homemakerkate
True Blue Farmgirl

143 Posts

Kate
Ewen Michigan
USA
143 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2008 :  4:58:48 PM  Show Profile
Opening day for deer rifle season is like a holiday where I live. It has been busy! Loads of hunters have come up and all the men and a few gals too out to their camps to hunt. My hubby shot his big buck tonight an 8 point! Me? I am a hunters widow, home alone with the kids. But we are busy too, with cooking and cleaning and playing indoor games. I have been sewing like a maniac lately too. So this is my update for me. Snow tonight, what we had (6 inches or so) was washed away in last weeks rain. OK gals, check in with you later. Kate

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2008 :  07:18:52 AM  Show Profile
Opening day of the general elk hunt used to be like a holiday here, too. The high school actually closed for that day, because half the high school students wouldn't be there anyway. They stopped closing for opening day a couple years ago, but I don't think it has stopped the students from taking that day off anyway!

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog:
http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/

My basket Website:
http://www.freewebs.com/lisamariesbasketry/index.htm

[size=1]My apron website:
http://lisamariesaprons.bravehost.com
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2008 :  07:26:50 AM  Show Profile
Our opening day was last saturday. We always get the Monday after opening day off from school. It is a school holiday actually called "DEER DAY!"

Nice job on the 8 point! My husband doesn't hunt but I wish someone would share some deer sausage with me! I love it!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

vermont v
True Blue Farmgirl

194 Posts

Victoria
Chester Vermont
USA
194 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2008 :  7:46:04 PM  Show Profile

Hunting season is great!! Its the time I get to go thrifting with my best friend who is 85! Also, I get so much more done at home. Unfortunately Vermont is no longer great deer hunting country and I like to eat venison.We used to live in Montana and its pretty hard not to get a deer there.
Go to Top of Page

paradiseplantation
True Blue Farmgirl

1277 Posts

julie
social springs community Louisiana
USA
1277 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2008 :  06:19:01 AM  Show Profile
Kate, if you lived a bit closer, we could be hunting widows together! Opening Day down here was October 25 -- at least both my kids came home from San Antonio to hunt. And, as usual, since we're the ones with the property, we had a house full. So far, though, only one doe has been taken. DH is still waiting for the 'big one'!

from the hearts of paradise...
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2008 :  11:25:17 AM  Show Profile
I've been a hunting widow for the last week. Mine went elk hunting and is coming home today with his prize. I have missed him but I have also enjoyed having the house to myself. I was able to finally get some much needed cleaning done and lots of knitting and sewing. Enjoy your time apart!

Audrey

Toto, we're not in Kansas any more!
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Opening Day Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page