Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Finally Living the Dream Next Topic  

Magdalene
Farmgirl in Training

24 Posts

Prince Edward Island
Canada
24 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2008 :  04:16:02 AM  Show Profile
My husband and I bought 25 acres here in Prince Edward Island last spring. Both of us, since we were children, have wanted live on an acreage. Yet both of us managed to spend most of our lives in the city where we were miserable.

Last April, at long last, we packed up everything and drove across Canada from the West Coast to the East Coast. The reason we moved so far was affordability - in British Columbia we couldn't even afford a tiny city lot without a house.

Our land is half-field, half forest, with three small ponds on the property. We have a view of the ocean. We only have three 'close' neighbors and we can barely see their houses in the distance. Our driveway is 800 feet long! At last, long awaited peace and quiet, except for the howling of coyotes at night!

Simon is building the house by himself, and we hope to move into the basement by December. That way we can finish the rest of the inside at our leisure. Right now, the travel trailer we're living in is very small and very cold!

We have 38 chickens, so far, and two pet geese. Next year we hope to acquire guinea fowl, Chinese geese (for eating), and meat rabbits. Eventually, we would like some sheep and a dairy cow.

This year I managed to plant sunflowers, cucumbers, pumpkins, tomatoes and onions. Some things thrived, others most certainly did not!I definitely will be asking for advice in the veggie gardening department! And no doubt, in other departments as well - I'm so looking forward to meeting other members!

I must add that I spent most of my life crippled by panic attacks. I'd not been farther than 100 miles from home for the last 20 years, when we moved clear across the country. I think I finally found the courage because I'm 46 years old, and life was ticking away. If I didn't make the leap now, when would I ever? Life is truly too short to waste!

We don't have much money - in fact, Simon is looking for work right now, but we're so much happier here. We hope to become as self-sufficient as possible. This is our dream and we will try our hardest to make it succeed!

I obey the three 'C's of life: Cats, Chocolate, and Chickens

tomlizmom
Farmgirl at Heart

5 Posts

Debbie
Dayton MD
USA
5 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2008 :  04:30:42 AM  Show Profile
Magdalene,

Thank you so much for sharing this story. I wish you and Simon all the happiness and contentment in the world. If you have a picture of your beautiful new home, would you please share it?

married to Rob, 20 years, ds 14, and dd 13
Go to Top of Page

dkelewae
True Blue Farmgirl

1310 Posts

Diana
Saint Peters MO
USA
1310 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2008 :  05:39:15 AM  Show Profile
Magdalene- Thanks for sharing your life. I'm so glad that you and your family are getting to realize your dream. I suffered from panic attacks for many many years, so I can totally relate. I love your 3 C's of life...I have the cats, love my chocolate, and someday hope to move where I can have chickens!

Diana
Farmgirl Sister #272
St. Peters MO
Country Girl trapped in the city!

http://farmgirldreams.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Magdalene
Farmgirl in Training

24 Posts

Prince Edward Island
Canada
24 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2008 :  06:24:32 AM  Show Profile
Hello Debbie and Diana, nice to meet you! I will post pics when I figure it all out - I'm on dial-up so uploading is painfully slow. Better slow than nothing, though!
Diana, I still have the odd panic attack but mostly at the dentist's office! I find it hard to be stressed whilst watching the chickens scratch around the yard, ah, bliss.

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2008 :  06:28:46 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Welcome to the forum, Magdalene! Your new homestead sounds amazing! Your farming plans sound great!! I hope you are able to move into the new house soon! Your camper does sound a bit chilly!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

rhondacate
True Blue Farmgirl

234 Posts

Rhonda
Janesville CA
USA
234 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2008 :  07:41:32 AM  Show Profile
Sounds like a great life. I would love to visit PEI someday. How could the place where Anne lived be anything but peaceful? :)

~Rhonda
Go to Top of Page

paradiseplantation
True Blue Farmgirl

1277 Posts

julie
social springs community Louisiana
USA
1277 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2008 :  11:28:50 AM  Show Profile
Magdalene - I envy you! Prince Edward Island has always been a favorite vacation spot for my parents and my aunts, and I've seen beautiful pictures of it! I just know you're gonna do great there. And I'll keep y'all in my prayers for your continued success and for Simon to find a job that's just perfect! I'm also keeping an eye out for those pictures!

from the hearts of paradise...
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2008 :  07:07:29 AM  Show Profile
Magdalene,
Hi, my husband and I have also just started to live our dream. We were given land on my husbands homestead last year, built a garage to start with and now live in it!!! Our house sold in December of '07, of all times, and we had to move to where we are. We have made it home and it is comfortable. With the economy as it is we will live here awhile so built another garage for storage :-)
We heat with only a wood stove and it is so cozy!!! I have never felt so at peace. Our children are grown, our youngest a Senior in College (YEAH!!!) and now we will start farming for our retirement.
This coming spring we will start with our chickens and the move to beef. The farm will come first and the house somewhere down the road.
I am always open to ideas for starting out so please share. The more we do ourselves the better.
Rae

I love living in the country!!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2008 :  07:45:54 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Welcome Rae! Your homestead sounds wonderful! I love how you are making a situation work for you and your husband!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2008 :  09:05:54 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Rae, Enjoy your new life on the farm..

http://www.k-fallsfarmgirl.blogspot.com/

Cheryl #309
Farm girl sister

Enjoy the little things in life....someday you'll look back and realize they were the big things.
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2008 :  11:25:59 AM  Show Profile
Hi, Magdalene. I love your story. My husband and I talk about moving to Canada (either PEI or New Brunswick) but moving to another country seems like an insurmountable challenge, so it's inspiring to hear about your big move. I visited PEI this past spring, so I can just picture your acreage even without the photo.
Go to Top of Page

Magdalene
Farmgirl in Training

24 Posts

Prince Edward Island
Canada
24 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2008 :  1:07:47 PM  Show Profile
Rae, at least you've got your priorities straight...FARM FIRST! We were talking today, yet again, about getting a beef calf next year, but sheesh, have to build a small barn first and fence a field in!

Amie, it might be tough to move, but it isn't impossible! It's amazing how many folks have been here, or know someone who has visited. A lot of Americans have bought places here.

Alee, thanks for the welcome - I'm glad to be here! I'm counting the days until we get into the house!

Rhonda - I love the Anne of GG books. I only read them for the first time last year, if you can believe it.

Julie - thanks for your thoughts, and you know what? Simon did get hired at a great place - he starts work next Friday - yay!

I hope I haven't missed anyone! I love the warm welcomes - thank you!

Go to Top of Page

La Patite Ferme
True Blue Farmgirl

623 Posts

Jenn
CA
USA
623 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2008 :  3:03:56 PM  Show Profile
Congrats on your new start!! and Thanks to both of you for letting us all live vicariously through your adventure. Ask away - there's lot's of ideas, support, encouragement, know-how and experience on this forum, so you'll never be alone.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2008 :  5:48:05 PM  Show Profile
Hello Magdalene. Your place sounds so neat. I, too, can just imagine the beauty there. I loved the Ann books and was glued to the tv when they were on PBS. I have always wanted to go to PEI. How blessed you are to be there. I hope you have many wonderful years there and tons of great memories, too.

I wonder what the growing season is like there. The climate and all that. How long is the growing season? And can you grow just anything there? Like potatoes and onions? I'll look forward to hearing more from you on all your new adventures and new experiences.

I have chickens (and 9 of them are here in my computer room with me chirping away, noisy little things!) Also 2 calves, one is a steer that will be in the freezer one day. He's too darn cute though. And the little heifer is going to be my keeper for new calves. Also, don't let a barn stop you from getting a cow. They do fine out side. I have a small barn and they hardly ever go in it. I have milk goats, too. I do plan on milking the cow when she has a calf, too. I have 4 pesky pigs that will soon be good pork chops. Can't wait!

So sometimes ya just have to jump on in and learn as you go! It's fun and a lot of hard work, but SO worth it.

Kris
Go to Top of Page

keeperofthehome
True Blue Farmgirl

154 Posts

Suzanne
Atlanta Georgia
USA
154 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2008 :  09:38:56 AM  Show Profile
How wonderful Rae & Madgelene!
My husband was just saying today that if the economy doesn't get better we may end up on my in-laws homestead and become 100% self-sustaining. I'm so glad to read here and in the magazines that it is totally possible.

Blessings for your endeavors!

Blessings!
~Farrah
http://homesteadblogger.com/keeperofthehome/
http://oldfashionedhomekeeper.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Magdalene
Farmgirl in Training

24 Posts

Prince Edward Island
Canada
24 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2008 :  5:27:31 PM  Show Profile
Hello Kristin, spring arrives very late here, so for a longer season, it's better to start seeds inside - this was our first year, but next year, I'll be prepared. Everything grows here, though - PEI is the potato capital of Canada!
How much room do you have for your cow? We could build a lean-to but it's the fencing that is so expensive. I'd love to get a milk and a beef calf, too.

Hi Farrah, thanks for your thoughts - I'm sure life would be great on your in-laws homestead - it really is a new exciting life for us!

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2008 :  5:43:52 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Magdalene- MaryJane has plans for a very nice but inexpensive greenhouse. Perhaps you could build one of those? It costs around $100 US dollars to build and the plans were featured in the May/June issue of the Magazine.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2008 :  04:37:56 AM  Show Profile
Magdalene
Depending on the # of cattle maybe you could do a smaller shed type thing. We let people know we are building and for the garage got all the tin free for the roof. Lots of time people are tearing down and getting rid of things and will give it for nothing. Besides then it doesn't just sit and waste away.
Our live sounds a lot like you. We were in town but still just too much noise for us and what we wanted. Funny as we get older we need so much less for the froo froo (as I call it) and are content with simple. I have picked up my knitting and crocheting again and slowly learning to make new things. I can whatever I can get my hands on and do a lot of cooking from scratch, cheaper and better for you. We live pretty much check to check but each month it gets closer to having other things from past lives paid off.
Rae

Go to Top of Page

Magdalene
Farmgirl in Training

24 Posts

Prince Edward Island
Canada
24 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2008 :  10:50:39 AM  Show Profile
Hi Rae!

Yes, I've found that too, that as I get older, my priorities change. My neighbor has agreed to teach me how to knit so would like to try that. I'm not very crafty (the only person in my entire family tree who isn't!) but it's never too late, right? I've never canned, but I do love baking. I'm not an enthusiastic cook, so when I do, I make a ton of it and then freeze most of it, ie: soups, stews, baked beans, etc. It's amazing how much money one can save by not buying packaged foods.

My husband worked on a demolition site before we moved, and scavenged enough tin roofing for a small barn or two, plus windows and doors, among other things. Free is always good. He also scavenged enough real oak hardwood flooring to do our new house - we just have to sand and revarnish it, so that's a huge savings.

I think we'll really try for a calf next spring. Our other neighbors agreed to go halvers with us, so that's excellent. Meat rabbits are also on the list.
This winter I'll be plotting and planning my veggie gardens (never planted one in my life except for a few things last summer).

One of the huge surprises that we discovered on our property was the abundance of apple trees. Next year, we HAVE to have a cold storage area ready.

So many things on the LIST!

Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2008 :  11:01:32 AM  Show Profile
Magdalene,
Apples can be frozed as well. I peel and slice mine, put them into a mixture of 1 gallon water 2 TBSP salt for a couple minutes, set on dish towel to dry a bit and freeze. They do not turn brown that way. My Grandma used to do that way and I found it in an old canning book. Lucky you, we have to get some apple trees and plant them as well.
Good luck with garden. A lot of my stuff is trial and error. I was scared to death of the pressure cooker the first year but now I love it.
I have trouble reading patterns when learning how to knit and crochet, more of a show me kind of person. It is relaxing though and I have made a lot of baby blankets for gifts.
Nice to have someone new to this stuff as well. My husband grew up on a farm so he knows what he is doing, thank heaves for me :-)
Rae

Go to Top of Page

Alpaca Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

59 Posts

Katy
Fairhope AL
USA
59 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2008 :  9:21:36 PM  Show Profile
Magdalene, (Beautiful name BTW)
I am so happy for you! Wonderful that you have taken that leap of faith and went for your dream. My husband and I both quit our jobs in 2000 to farm (and for him to be an artist). Yes, we were crazy, but fortunately it has worked.

Stay warm and keep us up to date on the house. Can't wait to see pictures!
Katy

Visit me at www.alpacafarmgirl.com
Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Finally Living the Dream Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page