Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 How do you farm/garden with pain?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic How do you farm/garden with pain? Next Topic  

finngirl
Farmgirl in Training

30 Posts

Karen
Bryant Pond Maine
USA
30 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2005 :  09:21:55 AM  Show Profile
How do you farm/garden when you have daily pain? I have had RA for 17 years. We have 2 dogs, 2 cats and 23 chickens.I have to feed and water them and collect eggs every day.Hubby was supposed to plumb water out there this summer but it didn't happen.So I carry gallons of water out to the hen house everyday.I love to get out in the garden and plant, weed, harvest etc.. but there are times when I can't even get my socks on without help. Is there anyone with similar problems and how do you solve them? Mom says "get rid of the animals". I don't feel that is a good solution.My pets bring me joy where somedays there is none.

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2005 :  12:57:19 PM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
FinnGirl Karen, I so feel your pain!! I know exactly of what you speak. I have fibromyalgia, which is very similar in symptoms to RA, and I fight the same battles with myself.My solution is planning. I try to do a little outside every day, so when spring comes there isn't so much work to do all at once.If I do too much I suffer for days and then what is the point? I think getting to know how much you can do without hurting,figuring out the best way to do it for your problem and accomplishing that each day, and then let the rest go is a key. For the water problem, buy a lot of hoses and string them together to get the water to the hen house.Make raised beds and keep them mulched and/ or use plastic to cut down on weeding and bending.I have given up on the huge garden vegie I envisioned, and went to dwarf fruit trees, berries, and a small raised vegie garden that I can handle.I would LOVE flower beds surrounding my fences, but have settled for smaller ones right around the house that i can see and keep up.It is hard to give up some dreams I KNOW, but when the dream comes at a painful physical price, it has to happen.Don't give them up, just scale them back!!

You might want to check a former topic on this section about fibromyalgia and see what the other gals had to say. There seem to be a lot of farm girls in the same boat!!

Edited by - Fabulous Farm Femmes on Nov 29 2005 12:58:21 PM
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2005 :  3:19:20 PM  Show Profile
Having fibromyalgia like Diane I have learned to work smart, and not overdue or I am in bed for days. A good garden cart that you can load up and move easily is probably your best tool. I also use a wagon to move groceries from the car, etc. The less you overwork your affected areas (back, hands, knees) the farther you can go. I also use alot of raised beds and large pots for herbs and veggies so I am not constantly bending in half to work. I don't have alot of animals so hauling water is limited to outlying flower beds, but the cart filled with water containers (I recycle milk jugs) saves many "lugging" trips and is easier on my hands.I also have cut down on planting so many annuals and have a lot of perrenials instead that need less upkeep. Any annuals I do plant need to be self sufficient and thrive on their own )portulaca makes a very colorful border all season. Cleome (spider flower) is a good plant for background and dahlias and zinnias are usually pretty hardy if watered every once in awhile. Hope that helps Karen, I know how frustrating it can be when the mind is willing but the body isn't.

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2005 :  4:16:27 PM  Show Profile
I have FM too (30 years) and the only thing that helps is lots and lots of codeine. I have learned, however, that if I am immobile, it gets worse. I force my self to move around. With RA you have to do the same or you'll freeze up and it will be worse. I'm starting a FM pain study at U of Utah which uses physical therapy, counselling and different non pharmaceutical treatments. I'm optimstic. I'll be glad to share what I learn if anybody wants. Sometimes I just want to hit my head against the wall, I get so frustrated. Sometimes nothing helps. Then again, there are good days, too. So keep going, my friend. Don't give up. Think of ways to do things that are creative. Use extenders to reach for things. Map out your errands that involve the least amount of running around. There are things you can do. I also have some spiritual remedies, for those who are interested. Good luck! You're in good company.

Happy Wishes!
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2005 :  06:41:24 AM  Show Profile
I guess I can count myself as fortunate; I don't have bad pain daily, but I sometimes have bad pain. I have arthritis and degeneration in my spine, and a herniated disk. Sometimes it's so bad I can hardly get through; and I burst into tears a few times, too. But getting rid of my animals is as unthinkable as getting rid of my socks; both hurt to deal with, but I need them!

I have an awesome chiropractor, and take advantage of different meds when the need is great. I feel for you though; I know how hard it can be. But I totally understand about the need for the animals; they bring me great joy, and I can't imagine life without them. Heck, it'd give me too much time to think about my pain!
Go to Top of Page

Mari-dahlia
True Blue Farmgirl

269 Posts

Marianne
Hoosick Falls New York
USA
269 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2005 :  06:53:24 AM  Show Profile
I could not get the weeding done with my knees if I did not have my rubbermaid stool. It is just the right height and it doesn't matter if it gets left out in the rain or snow etc.
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic How do you farm/garden with pain? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page