K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2008 :  10:38:29 AM  Show Profile
We ran usually about $65 from July to Oct. This last bill with our colder weather was $110 We have a 2150 sq ft house. I closed the doors to the rooms I do not use & shut the vents. We do not have a fireplace, *I would love a wood/pellet stove* that may be on the list for next year if the bill goes too high. In Arizona our electricity bill averaged $125 all year long.(airconditioning was the culpret there.)

http://www.k-fallsfarmgirl.blogspot.com/

Cheryl #309
Farm girl sister

Enjoy the little things in life....someday you'll look back and realize they were the big things.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2008 :  11:49:12 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I think the differences across the country are because there are so many power companies, also power is provided in many different ways. Some companies use clean power sources such as wind and solar. Some use water turbine/dams. Some use nuclear power and some still burn coal! Depending on the price to make power, it affects the consumer. Also each state has their own regulatory and tax prices against power so that can raise the price too.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Tammy Claxton
True Blue Farmgirl

1559 Posts

Tammy
Glen Burnie Maryland
USA
1559 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2008 :  11:56:20 AM  Show Profile  Send Tammy Claxton an AOL message
Our electric company got the approval last year to do a 72% price increase over the course of 18 months or so, I believe. It's been terrible. Our bills used to be 180 a month and then because of theprice hike, we are paying 250 to 300 a month for the same amount of usage. The budget billing plan rips people off and I'm calling them to cancel that. I'm paying double what Ishould be paying and then receiving credits once a year. It's just awful for electric customers here.

Crafty Bay Farmgirl Chapter

"What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger"

Farmgirl #152

http://countryintheburbs.blogspot.com/

http://bigdogmom130.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Pearlsnjeans
True Blue Farmgirl

248 Posts

Vicki
West Haven Utah
USA
248 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2008 :  12:01:47 PM  Show Profile
Okay ladies - don't throw rotten tomatoes - I work for one of those power companies. There are different rates across the country, depending on whether the company is large or a small municipality and location. If you are heating your home with electricity, heat is the BIGGEST user and is always costly. Years ago I worked in the sales area and we didn't even promote electric heat for residences because of the high cost. Kris, I hope you have an alternative.

Vicki
Farmgirl Sister #120
Today well lived makes every yesterday a memory of happiness and every tomorrow a vision of hope.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2008 :  6:49:30 PM  Show Profile
Yes, the more I read the more I think we'll get a fireplace insert and burn wood. This is rediculous. I live in very rural N. Ga. and a lot of people here burn wood. The only thing is we'd end up buying it because my husband is 60 and drives a truck 2 weeks at a time. He's so beat when he does get home, there's no way he'd be cutting wood, poor guy!

Driving through Kansas, I think, I saw the huge wind turbines. They sure are scary looking. I wonder how much power they make. There were hundreds of them. I wish we could have one here, but not enuf wind.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic $400.00 Light Bill Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page