to spend.
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2008 :  03:00:52 AM  Show Profile
I have noticed this too.

It's like we are beneath them even though they work for us.

My experience in particular was at a food store. I wanted paper and you wouldn't have believed the glare I got the whole time. 'Cuse me?? But don't they ask anyway??? these days i juat say plastic is fine, then grab a handful of the peper bags as I walk out the door.

but the attitude is everywhere

When's the last time we were greeted with a genuine smile. I alwyas make eye contact and offer a cheesy grin. I actually made a girl start to laugh last week.
Go to Top of Page

paradiseplantation
True Blue Farmgirl

1277 Posts

julie
social springs community Louisiana
USA
1277 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2008 :  06:14:29 AM  Show Profile
I'm not sure about y'all, but I'll gladly stand patiently with a polite young kid who's making multiple screw ups than with a kid with an attitude and a smooth transaction. Lately, I seem to be a magnet for the younger working generation that won't speak to you, won't look at you and obviously has a chip on their shoulder while doing their job. One girl told me to just wait a minute, while she discussed her date with a girl at the next register! Give me the sweet kids who want to work and do nothing but screw up every time. I'll take 'em. The rest can have the rude ones and smooth transactions!

from the hearts of paradise...
Go to Top of Page

palmettogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

571 Posts

sue
camden south carolina
USA
571 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2008 :  06:18:06 AM  Show Profile
i think that the kids rely on the computer too much. it seems that computers are set up with the programs that are used 95% of the time. if there is a return, or something a little different, the computer can't figure out what you are trying to do and just screws it up. i do think that some kids are somewhat lathargic in thinking, though, but maybe that's because they get frustrated, too working with the computers. one time the computer went down at mcdonalds.....now the hamburgers were there.....i wanted one....i could pay cash.....but nobody could figure out how to give me one and tell the down computer that i took and paid for one!! so i left! tell me that's good for business???
Go to Top of Page

abbysshadow
True Blue Farmgirl

224 Posts

Sherry
Dayton Nevada
USA
224 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2008 :  07:13:40 AM  Show Profile
I am a cashier (among other things) at Dollar Tree...I get flustered counting back cash at times, even tho I can do it perfectly fine in other situations..lol...I'm not a shy kid and it still happens to me...most people are very understanding if you are polite and maybe make a little joke about it...thank goodness...lol The cell phone thing is a pet peeve of mine...and those ones that stay plugged into your ear are even worse...I guess I am just getting old...sigh..

...I cannot do all the good that the world needs, but the world needs all the good that I can do...
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2008 :  08:40:00 AM  Show Profile
I have worked as a clerk, as a receptionist in my past life experiences,( as well as that of an employer) It is frustrating to start a new job and learn the cash register let alone how to be a courteous help. Sometimes employers forget that it takes awhile for a system to be learned,
I have no problem carrying on a conversation with new employees when I see they are fumbling.. We have no idea what is going on intheir world. I am patient with them and remind them that I too started as a new employee and their work will get easier as they continue to do it. I do feel Customer Service needs to be #1 when employers hire. Many times emplyees are not taught that.I held regular meetings to discuss this issue.. the old saying "the customer is alway right...does imply that as an employer you will see that the customer is happy..word of mouth is the best advertizer of any business. Give the new guy a break..but be polite and it will came back to you..

http://www.k-fallsfarmgirl.blogspot.com/

Cheryl #309
Farm girl sister

Enjoy the little things in life....someday you'll look back and realize they were the big things.

Edited by - K-Falls Farmgirl on Nov 18 2008 12:31:52 PM
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2008 :  09:23:27 AM  Show Profile
That's the thing!

I'd love to be patient and talk everyone up

I hate the pressure of alyays having to hurry up and get out of line

It's nice when people actually do carry on pleasant conversation

Go to Top of Page

bohemiangel
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Bridget
Ligonier pa
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2008 :  10:04:55 AM  Show Profile  Send bohemiangel an AOL message  Click to see bohemiangel's MSN Messenger address  Send bohemiangel a Yahoo! Message
Well I agree with both it's the kids attitude and the management. I have this issue at restaurants where the "kids" that are servers STINK AT IT, to be more in your face SUCK. They were never trained nor watched over to improve. It's like lil kids that are never taught by their parents (the teacher in me is coming out here) I also think if management doesn't care or actually manage it is their fault as well. I wish "kids" had a more aggressive attitude in being quality and having high standards. I also tend to blame the school system because we are not allowed to correct/discipline/etc children. So anything goes i.e. a crappy attitude, no work ethic, if they don't want to, they don't have to...etc. I worry honestly about my students and when they go out in the world. I give them tough love and always reiterate that I am preparing them for the future. I tell them how I want them to be the best and that they all are smart and if I didn't think that they were capable of high standards and were dumb then I wouldn't push them. Tough love is what people need (within reason). I know I was a kid that went under the radar. Quiet, good, easy going, but never challenged in high school. College whipped me into shape:) I am passing that knowledge onto my students and kids that I influence.

**~~Farmgirl Sister #60~~**
"... to thine ownself be true."
http://ligonierfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
http://liggygirl.blogspot.com/
http://liggybitsandpieces.blogspot.com/
http://ligonierliving.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

bohemiangel
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Bridget
Ligonier pa
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2008 :  10:13:49 AM  Show Profile  Send bohemiangel an AOL message  Click to see bohemiangel's MSN Messenger address  Send bohemiangel a Yahoo! Message
Also I know what you all mean, like the computer thing. I know I was NEVER taught, yes NEVER how to make change in school. I had to learn from my fam and MONOPOLY:):):) thank god for that game. :) We are too worried about other things in schools and not the life coping skills (making change etc) What if the system is down? What do you do? I mean I get nervous making change when I forget to put in the total at work. I doubt myself still. I know I do it correctly and double check with a calculator but it goes back to where/how I learned. It's the same with manners. YES I am 26 and sound 50 hehe. I think we need to offer manners in schools, they are usually not taught at home. (this is many not all) I know my friend/bf from india told me a story about how they learned what sorry meant in school and he grasped it but as a kid went to everyone in his family and kicked them THEN said sorry. It stopped when his fathers hand landed on his rear end.....and was told and learned the lesson hehe. I mean I am a BIG advocate of please and thank you and a smile goes a long way. I was on the phone with verizon for 7 hours in two days and they commented how polite and patient I was and I said yes I just want it fixed but the patience is running thin and we joked around. If you work with the public you need a class/briefing on how to deal with the public. I do know in my diff jobs I have had management that belittled us if we didn't grasp something or needed help. It can be an issue of fearing humiliation and not wanting to ask and go through that. It is sad but true. My boss now is super patient with me and knows if he isn't it will only fluster me more and nothing will get done. He also shares what is going on and what to do, I have learned an immense amount of knowledge about retail/business with him. If I make a mistake we talk about it and deal with it.

**~~Farmgirl Sister #60~~**
"... to thine ownself be true."
http://ligonierfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
http://liggygirl.blogspot.com/
http://liggybitsandpieces.blogspot.com/
http://ligonierliving.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

musketeermomma
Farmgirl at Heart

9 Posts

Z.
Coeur d' alene Idaho
USA
9 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2008 :  5:24:23 PM  Show Profile
Hi everyone, These are all great posts!
I have a couple years experience working with teenagers, not in retail but at a veterinary clinic that boarded animals. I worked in the kennels taking care of the animals half the time. The turnover rate was pretty high because the work was hard and at times kinda gross. I worked with probably 20 different young men and women. 95% percent of these kids did not want to do the work. They would cut corners or try to figure out a way to get someone else to do the work for them. Half the time they didn't care if all the animals got to go outside or not or even if they all had water and food.. as long as they didn't have to put themselves out too much.

I don't blame the kids for this I just think a lot of kids aren't being taught good work ethics. It really is sad to see because even if you don't have a great education, hard work can make up for that in a lot of cases. employers love hard workers and people with good work ethics because there aren't as many people like that anymore. And really it's not just the teenagers, many adults don't know what customer service is either. It really is sad and makes me appreciate it when I come across people who work hard at their jobs and truly care.

As for the problem with not being able to count back change.. I have to point towards our failing educational system (that is a whole new post!) but when you're in a situation that is stressful it's difficult not to get flustered too (been there, done that!)

In the end, it's not what you do for your children, but what you've taught them to do for themselves
-Ann Landers
Go to Top of Page

cheneygal
True Blue Farmgirl

503 Posts

Suzie
Cheney Wa.
USA
503 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2008 :  9:39:32 PM  Show Profile
I read your post with great interest, as I work for a co. that is owned by TSC.....early this summer we hired 2 college students, part time, they are irresponsible, badly trained by our manager, and really are not interested in the business.....I've been with this co. for 7 years and daily, am embarrassed at the way they treat the customers, their work ethics and on and on. TSC is a great co. and I'm very proud to work for them, but your right "these kids"!!!

live, laugh, love
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Is It Just Me??? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page