Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic DH first elk Next Topic  

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2008 :  1:13:54 PM  Show Profile
Well he's done gone and killed himself an elk this year. Looks like I'll be trying some of MJ's recipe's from her book. Anybody else have any recommendations? I haven't cooked elk in probably 20 years when my Dad last went hunting.

Audrey

Toto, we're not in Kansas any more!

Edited by - acairnsmom on Nov 14 2008 1:45:55 PM

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2008 :  1:23:41 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
I love elk, I think it's better than beef. Hope he saved the ivory teeth.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
MJ's Heirloom Mavens Badgebadger
MJ's Heirloom Mavens Bookclub Coordinator
"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2008 :  1:45:29 PM  Show Profile
OK, I'll bite (pun intended). Why would he save the teeth?

Audrey

Go to Top of Page

westfork woman
True Blue Farmgirl

554 Posts

Kennie Lyn
Emmett Idaho
USA
554 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2008 :  4:19:16 PM  Show Profile
Elk have ivories. You have to make a hole thru the root end soon after you get them out of the elk's jaw. Then they can be usee on key chains, or made into beautiful jewelry. Hope he got them out.

Greetings from the morning side of the hill.
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2008 :  5:41:21 PM  Show Profile
Yes, I just talked to DH and he knew all about this and got them out. This is why he's the hunter and I'm the gatherer. I sure didn't know elk had ivory, thought that was stricktly a whale thing! LOL

Audrey

Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2008 :  6:33:20 PM  Show Profile
Congratulations to your Hubby.. Elk meat is better in my opinion than Deer meat.. I never cared for deer meat. I have not eaten it in years since Husband #1 is out of my life..Seriously Thankful for more than just for that!
I understand the killing of these animals for food but I just could never do it, I know its silly cause I do eat pork, beef, chicken, turkeys fish. I just can't get wild game over my lips...

http://www.k-fallsfarmgirl.blogspot.com/

Cheryl #309
Farm girl sister

Enjoy the little things in life....someday you'll look back and realize they were the big things.
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2008 :  8:05:12 PM  Show Profile
I hear you Cheryl. That's why I stayed home. I've been wrestling with the fact that a beautiful creature is gone and I'm going to be eating it this winter. I finally had tell myself that cows and chickens are also beautiful creatures and I don't mind eating them! So I'm feeling a bit better about it. That and I truely think God provided this animal for us to eat. With the scary things going on in our food chain at least I know this animal never stepped hoof in China or was treated badly at some feedlot.

Audrey

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2008 :  8:21:14 PM  Show Profile
Yum...I love elk!! My favorite way to cook it is as swiss steak or chicken fried steak with white peppered country gravy, but I use it in any recipe I would use for beef..it is leaner though and the burger holds together better for patties and meatballs with a little ground beef or pork added. Lucky you!!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

ranchmama
True Blue Farmgirl

360 Posts

Elise
Rosebud MT
USA
360 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2008 :  04:50:23 AM  Show Profile
I had it once with beef fat mixed in. You do this at the butchers, when the elk is processed. When you grind the meat up, just add some suet in and it takes some of the game-y taste out and cooks up better.

Every Child Deserves Our Love &
A Bear of Their Own
http://ATeddyForKeeps.org

http://ranchmama.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

herbquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

891 Posts

Kristine
Bonney Lake Wa
USA
891 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2008 :  08:44:12 AM  Show Profile
Lucky you!!! Congrates!

Blessings,
Kristine ~ Mother of Many, MRET & Wellness Coach

http://herbalmommasda.blogspot.com/

Farmgirl Sister #97
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2008 :  10:09:40 PM  Show Profile
Mmmmm....chicken fried anything would taste good. I'll have to remember that and I love Swiss steaks. Good ideas. Can't wait until he gets home with it. My grocery bill should be way down this winter!

Audrey

Go to Top of Page

lisa229
True Blue Farmgirl

85 Posts

Lisa
Dorset(Lenox Twp.) OH
USA
85 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2008 :  09:40:30 AM  Show Profile
Congrats to you hubby!!! Mine just shot a buck on Friday. A nice size too - will provide healthy meat for the winter. I tend to lose weight on it - since it's leaner. He tried elk at an auction and said it was excellent.
Congrats again!

Lisa
http://lisas22968.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

peachy
True Blue Farmgirl

593 Posts

Melissa
Fennville MI
USA
593 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2008 :  2:59:12 PM  Show Profile  Send peachy a Yahoo! Message
Congrats to your hubby! I haven't had elk since my son moved out and is providing for himself now! I'll have to see what kind of recipes I have! Glad he got the ivory, I have some in my freezer right now! LOL I also have a beautiful ring that my mom and dad had made for me from one of my dads elk! I'm so jealous!!! I'm still waiting for my big hunters to come home with a deer! My dad had me in a blind when I was 3 but I just have never been able to do it myself! I had a hard time sending my cow off a few weeks ago!
Melissa
Farmgirl Sister #360

Life isn't about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain!
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2008 :  4:52:54 PM  Show Profile
Lisa, congrats to your hubby too. I hope I'll lose weight eating the elk. THAT would be an excellant side benefit!

Melissa, I'm a city girl who wants to move to the country and raise animals but I get so attached. I keep wondering if I'd be able to "send them off", I think like you I'd have a hard time of it. (((hugs))).

Audrey

Go to Top of Page

vermont v
True Blue Farmgirl

194 Posts

Victoria
Chester Vermont
USA
194 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2008 :  8:03:44 PM  Show Profile

Congratulations; getting an elk is almost as good as winning the lottery! Its pretty hard to mess up elk meat any way you cook it.
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic DH first elk Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page