Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2008 :  2:54:00 PM  Show Profile
Has anyone here ever had their home broken into by thieves? I have and it isn't pleasant. In fact, it's downright scary. The reason I ask is that my neighbor came over this morning and she was crying saying that her home had been broken into. In fact, I saw the thief (not up close and personal) but the car he was driving. I didn't see him take anything out of the house, but the brazen so-and-so came back twice. He stole everything of value that he could find. Good thing they had the gun safe locked up. They had just gotten a new flat screen TV and, of course, that was gone too. She had gotten out some of her good jewelry to take with her to Mexico and that was missing also. It was all around strange.

Since they have two daughters that are constantly moving in and out, I thought that was what was taking place. Dummy me!

Let me know your experiences.

Betty in Pasco

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2008 :  4:13:59 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Oh no Betty! Are you able to give a description of the car to the police?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

wild daisy
True Blue Farmgirl

503 Posts

Madelynne
Billings Montana
USA
503 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2008 :  6:48:52 PM  Show Profile
I have had the misfortune of being robed. This happened about 15 yrs ago down in the Salt Lake area. We were renting a condo at the time. They only broke into the storage area where we parked the car. They stole all of my husband tools and anything of value stored in there. It was about $2,000.00 worth of stuff. The funny part was I heard them drop the tool box late in the night and got up to look outside but forgot to put on my glasses. I could only make out a truck leaving. I then went to bed and later the next morning noticed the door on the storage area by my car was not shut. You feel violated. We never got anything back. We did learn from this and now have renters insurance when we rent.

Madelynne
Go to Top of Page

momshopsalotta
True Blue Farmgirl

232 Posts

Connie
Hertford NC
USA
232 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2008 :  7:00:20 PM  Show Profile
We had our home broken into about seven years ago. We believe they were young people (or very stupid people) because they took bottles of inexpensive wine and even a twelve pack of beer. They took the majority of jewlery in my jewlery box leaving the real pearls and taking some chunky gold appearing necklaces not worth much at all. I feel blessed that they did not hurt my dog but will forever mourn the loss of my mothers wedding and engagment rings. This was three months after her death. Not something I ever want to experience again.
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2008 :  7:27:44 PM  Show Profile
I've never had my house broken into, but my car was stolen from right in front of my house at dinner time. I was only inside for an hour, and when I came back out the car was gone. I didn't see or hear a thing.

My husband used to live in a bad neighborhood, and I can tell you for a fact that crackheads will steal anything. They smashed his car window once to get 2 old cassettes and a pair of drugstore sunglasses. And they left a pair of pliers in the driver's seat, so he was actually ahead money in the end.

I'm just glad I've never been robbed by someone with a weapon. My dad had kids point a gun at him, and when it turned out that he only had $4 in his pocket, they beat him within an inch of his life. Fortunately, he knocked the gun away early in the fight and they never got it back into play. I don't like to go out of the house these days. Every time somebody stops me to ask the time or bum change, I expect that my time has come.
Go to Top of Page

LindaEllen
True Blue Farmgirl

275 Posts

Linda
Missouri
USA
275 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2008 :  8:14:34 PM  Show Profile
I'm sorry to hear about all this. So far so good here but I think its b/c my house is a mess and it looks already broken into. At least thats what I tell company that drops in. Its my plan.

But you know what troubles me is when older women and my Mom to will be in the store looking for food and not watching their handbags in their carts. My Mom says she ties the bag to the cart, Oh Mom they can just take the cart and off they go with your purse while your looking at a bag of beans or something.

With job lay offs and things getting tight. It might turn the best into taking. We all need to mindful, and take care of whats ours.

If we had better neighborhood watches,not being alone, and having a dog to let you know aware plus maybe frighting off the would be theif, maybe.
Also stricter laws that favor the victim and not the creeps. But those on drugs have no thought process other then getting their fix. So they would be the most harmful I would think.

Now I'm going to turn this around a bit, what if things did get super bad, would you steal if you did everything that you could to get food for your family and the answers where always NO ? Could a Mom that needed milk for her kids be as bad as the drugy in her quest? I'm just wondering and praying to that that never has to happen.

Linda
Farmgirl Sister #343

Locust Trail Homestead
http://www.homesteadblogger.com/walkabout/
Go to Top of Page

Lainey
True Blue Farmgirl

2401 Posts

Elaine
Waco Kentucky
USA
2401 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2008 :  09:57:11 AM  Show Profile
Our house was broken into this past August. They stole some items of value, especially sentimental like our wedding rings and all my jewelry (some had belonged to my mother and grandmothers). They took several of my husband's cameras that he'd had for some years. But the worst part of it was the loss of the feeling of security I had before. We felt totally invaded, someone was in our house, looking at and touching our stuff without permission. One thing that we were thankful for is that they didn't hurt our dog. I had trouble sleeping for awhile afterwards and sometimes still I have problems with it.

Farmgirl Sister #25

http://countrygirldreams.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2008 :  03:36:38 AM  Show Profile
It's for these reasons in addition to natural disasters I wish we could afford a gun safe. Wish we could lock the photos up too.

We don't really have much of value, but like some have already said, the crack-heads will steal anything. Hubby has had stuff stolen by his own no good kin. We keep padlocks on one of the barns and store stuff out of sight. I also cover the computer table with a cloth when we are gone.

And luckily I don't own many good pieces of jewlery....yet. mom still has everything.

Our dog is loose in the house when we are gone. She does bark at vehicles she doesn't recognize, and at times has even barked and growled at hubby when he put on a ski mask. I'd feel really badly if anything ever happend to the dog.

I remember when my grandmother's house was broken into. She also had a safe. It was small, but heavy enough so not even 2 people could pick it up very easily.

It's always scary and makes you feel violated.

And no, there are better means of providing for family w/o having to take from others.
Go to Top of Page

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2008 :  06:46:52 AM  Show Profile
Betty, you're not a dummy at all. I remember a television show a few years back in which each week they had professional security people and former criminals show how crimes are committed. I especially remember them breaking into homes in broad daylight and people just watching, doing nothing. For example, the thief would stand and fiddle with the lock on the front door, actually picking it.

Later, when the bystanders were asked why they didn't do anything, they said things like they thought the person was just having trouble with their key or something (I can't remember everything, just the stuff that for some reason stuck in my brain). The witnesses figured nobody would be so brazen as to break in in broad daylight. The security guys and former criminals said that is often the fact that thieves count on.

You just reacted like most other people would. I'm so sorry for your neighbor, but please don't beat yourself up over this.

Some people search for happiness; others create it.

Please email me for all your BeautiControl needs!
Go to Top of Page

thomasina
Farmgirl at Heart

1 Posts

1 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2008 :  7:49:18 PM  Show Profile
unfortunately my husband and I were robbed last week while we were sleeping. They took money and nothing else. They were in the room next to our bedroom upstairs creeping around. Our house is really big so you can't really hear . Now we have an alarm system and feel fortunate we were not hurt.
Go to Top of Page

homemom
True Blue Farmgirl

1593 Posts

Ruth
Warwick RI
USA
1593 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2008 :  10:55:49 AM  Show Profile
Thomasina~How scary!!!!

I have an alarm system. My husband had it installed when he was traveling alot for work. This year he won a flat screen tv from his job and twice right after we got it the alarm was set off. It is motion and heat activated so it wasn't the curtains moving that did it but that was all the police kept saying it was. I think they gave up trying because of the alarm. I am so glad we have it but it's still scary. We also pulled out all the bushes near the windows. That way there isn't anywhere for them to hide.

Ruth

Living the farm life in my heart.
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/Ruth
http://farmgirlinmyheart.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Break In Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page