K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2008 :  6:51:04 PM  Show Profile
We don't know what happened to one of the neighboring deer * a(doe) that live in the hills around us, but some of them use our pond at night to drink from. There is a beaten trail where we count 10-12 head of deer, does, & bucks a couple fawn, Today we found a doe laying on the edge of the pond dead. We had to drag her out and haul her to the burial grond.. I love these anilmas. They are so pretty and I understand the laws of survival.. But it was sad to find her. I noticed late this afternoon that a few (5 does & a buck) were on the hillside behind us. Its definately mating season and the bucks were busy claiming mates.. so perhaps a new baby will replace this loss.

http://www.k-fallsfarmgirl.blogspot.com/

Cheryl #309
Farm girl sister

Enjoy the little things in life....someday you'll look back and realize they were the big things.

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2008 :  6:58:04 PM  Show Profile
Oh that is too sad. We had one just get hit the other day and it was laying in our drainage ditch.

I have to tell you that we have 1 buck that has climed our property as his. He is barley a spike, but he has his own little harem and proud of it.

Last year mama brought her twins through the yard and they couldn't have been a week old! I agree with you Cheryl they are great to watch. I would miss them.

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2008 :  7:09:02 PM  Show Profile
That's so sad, Cheryl. It's good of you to bury her. Hopefully there will be many more next spring. They are beautiful to watch.

My poor daughter hit a deer on her way out to my place while I was gone on vacation. In my car, too. We had swapped cars. I have lived here 4 years and never hit a deer and she comes out in my car and hits one. She stopped and there was a car behind her that stopped, too. The deer took off back into the woods, so hopefully it's ok. It's deer season here.

Every morning when I let my dog out he jumps the fence and goes out back to chase the deer. He loves it. But now there are hunters out there, so Ihad to put up a barrier so he won't get shot. I know what you mean, though, you get used to seeing them and counting them and one day that happens.

Kris
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2008 :  7:59:41 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Aw! That is sad. I wonder what happened.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2008 :  8:09:34 PM  Show Profile
No sign of trauma as a gunshot or arrow? No animal bite or sign of attack? I have no idea...

Cheryl #309
Farm girl sister

Enjoy the little things in life....someday you'll look back and realize they were the big things.
Go to Top of Page

dkelewae
True Blue Farmgirl

1310 Posts

Diana
Saint Peters MO
USA
1310 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2008 :  05:45:16 AM  Show Profile
Awwww how sad. They're such beautiful and graceful creatures. Bless you for giving her the dignity of a burial.

Diana
Farmgirl Sister #272
St. Peters MO
Country Girl trapped in the city!

http://farmgirldreams.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2008 :  06:14:03 AM  Show Profile
That IS sad. I hate seeing all the dead deer by the highway in winter here. There are farm fields on each side and in about February it is really bad.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2008 :  06:28:13 AM  Show Profile
We have deer come to our pond too. The doe have their babies in our woods and they only eat my roses--so I don't plant roses anymore. I like them too and wonder what happened to the doe. Maybe it was her time and she couldn't think of a better place than your pond. MB

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

therealshari
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Shari
Beryl UT
USA
235 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2008 :  09:06:29 AM  Show Profile  Send therealshari a Yahoo! Message
Yes, Jenny. I'm still somewhat bothered by the Utah law that says you must leave a carcass that has been hit while on the road. You're allowed to drag it off the road, but then must let nature take it's course.

I understand the whole ecology thing, but somehow, it seems wasteful. At least when I lived in Oregon the State Police would have the carcass hauled away and the meat was used to feed both prisoners and also found it's way to various institutions.

Shari Thomas

From the "middle of nowhere" Beryl, Utah. Our farm is nearly complete with 3 horses, 6 ewes, a cow and heifer calf, 19 chickens, 5 dogs and four country gals. I blog about it at http://sharithomas.com
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2008 :  2:06:29 PM  Show Profile
We have a similar law in California. It's illegal to pick up animal carcasses off the road for any reason. Especially with the intent to EAT them. But then again, hunting licenses are expensive here, you have to buy a separate sticker for EVERY single animal you intend to hunt (as well as for fishing-- a sticker for EACH KIND OF FISH!!) so, my guess is that law has something to do with $$$.

Could your poor deer have been poisoned? So sad. They are such beautiful creatures. I remember when I was young, we were on a camping/hunting trip one fall and this gorgeous doe would come into our camp, (her twin fawns hung back in the trees watching), and I would feed her little powdered sugar doughnuts every morning. We were there for at least three or four days, and there she showed up, same time every morning, like clock work. That's an experience I'll never forget. A "Wild" deer that would come up and eat right out of your hand. How wonderful is that?

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

Forrester Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

703 Posts

Ann
Belmont MI
USA
703 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2008 :  2:12:13 PM  Show Profile
There was a deer found here in MI (Kent County) with wasting disease. It was a "farm deer", and so far there has been no cases found since, but all need to be checked if brought to the DNR. Have you called any authorities regarding the doe? It would be a shame if a case of wasting disease was going thru the area.

Ann
Forrester Farm
www.forresterfarm.com
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2008 :  2:14:47 PM  Show Profile
actually I am sorry I gave the wrong impression, We were unable to actually bury her. She was too heavy to move, but we did drag her off our property and into the open field, We covered her a bit with some bushes but Nature has a way of taking care of these things and it is an ecology thing.. I do not think she was poisoned.. Could have just been a weak doe..Who knows.

Cheryl #309
Farm girl sister

Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2008 :  2:30:31 PM  Show Profile
Or maybe she was "passed her prime" if she was such a large heavy doe. Hopefully that was the case. She was just an old gal looking for a nice place to say "good-bye world!"

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

EnchantedWoodsGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

959 Posts

Kathy
New Jersey
USA
959 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2008 :  9:48:27 PM  Show Profile
I have a colony of mostly white deer and I found one dead a few years ago in my valley, no signs of trauma - it might cheer you up to see some of my white friends, go take a peek
http://www.enchantedwoodmusings.blogspot.com I love my deer too and am fiercely protective of them - I am always nervous around hunting season and make sure I tell the deer to stick close to home, I swear they understand.

Kathy of the Enchanted Wood
Farmgirl Sister #59
http://enchantedwoodmusings.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2008 :  05:35:19 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Kathy- What a beautiful picture! The Spirit Deer look even more graceful!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Forrester Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

703 Posts

Ann
Belmont MI
USA
703 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2008 :  07:01:55 AM  Show Profile
Kathy - your cottage is adorable. Love the path to the other cottage as well. Were the beginning photos your home? What a blessing to have the white deer right out your back door. I've never seen any except in photos.

Ann
Forrester Farm
www.forresterfarm.com
www.forresterfarm.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2008 :  07:08:33 AM  Show Profile
That is such a sad ending to a wonderful life. My heart going out to you and those four legged ones. I too have a herd who live with me - started with an orphaned doe not more then 6 months old - mother I think was killed by my neighbor. Over this year she has now brought a small herd and have called this home. You can read more about the herd on my blog. I know we are not to get attached to wide creators but you just can not help it. I wish you many new babies to watch next year and just know you are a wonderful caretaker and friend of those sweet ones.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Sad ending Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page