Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Reading Room
 The Last Hours of Ancient Sunlight
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Reading Room: Previous Topic The Last Hours of Ancient Sunlight Next Topic  

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2005 :  12:00:28 PM  Show Profile
Good morning everyone,
I am almost finished reading this book and feel like I should shout from the roof top, please everybody read this book.
The Last Hours of Ancient Sunlight by Thom Hartmann is about waking up to personal and global transformation.
I recently read a book titled All Flesh is Grass by Gene Logdsen and found it informative and helpful but this one is amazing!
In the forward Joseph Chilton Pearce says" Perhaps our tendency to screen out and play ostrich is because the rape of our earth is simply too huge and awful a predicament...
In his book Thom begins by stating "It all begins with sunlight. Sunlight pours energy on the earth, and the energy gets converted from one form to another, in an endless cycle of life, death, and renewal." "In a very real sense, we're all made out of sunlight...Sunlight... is the source of virtually all life on earth. Everything you see alive around you is there because a plant somewhere was able to capture sunlight and store it"
He goes on to discuss how everything is interconnected and how we have tapped out our reserve bank accounts in stored ancient sunlight and the potential results this could bring about on this planet. He documents everything and then in the last chapters gives us ways we as responsible human beings can bring about a change.
I recommend this as the most important read of your life.
Eileen

Songbird; singing joy to the earth

KarenP
True Blue Farmgirl

666 Posts

Karen
Chippewa Falls Wisconsin
USA
666 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2005 :  07:06:09 AM  Show Profile
Thank you Eileen,
I added it to my wish list on half.com.
I'll get there soon I hope my reading backlog is getting lengthy.
I still need to finish THE FOUR AGREEMENTS.
KarenP

"Purest Spring Water in the World"
Go to Top of Page

thehouseminder
True Blue Farmgirl

361 Posts

USA
361 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2005 :  11:52:05 AM  Show Profile
Thank you Eileen! I will read this.

I suffer from SAD. It seems to get work every year but I learned some wonderful coping mechanisms from some friends in Finland when I visited them.

1) Use full spectrum lighting whenever possible
2) Do not dress in "winter" colors. White is the best color to wear and pastels come in second.
3) Limit the use of sunglasses in winter and let the sunlight reach your eyes.
4) Last, and most important to me, having SAD does not mean you are mentally ill. Scientists in Scandinavia believe that it is actually a primal fear or ancient memory. The most important thing to Stone Age people was the sun. Without it, even they knew that life would cease: There would be no warmth, no plant life, no animals to hunt for food. For this reason it is believed that Stone Age people eagerly marked the sun's progress and worried when it took longer and longer to appear and disappeared earlier and earlier every day. They were afraid that some day it would not show up at all.

In an effort to honor my feelings and have a greater awareness of our connection to the earth, I do what my Celtic Ancestors did. I get up at the darkest part of the night on the Winter Solstice, light a candle, and say a Prayer of Thanksgiving for the seasons. I'm sure that some of my fellow Born Agains would think this might be a bad idea but I think God likes it when we pay attention to the natural rhythms He has created.

At any rate, this book sounds like GOOD winter reading!

Lucinda

When we were young, there were moments of such perfectly crystallized happiness that we stood stock still and silently promised ourselves that we would remember them always. And we did. --Holly J. Burkhalter , "Four Midwestern Sisters' Christmas Book"

Go to Top of Page

KarenP
True Blue Farmgirl

666 Posts

Karen
Chippewa Falls Wisconsin
USA
666 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2005 :  2:00:10 PM  Show Profile
Lucinda,
Amen!
KarenP

"Purest Spring Water in the World"
Go to Top of Page

Debs
True Blue Farmgirl

100 Posts

Debs
Wellington
New Zealand
100 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2005 :  2:21:27 PM  Show Profile
I am half-way through this book, and have read the section about what is described as the worst drug addiction of our culture today, television! I can agree with this to an extent, and think that 95% of what is shown on TV is rubbish (and that is partly why we are getting rid of our TV tomorrow).
It is fascinating what he writes about the ancient cultures as well. The wisdom of the ancient tribes that are still around today, Native American, South American, African is something we all can learn from. I can't wait to finish the book and discuss what these changes are that we can bring about!

Debby
Go to Top of Page

Birdcat
MaryJane's Farmboy

51 Posts

erik

51 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2006 :  11:29:48 AM  Show Profile
Clare recommended this book to me and it's sitting in my "to read" pile 'cause i'm cruising through another Clare recommendation called "Democracy's Edge" by Francis (Diet for a Small Planet) Lappe, which is great. I actually bought it for MJ for christmas and was going to burn through it and then wrap it up (here's a question grrls: is it wrong to read a book you're about to give as a gift?) and give it to her but i'm having a problem because i've become so enraptured with the histories of the Eastern Woodland Native Americans i can hardly stand to read anything else (there's a foot high stack of Hockey Canada symposium papers to read pronto, too). I bet most everybody has the same problem: there's just too much great stuff to read and so little time to read it. Dang it.

But i sure like the concept of Ancient Sunlight. As a member of the human sunlight society, i hope this is the chapter in our collective story where we pause to reflect and make the lightspeed connections that help this planet bloom.
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2006 :  11:44:21 AM  Show Profile
Erik, I'm a little over half way through Ancient Sunlight... and I can only say that you will LOVE it. I'm positive. He expounds on Older Cultures vs Younger Cultures... and we know who the Older Cultures are, right? Don't let those hockey papers take precedence over this book. There are so many points that strike me... but I will wait until finishing to summarize those.

Democray's Edge still hasn't hit my library, so waiting as patiently as I can for that.

"I am not bound to win, but I am bound to be true. I am not bound to succeed, but I am bound to live up to what light I have." - Abraham Lincoln.... http://farmstyle.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2006 :  1:24:54 PM  Show Profile
don't know that i will get to this book for sometime .. but would sure love to hear passages from it .. and ideas .. a 'book report' as you each read it.

erik .. books that have been read by others is a fantastic gift .. especially, if they have written their thoughts and ideas in the margins .. i think a little of everyone's spirit passes into the pages of all books that have been read by friends and strangers.

True Friends, Frannie

Edited by - CabinCreek-Kentucky on Jan 02 2006 1:26:04 PM
Go to Top of Page

jenny louise
True Blue Farmgirl

166 Posts

jennifer
cass city MI
USA
166 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2006 :  5:31:23 PM  Show Profile
Eileen, I read ancient sunlight about two years ago, and now both of my children want to read it as they have heard things from their friends about it. Nice to know that such a powerful book is continuously making ripples!!!( one child is on her owm far away and one is in college).
I lent it to someone along the way, which I am fond of doing and it hasn't come back, so I hope that my copy is making changes somewhere. Thanks for bringing it up, might be worth making a trip to the big city to get another copy...
Jenny
Go to Top of Page
  Reading Room: Previous Topic The Last Hours of Ancient Sunlight Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page