Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 How many "Junk drawers" do you need anyways?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic How many "Junk drawers" do you need anyways? Next Topic  

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2008 :  6:52:10 PM  Show Profile
I was looking for a small sample of dental floss I know I have in my bathroom drawer... But where did I see it last? Checked in the top "junk Drawer" that's the drawer in the bathroom where I keep all those silly things like the back of earrings, a broken earring I am going to fix, the stash of extra emergency bandaids, a small flashlight w no batteries,15 extra loose batteries(not sure if they are charged.) extra new toothbrush, (Dentist issued.)cute small soap from hotel stay from Costa Rica trip. Tiny note pad & pen,* that may or may not work, thank you card I received, string, small shampoo bottle *lotions. Safety pin and old make-up (back of drawer.) So I went to the kitchen drawer... Oh forget it there were too many things in there that were not even close or usable for dental floss.. Do you have this problem? I seem to slip everything (I might want to save it that drawer)! I am trying, really trying to SIMPLIFY!

http://www.k-fallsfarmgirl.blogspot.com/

Cheryl #309
Farm girl sister

Enjoy the little things in life....someday you'll look back and realize they were the big things.

Edited by - K-Falls Farmgirl on Nov 05 2008 6:54:00 PM

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2008 :  7:23:57 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Oh no Cheryl!

The first thing you should do is toss that old make up! Makeup that is older than 3 months old can be host to all sorts of nasty bacteria that can give you anything from a rash to pink eye to worse!

I hope you found you dental floss!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2008 :  7:54:11 PM  Show Profile
Oh I finally found it... It was in My travel bag... Sheesh.. The make up was really old, I tossed it already. I was a Mary Kay beauty consultant for awhile and I know I should have tossed it ages ago.
Funny how that stuff accumulates huh?

Cheryl #309
Farm girl sister

Enjoy the little things in life....someday you'll look back and realize they were the big things.
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2008 :  8:35:46 PM  Show Profile
I have 3 junk drawers and it is all stuff I could never do without!!!! hehehehehehe

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett Beverley with an extra E...
http://bevsdoggies.googlepages.com/
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9394 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9394 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2008 :  04:17:43 AM  Show Profile
I have a junk drawer in every room. Bleh :(

Denise
farmgirl sister #43
"Take a lesson from the teakettle, though up to its
neck in hot water...it sings!"

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2008 :  04:28:17 AM  Show Profile
Cheryl,
More junk on the way, I mailed out your package yesterday. HA.
Nancy Jo

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2008 :  06:04:21 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
I'm guilty, too. And it seems like every time I sit down and try to sort through stuff, even though I throw out a bunch, the drawer is STILL full!

Farmgirl Sister #50

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?"
'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2008 :  06:20:19 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
LOL Yes it is funny how that stuff accumulates. I know better too, but I finally got rid of an eyeliner pencil that had to of been almost 2 years old! Yikes!

My junk drawer is my desk drawer which is really thin so that works out, but then I find that stuff just piles up on surfaces so I have to be pretty militant about putting things away if we want our house to look decent. LOL What I wouldn't do to have a junk drawer! LOL

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2008 :  06:25:26 AM  Show Profile
Nancy-I am sure I want your Junk... HA! I started out with a small drawer....but somehow it overflowed into another drawer..I gotta clean it out....tomorrow or this weekend or....someday!

Cheryl #309
Farm girl sister

Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2008 :  08:10:48 AM  Show Profile
I think the bathroom junk drawers are the worst mine just gathers things that should never have been saved and holds on to it until you open it and say OMG where did all this come from. I think the junk drawer goblins are related to the wire hanger ropopulation team. You know if you have 2 in a closet and close the door when you open it again you have 12.
Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

La Patite Ferme
True Blue Farmgirl

623 Posts

Jenn
CA
USA
623 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2008 :  08:50:47 AM  Show Profile

Thanks for giving me a big laugh this morning Cheryl because in your story I saw myself last Saturday - looking for something and couldn't find it in the "junk drawer". So, I started throwing stuff out - like lipstick and other make-up that dates back God knows when, bits of paper, rubberbands, safty pins, you know all the stuff that accumulates. The lotion, shampoo, conditioner, and soap from our travels were all consolidated so we could actually use them :) what a concept.

Wow! now I can actually close the drawer without smashing something.

Just getting a bag and start tossing
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2008 :  03:02:50 AM  Show Profile
We have 3. One for tool type things...batteries...screws my hubby brings home in his pocket, earplugs,,a milion alan wrenches we never sem to be able to find... the second is for rubberbands and twist ties and tape...third one has receipts that are kept until the item has proven that it won't be returned any time soon or the bill has been paid and marked as paid....or they start fallng behind the drawer because it's crammed too full!.

About every 6 months or so I go through each one and clean house.

Amazing how this "stuff" really piles up!

And for anyone who has ever cleaned house after a death form someone who lived in the Depression Era...that in itself is interesting.

I think my husband who lived w/ his grandma for 18 years got it from her.
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9394 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9394 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2008 :  05:12:47 AM  Show Profile
Anna,
I have done the cleaning out after a person passes away and boy oh boy those women saved everything. You name it and they saved it. Envelopes for scrap paper, plastic bags galore, paper clips, rubberbands(some were so old when we pick they up they broke) and lots of other things. Kitchen items were especially popular with these ladies.

I came from a household that threw nothing away because we may just use that up someday and it is REALLY hard for me to get rid of things. When I hear someone say they decluttered and got rid of say, 7 bags of stuff, I am the person who can only come up with a half of a bag. I know I need to rid things but it;s terrible having the packrat gene. I have gone through tons of stuff lately and just close my eyes and get rid of it. I am learning to be ruthless.
The junk drawers in every room aren't too bad. I go through them fairly often and we don't have drawers in our bathrooms so that is not a problem.

Denise
farmgirl sister #43
"Take a lesson from the teakettle, though up to its
neck in hot water...it sings!"

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2008 :  05:37:53 AM  Show Profile
To be completely honest: I have way too many lol
But most things in there are supposed to go somewhere else, or can be thrown out.
Guess it is also a bit laziness, lol

My mom never threw something away that she thought she might need, one day!
When she passed I too did some re-organizing
So for me too it is a bit difficult to just throw stuff out.
I am getting better though! Been doing some de-cluttering and de-junking lately and threw a lot out!
But one thing is for sure: I don't save old make up anymore, mom did that and I threw a LOT out when she passed :(

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

http://princess-of-pink-creations.blogspot.com/
my new BLOG.
I have added "new" creations, take a look :)
And also some pictures of my village, come for a visit
Go to Top of Page

palmettogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

571 Posts

sue
camden south carolina
USA
571 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2008 :  06:25:41 AM  Show Profile
sometimes i think that ALL my drawers are junk drawers! i also have a tendancy to keep things..... but the truth of the matter is that A: as soon as i throw it out, within a week or so, i need it!! or B: the stuff that i keep for years is always the stuff someone else needs and i'm the only one who knows what vacinity to look for it and actually find it! it is tough though and i have also found out that as i'm getting older (boy, do i hate admitting that!) i am becoming more willing to take a chance and just get rid of the clutter.
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2008 :  09:42:48 AM  Show Profile
I agree Sue. We are collectors...We never know when we are gonna need to find that thing nobody else knows where it is..cause nobody else looks for it....

Cheryl #309
Farm girl sister

Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2008 :  11:30:42 AM  Show Profile
I keep getting more furniture with drawers to hold all my junk! Seriously, I've got a whole dresser in the dining room that I've filled with trinkets and treasures. I saw a Victorian cabinet of curios at the science museum at an early age, and I think that became the guiding motif for my life. Sometimes you just have to embrace it...
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2008 :  1:02:15 PM  Show Profile
I hear you Amy.. and boy, I have...

Cheryl #309
Farm girl sister

Edited by - K-Falls Farmgirl on Nov 07 2008 1:02:41 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic How many "Junk drawers" do you need anyways? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page