julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2005 :  2:23:11 PM  Show Profile
Does anyone have a fool proof noodle recipe that doesn't require the use of a pasta machine? Most of the recipes I've come across suggest using semolina flour..can I use just regular ol' flour? recipes and suggestions are greatly welcomed and appreciated!
cheers, julia hayes

being simple to simply be

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2005 :  6:10:28 PM  Show Profile
Julia - my granny's homemade noodles were the absolute best. Unfortunately, it was a recipe that was in her head and she never wrote it down. But I will tell you that she used to let all the grandkids help her make noodles. She always used regular flour and never used a pasta machine -- don't even know if they were around for home use when I was little! She rolled the dough about 1/4 in thick, sprinkled it with flour, then rolled up like a jelly roll. Then she'd take a sharp knife and start slicing noodles - you could do them as thick or as thin as you want. It was always our job to shake out the noodles. We did this over newspaper that had a little flour sprinkled on it. They would lay there until dry. Hope this helps some.

Here's one that I found that has excellent reviews.
http://www.recipezaar.com/27344

The only time that housework comes before sewing is in the dictionary!
http://rusticcottage.blogspot.com/

Edited by - therusticcottage on Nov 25 2005 6:21:56 PM
Go to Top of Page

prairiemaid
True Blue Farmgirl

200 Posts

Margret

Canada
200 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2005 :  07:39:48 AM  Show Profile
Here's my egg noodle recipe, similar to the one in the link

Egg Noodles

3 eggs, beaten
2 Tbsp. milk
1 tsp. salt
2 cups flour

Mix and knead until smooth and elastic. Roll thin and dry; cut to desired size.

Drop into boiling water and cook until tender, stirring frequently.

Call me old fashioned.
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2005 :  5:19:37 PM  Show Profile
Ours were similar to Kays but we hung them over the wood clothes drying rack. Mom used to roll them out on the dining room table cause it was big enough to roll it all out at once so she didnt have to mess with little bits. We never had semolina flour either.
eileen

Songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

westfork woman
True Blue Farmgirl

554 Posts

Kennie Lyn
Emmett Idaho
USA
554 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2005 :  6:26:46 PM  Show Profile
Just made noodles last night. Plain flour is fine. I use 2 eggs per 1 & 1/2 cups of flour. Put flour in large bowl, mix in a couple of teaspoons of salt. Make a well in the middle of the flour. Put the eggs in the center along with a tablespoon of cream and a tablespoon of olive oil. Start slowly mixing the eggs, cream, and oil with a fork, gradually add in the flour by just stirring around and around. When it gets to heavy to stir, turn the dough and flour out onto a board or countertop. Knead until it holds together and is quite heavy. Roll out with a rolling pin until it it is thin. You can let it dry like this for awhile or go ahead and cut it. Either roll it up and cut the noodles, or just start cutting the flat dough with a table knife. Make them as as thick or thin as you like. Toss the noodles with whatever flour is left on the board. Add them to the broth or soup or whatever you are cooking them in, a handful at a time. Making sure the broth boils each time. Sift (with your fingers) some of the leftover flour into the broth for thickening. Let them boil until they are tender to taste. Yummy. Ours were better today than yesterday.

Greetings from the morning side of the hill.
Go to Top of Page

prairiemaid
True Blue Farmgirl

200 Posts

Margret

Canada
200 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2005 :  12:36:27 PM  Show Profile
I toss my noodles with a lot of flour or else they stick together. Therefore I also have to cook my noodles in a pot of water first before adding them too the soup. Otherwise all the flour makes a thick soup! I learned that the hard way. LOL

Call me old fashioned.
Go to Top of Page

julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2005 :  3:16:49 PM  Show Profile
thanks everyone! Will certainly give these recipes a try!! been busy finishing a big sewing project for my son's preschool class. made a 2 sided panel curtain to cover a doorway that isn't supposed to have a regular door, but needs something to keep the draft down. I appliqued a garden scene on one side with flowers, etc and the other side was a big tree with all kinds of veggies in baskets..it turned out pretty sweet. The biggest challenge I'm dealing with now is making the sides and bottom straight. it measures 37" X 90" which is way bigger than I'm used to dealing with. I tend to get lazy on making things nice and even but this is important. So, I'm off to finish that and then I'm basically done! My goal was to have it done by Dec. 1st..a little late but not bad!! Thanks again!! cheers Julia

Go to Top of Page

prairiemaid
True Blue Farmgirl

200 Posts

Margret

Canada
200 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2005 :  3:19:28 PM  Show Profile
Sounds really nice, Julia!! Can you post us a picture???

Call me old fashioned.
Go to Top of Page

julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2005 :  6:21:45 PM  Show Profile
I would certainly post a picture if I knew how..I don't have a digital camera but I suppose I could scan a picture. Is that how everyone is doing it? I tell you, just connecting to this chat group is technologically far out for me..My phone has been down for 3 days, apparently and I just figured it out today!! I was wondering why things had been especially quiet. No complaints at all!! I find that my access to information and communication is completely redundant (home phone, cell phone, computer, email, lap-top, etc. etc.) ahhhh it makes me further commit to letter writing by hand, which is currently one of my favorite therapies!
Here's to simple holiday celebrations full of calm and cheer!
blessings, Julia

Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic homemade noodle help Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page