Prairie Princess
True Blue Farmgirl

1075 Posts

Jodi
Washington
USA
1075 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2008 :  01:16:56 AM  Show Profile
For Christmas I'd like to get my boyfriend a nice rifle, and do some woodburning on the stock to make it unique for him. Have any of you done woodburning like this before? I know it's not uncommon to carve them, but I'm wondering if I can do the burning right through the finish on the wood, or if I'd have to sand it down, and then re-finish it after I was done burning the pattern....??? Also, the idea is in the formation stages, so if you have pattern ideas or anything, throw 'em on out there for me, lol.

Thanks!

~Jodi

"Women are like teabags...you never know how strong they are until they get into hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2008 :  05:47:18 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Jodi- I would think that you would need to sand off the finish and then do the wood burning, then varnish the stock again. Let me ask my dad. He does wood burning. Have you ever done wood burning before? It can be tricky. I suggest getting a piece of similar wood (IE Don't practice on pine if you are going to be burning hickory) and practice your pattern. You have to have even pressure to create a consistent look. Like pressure and quick movements give a light brown look. Like slightly toasted toast. Hard pressure and slower movements give a black line.

Also be aware of safely with a wood burner. They can start fires if left too long on the wood, and of course they need to be safely watched as they head up and cool down from use.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com

Edited by - Alee on Nov 16 2008 05:47:38 AM
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2008 :  07:21:29 AM  Show Profile
It really depends on the Varnish. Some varnish will melt at high temps which isn't a problem where you are carving but can make the wood around the area look very messy and globby. I would suggest sanding first. Also be aware that MANY of the varnishes they use are tinted and the color will change when you remove the varnish.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

Bonne
True Blue Farmgirl

3003 Posts

Bonne
Littleton CO
USA
3003 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2008 :  07:45:36 AM  Show Profile
Oh, my, you're a braver gal than I. I'd opt for a custom made plate to be attached, as I'd die if I goofed up the burning. LOL That's just me though~keep us posted as I'd love to see what you wind up doing. ;)

http://bonne1313.blogspot.com/ BLOG
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Princess
True Blue Farmgirl

1075 Posts

Jodi
Washington
USA
1075 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2008 :  7:05:01 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for all the input here! I hadn't thought of either the finish melting and getting globby, or the fact that if I sand it off, it could end up being a totally different color. VERY good points for me to take into consideration, lol! I have done a bit of woodburning before, but I intend to brush up a bit before I try ruining a gun stock. I'm not sure if it's brave or ridiculous, but either way, I guess it's the thought that counts...ROFL

~Jodi

"Women are like teabags...you never know how strong they are until they get into hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2008 :  05:19:08 AM  Show Profile
I think it's a great idea.

Unless you have a crazy husband (like my uncle), I think most men (like my husband, my brothers, my father, my step father) would be very HAPPY for their wives to get them a gun, AND do such a nice thoughtful thing! Cause it IS the thought that counts.

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2008 :  5:43:26 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi Jodi!

I finally got a hold of my dad to ask about the wood burning. He said that while he thinks the ideas is really nice, he strongly _strongly_ advises against it. He said that there is a special resin between the barrel and the wood stock of the gun that stripping could damage or completely remove. This would ruin the gun.

He also said that the finish on a gun is very specialized and once you strip that down, it would be almost impossible to get the same degree of protection back. He said it is a special polymer finish and if you do wood burn through it, it would bubble, burn and crack.

What he suggests as an alternate is to get the gun, but also buy a nice gun case or sling that is or has leather on it and instead of burning the stock of the gun, burn the leather of the case/sling.

My dad has done both wood and leather burning with the same tool, and the leather burning is really awesome.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Woodburning Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page