Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Adopted Grandpa Horse Next Topic  

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2008 :  6:04:54 PM  Show Profile
Sorry I don't have a picture to put with this yet (I'll edit) but I just had to share. We adopted a senior gelding to keep our 5 mo. old gelding company. Big bonus...our 8 yr. old daughter has fallen head over heels in love with the big galoot. Second bonus...the colt is much happier now too.

We brought him home this morning. Pure joy. So, I'm trying to learn quick all the ins and outs of senior horse care (tips are welcome). We do have Sr. grain and offer grass hay. We'll start with a "well baby" check up ASAP, and probably float his teeth (smooth them down so they can process food better) if the vet recommends (I expect she will).

Happy horsey dance!

We make a difference. http://huckleberrywine.blogspot.com

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2008 :  7:01:51 PM  Show Profile
Good for you. I love horses. I said if I ever get another one it will have to be at least 20 years old and VERY slow.

Have fun with him. I have no advice for you, only love him a lot.

Kris
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2008 :  7:59:55 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Oh that is wonderful, Michelle! How old is he?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

artbysue
True Blue Farmgirl

218 Posts

Sue
Kidron Ohio
USA
218 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2008 :  8:20:59 PM  Show Profile
Oh what fun! An oldie but goodie!! I have had some seniors worth their weight in gold. Enjoy!

equine and animal artist, Amish art, www.suesteiner.com www.amish-art.com
www.amulti-coloredlife.blogspot.com
http://www.cafepress.com/suesteiner
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2008 :  8:25:41 PM  Show Profile
Michelle, Oh how cool! I can't wait to see pictures!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2008 :  07:19:36 AM  Show Profile
Good question...how old is he? 20 something. But when he is being ridden, he does so well and looks so good you would think he was in his teens. I will have a better estimate on his age once the vet comes for his exam. Best of all, he is so gentle with my daughter. Yesterday she went for her first ride solo..all over the place. Glowing with happiness. He IS worth his weight in gold. How blessed we are! I'll post a picture to my blog. What a wonderful turn of events!

Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2008 :  07:34:37 AM  Show Profile
How fun! My one horse is 25 and I still ride him and he's going strong and is healthy. Glad you're having a vet exam for him. Sometimes older horses get forgotten for yearly exams, especially when they are up for adoption from a private party. Glad you can give this distinguished gentleman a home and a loving one. You've probably started a life-long love affair with horses for your girl--a passion I have as well. I love my parents for letting me have horses growing up--I learned responsibility and how to work to pay for their keep. What a nice thing you have done for the horse and your daughter.
Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
http://woolyinwashington.wordpress.com/
http://farmhouseflair.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2008 :  08:40:31 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Michelle- A well cared for senior horse can live to be 30! So he still has some great years ahead! I am so glad your daughter loves him so much. I bet he is thrilled to have such a light burden to carry around!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2008 :  11:42:35 AM  Show Profile
I finally posted a picture of our newest family member to my blog. I am so tickled that DD is enjoying him. I really didn't think it was probable to find such a great horse for adoption. This has really openned my eyes.

How quickly the adult brain forgets what it was like to be 8! She is smitten. I am so thankful for the turn of events that lead us to this horse. DD's life is going to blossom in lots of great ways; all the good kids can learn when they are responsible for the care of something so big and so dependant upon them. Awesome.

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2008 :  12:11:51 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Michelle- I just read your blog. Teach DD to point her two fingers together and poke the side of Quiqley's mouth when he gets too close. It will get him to move away and learn respect for her personal bubble. It simulates other horses nipping or shouldering away young horses when they are rude to their elders.

Having Quigley put his mouth on you, especially as young as he is can really lead to some bad manners later. He sure looks sweet though. He is growing so much!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

wild daisy
True Blue Farmgirl

503 Posts

Madelynne
Billings Montana
USA
503 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2008 :  1:36:10 PM  Show Profile
The new horse does look younger then 25 yrs of age. Enjoyed the pictures of Quigley too.

Madelynne
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2008 :  10:47:47 AM  Show Profile
Oh good for YOU Michelle!! It's so sad to look on the rescue sites and see all these older horses with no one to take them in. If I could, I'd take more, but I already HAVE 4 horses-- three of them are in their late teens --which is hard to believe since we got my Morgan when he was just a BABY!!! I forget how OLD he actually is now! The other two "Oldsters" we got last year. Traded a load of hay for each of them. One had a bad attitude problem (she's half Hanovarian, and I think the other half is Thoroughbred), but we've taken care of that. She thinks she's my best buddy now.

The other mare (a Paso Fino) is just such a misfit that she doesn't seem to "fit" anywhere. The other horses don't really like her (except my Morgan, but he likes EVERYONE!). She pretty much keeps to herself, otherwise the other two mares pick on her and steal her food. She and I are a good match, since we are both a little odd! I have papers on her, so I know some of her history. I also know that she's been through AT LEAST two different rescues. The scars on her body tell a sad story, but the sweetness of her personality tells a whole different one! I just LOVE HER!!! I'm pretty sure this will be her LAST home.

Again I say, BLESS you for taking in that old man! Oh, and we had a horse (a Quarter/Thoroughbred) that lived to be 35! So your new friend may have MANY good years still left in him-- especially with the proper care. The most IMPORTANT ingredient is just one --- L-O-V-E -- and LOTS of it! Sounds like he's off to a good start! ~~Hugs~~ Tracy

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

TabithaLenox
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Kim
Gettysburg PA
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2008 :  2:25:41 PM  Show Profile
Congrats Michelle! We have a 20-something molly mule...she's a funny old girl! Loved the pic of your daughter riding Scout.

Kim
Farmgirl #184
All that we see or seem, Is but a dream within a dream....
http://www.tabithalenox.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2008 :  08:25:47 AM  Show Profile
You all make me feel warm and fuzzy all over. Thanks. :) Quigley has stopped his mouthing behavior on people...whew! But I will remember your tip, Alee. It does help to think like a horse and act a bit like one when the behavior calls for it. Those messages get through best. As I said, Scout is a blessing for ALL of us. Quigley is much happier and behaves himself more like he ought to. DD is learning to watch animal behavior and interpret what it means...training a mini horse whisperer...so she can stay safe and be good with them. It is so rewarding. And now she LOVES the farm. Life is so good.

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2008 :  08:49:04 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi Michelle!

I really recommend any books or material by Dr. Robert Miller. Especially "Understanding the Ancient Secrets of the Horse's Mind". It is very instructive and I think your DD would learn a lot from it. Here is a link to his book on Amazon. It's not too spendy.

http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Ancient-Secrets-Horses-Mind/dp/0929346653

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2008 :  08:50:37 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
PS I am really glad he stopped his mouthing behavior. Colts his age can be sweet or they can get ornery too! LOL Is he gelded yet?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2008 :  12:21:26 PM  Show Profile
Yes, Q. was gelded a bit earlier than I had counted on. He had a hernia and they took care of both issues at the same time. So, he won't get the hormones that will help his hind muscles develop as well, which makes it a bit tougher to overcome his too-long tendon issue, but it is getting better with time and PT. Luckily we have a great bluff in his pasture and he loves to run up and down it....stairmaster. He is both sweet and ornery...boys. :) But with teaching we can keep the balance tipped more towards sweet...I hope. :)

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2008 :  1:28:52 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Michelle- that eases my mind. I have dealt with stud colts his age. They are young enough to be sweet, but starting to get old enough that they are starting to feel the first flush of hormones! A stud colt yearling tried to force me into a wall when I was leading him out to pasture once. They don't seem to big until they decide they are going to try to push you around! LOL Luckily I knew how to make him realize that was a serious miscalculation on his part, but I have to admit, it surprised me how pushy he was that day.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2008 :  08:34:01 AM  Show Profile
Alee, how are you doing on your quest to get into the horse business? I know this is among your goals, and with your bucket full of experience waiting to spill out and do good...how is it progressing?

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2008 :  10:42:44 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Michelle- I am literally just waiting on enough land to be able to bring my horse down from Idaho! how frustrating is that?!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2008 :  6:28:30 PM  Show Profile
Well, how close are you to finding enough land? My waiting and working to make my land-enough and my own horse again dream is only just now blooming. And some folks work at it even longer. I just know you'll get there as much as it would be great if you had it right now. :) Besides, Nora is still so tiny...I just bet when the time is right it will all click into place for you.

Scout had his vet-check up today and had his teeth floated. Interesting process. Though he is very healthy, like a lot of senior horses, his teeth will be his eventual downfall. Nippers fit, but grinders are missing in a jack-o-lantern pattern, so no grinding action. Luckily he does well with his senior feed and beet pulp. Pretty amazing he gets grass hay down somehow. So, there wasn't a whole lot the vet could do but smooth out the teeth he does have to make him more comfortable so he doesn't cut up his cheeks/tongue. And it isn't like he's been neglected by those kind folks who gave him to us either (they were great)....he's just an elderly gentleman. Too bad they don't have horse dentures. Now there would be a smile for you! :D

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2008 :  7:18:55 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi Michelle-
Well, renting a house with pasture is about $1300 a month up here, and renting a stable space is about $250-400 a month. Right now we are paying $730 a month for house rent so... it really is all about just getting financially stable and and finding money to pay on past debt and still be able to put away at least $250 a month.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2008 :  7:35:38 PM  Show Profile
*whistle* yipes. There's another thing to be thankful for...not so spendy here. But I know you'll get to a stable place. Wish it were sooner for you :) You live around a movie star? What ever happened to land of the big sky, space enough for everyone...went out with John Wayne movies at the theater Saturdays? I hope you find your dreams soon. It will happen. :)

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2008 :  7:47:36 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
LOL- Well there is space enough for everyone- just as long as you can pay for it. Right now we are really focused on getting into a house and land of our own.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Adopted Grandpa Horse Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page