Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2008 :  11:51:27 AM  Show Profile
My 12 year old son was so excited for me to read this book that his English teacher is reading with his class. He got it for me yesterday while I was at the library with cubscouts anyhow..and I finished it this morning after milking (was up last night..couldn't put it down!! ) It was really a thought provoking book!! I am glad I read it. I wish I knew a good way to describe it. It is about a boy turning 12 and the "community" he lives in and has grown up in..very apart from anyplace and with no memories, love, or color. It about how he is set apart and in the end makes a difference. I would never have thought to read this one..but sure recomend it. Makes you really feel thankful for all we have and that things arn't so controlled by "sameness" and order.
The Author's last name is Lowry.
Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com

Edited by - Aunt Jenny on Nov 14 2008 11:51:57 AM

lacisne88
True Blue Farmgirl

1181 Posts

Chelsey
Lake Stevens Washington
USA
1181 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2008 :  12:33:24 PM  Show Profile
My brother had to read this while we were in school. My mom ended up reading it as well and they both really liked it and have said the same things as you have about it provoking thoughts and such. I haven't read it, but I want to. Recently I have heard many good things about this book which is funny because it has been around for quite a few years.

Chelsey
Farmgirl Sister #283

http://farmgirlpleasures.blogspot.com/

http://aminiatureworld.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2008 :  1:58:13 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS BOOK! OH my gosh! I still think about it a lot, and have re-read it several ones. Did you know it has a sequel? The sequel totally crushed how I always thought the book ended... but I really want to read it anyhow! LOL

Aunt Jenny- If you like that book, you might also like "The Chosen Ones" By Julie Richer. It is another younger reader type book but it really makes you think too.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2008 :  2:27:44 PM  Show Profile
The Giver is one of my favorites. The author is Lois Lowry and she also wrote Gathering Blue and Messenger, which form a trilogy with The Giver. All of them are excellents reads.

Karin

Farmgirl Sister
# 18 :)

www.perfectlittlemiracle.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2008 :  4:49:14 PM  Show Profile
I have read the Giver and Gathering Blue. I have never read the messanger. I will need to add it to my list!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2008 :  4:55:59 PM  Show Profile
Karin - I just looked for the Messenger on amazon. It says it doesn't come out til January 2009. Have you read it yet or am I looking at the wrong thing?

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2008 :  4:56:59 PM  Show Profile
Oh!!!! I get it! It is still in Hardcover! DUH!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

Ga Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2355 Posts

Karen
Meansville Ga.
USA
2355 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2008 :  8:09:34 PM  Show Profile
I am going to send my oldest to library to find it for me I would love to read it. Thanks for the info.

Create in me a pure heart,O God and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Psalms 51:10 http://farmgirlingastyle.blogspot.com/
www.KKJD1.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2008 :  8:24:03 PM  Show Profile
I will look for the others...my son said there were "companion" books (I think that is how his teacher worded it) and I will look for The Chosen Ones too..thanks gals.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2008 :  10:42:10 PM  Show Profile
This one is on our reading list for this year. I actually picked up a signed copy in a used bookstore. Maybe I'll read it before my daughter does!
Sharon

Farmgirl Sister #74

Life is messy. Wear your apron!
Go to Top of Page

Woodswoman
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Jennifer
Altamont NY
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2008 :  5:56:08 PM  Show Profile
I am a middle school science teacher. Our students read this for english class. I read it one year, and am so glad I did. It is a very thought-provoking book, and I love talking to my students about it when they read it.

Jennifer
Farmgirl Sister #104

"Nature brings to every time and season some beauties of its own".
-Charles Dickens
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2008 :  9:23:01 PM  Show Profile
That is exactly how I found out about it. My 7th grade son's English class is reading it. I love when my kids can recomend a good book..and they love it when I love the books they do. It IS very thought provoking!!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

JessieMae
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Jessie
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2008 :  11:36:22 AM  Show Profile
"The Giver" was one of the books I read for a literature for children course in college. I personally didn't care for it and was sort of even surprised to hear that it has become required reading in a lot of classes. If I remember correctly, it started quite a heated discussion between some of my very conservative / very liberal classmates. (The professor enjoyed getting his students into fights; we also read "Weetzie Bat," "We All Fall Down," and "Fallen Angels.")
Go to Top of Page
  Reading Room: Previous Topic The Giver Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page