hipmamato4
True Blue Farmgirl

51 Posts

danielle
wernersville pa
USA
51 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2008 :  6:00:37 PM  Show Profile
I haven't been around for a few weeks, but occasionally I check in to see what's happening. My husband was in the hospital for a week, nearing liver failure for eating some poisonous mushrooms in our yard--amanita phalloides, or death cap, which some of you West Coast people might be more familiar with than us on the East Coast. No, it wasn't a suicide attempt (LOL) as some people wondered. He was just being foolish and thought they might taste good. Anyway, that's another post entirely. I promised that I would post about some of the births (human) that I have attended recently as a doula. Last week's birth was an emergency c/s for toxemia and the birth before that happened so quickly I didn't get there in time. So, here's the latest.

At 3:30 this morning my cell phone rang. I tried it on vibrate this time thinking that the vibration on my bed stand would be a gentler way to wake up than the ring, even on the lowest sound setting. My 2 yr old is in our bedroom also so I was hoping to not wake him or my husband up. It worked. It was a very gentle way to wake up! Anyway, Lasi (my doula partner) called and said that our client's water had broken and she was having easy contractions (abbreviated ctx). She said that she was getting up to get ready to go, so I told her that I was going to go back to sleep until we got the word to leave for the birth. About 45 minutes later she called again, to say that the ctx were getting stronger and we were to leave. I got up, packed some food, unpacked a birth stool that had just returned from a rental in Phila. and headed out the door. Arrived at the mom's house about 5 AM, to find her in the bathtub on her side and her boyfriend with her, being very calm and patient. She was cold so she put a towel over her whole body and I poured water over her. This mom (31 yo) had her first baby as a teenager and it was a highly interventive and traumatic birth for her. That was 13 years ago and she really wanted to do things better this time. She educated herself, chose good midwives, wanted a homebirth, and used Hypnobabies Childbirth Education for her relaxation and birth education. She was so relaxed the whole time using the hypnosis.

Mom stayed in the bathtub for awhile. The bathroom was so warm, which was a welcome change from the usual chilly climate in a hospital. I have been known to wear long underwear to hospital birth, I get so cold. From the bathtub we (well, she!) sat on the potty for awhile, which does great things for helping a mama to open her pelvis and baby to come down. From there we went to the bed and she labored on her side and on her hands and knees. At one point, she said, "oh, my, he's coming. I can really feel him moving down." It was moving pretty quickly. They called the midwife who was at another birth. (I have yet to have a birth with a midwife who arrives too late, but at this point I am not really worried aobut it because most of the time things go so well, especially at home. My sister in law was two pushes away from having her baby in my van last September. That was as close as I have gotten. I called the midwife and had her on the phone just in case. As it turned out, we pulled up to the birth center and they told her she could have the babe in the car, which she declined due to aesthetics! We walked in and she pushed her daughter out in two pushes. But, I digress.) Mom was just doing wonderfully and then the midwife arrived. I let her in the door, and without going into details she was SUPER ticked off and clearly not in the place that she needed to be to attend the arrival of a new life. I asked her if she was ok- she said not really,. I asked what I could do to help. She complained about the couple. I was so disappinted! I eventually told the dad that we need to protect the mama from all the negative enrgy coming for the midwife, (whom I know and DO like) He totally agreed and we just went about and did our thing. Mom moved around a good bit, was on the toilet again and the birth ball. At this point she was near transition and laid on the bed on hands and knees (a great birthing position. Calmly and quietly she said he's coming. And...he came. A slow crown. Two more pushes and he gently and quietly came into the world at 7:20 AM. It was so wonderful and peaceful and just the way that birth can and should be. He didn't cry. He just nuzzled his mama and looked around. Labor was 4 hours, only 1 hour from 7 cm-birth.

After the lovely birth the midwife came downstairs and thanked Lasi and me again and again. She said it was a pleasure to watch us do our stuff with mom. She also apologized for how she came to the birth and said it had been a rough night with a young mom at the hospital who was probably going to be c/sectioned. I understood her pain and frustration. I was glad that she realized her place and the impact of her negative energy at the birth. It made me wonder if we all need to "check our energy/attitude" when we arrive somewhere and walk into a room or situation. At birth, especially, it is important for us to bring into the envrironment calm, peace and revernece for the miracle that is taking place, not only within the new baby's life, but also the transformation that is taking place with a new mama, papa and family as well. I love the lessons in birth. This birth restored my spirit.

Homebirthing, home-schooling mama to 4 awesome kids, living an idyllic country life in Pennsylvania

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2008 :  10:41:41 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
That sounds lovely, Danielle! Congrats to the new mom, dad and baby.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

5 acre Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1007 Posts

~~~*Terri*~~~
WA.
USA
1007 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2008 :  08:42:43 AM  Show Profile
Birth!!!! It is soo beautiful!!!!
What can I say, it awes me each and every time I attend a birth,,,,
I too, want to be a Doula....something almost "magical" happens when a new life is brought into the world, reagrdless of the circumstances....
Congrats for you being able to be there...and to the new mom and dad...

Farmgirl Sister #368
http://froccsfrillsfurbiloesandmore.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kmbrown
True Blue Farmgirl

459 Posts

Misty
Waynesboro Pennsylvania
USA
459 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2008 :  5:21:16 PM  Show Profile
Sounds like the perfect birth!! Sometimes I really miss delivering babies!! Maybe when my babies get older I'll renew my midwife brain and retire my mommy brain!!
Go to Top of Page

bohemiangel
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Bridget
Ligonier pa
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2008 :  05:59:55 AM  Show Profile  Send bohemiangel an AOL message  Click to see bohemiangel's MSN Messenger address  Send bohemiangel a Yahoo! Message
Wow what a nice story! I know hardly anything about birthing at home and doulas etc. I know the very basic info. Noone I know does it but I find it fabulous and so meaningful!

**~~Farmgirl Sister #60~~**
"... to thine ownself be true."
http://ligonierfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
http://liggygirl.blogspot.com/
http://liggybitsandpieces.blogspot.com/
http://ligonierliving.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2008 :  06:33:33 AM  Show Profile
I had a midwife with my first and she was the best! She was better than 1000 doctors and even though my son is 6 1/2 I still talk to her every so often!

Danielle, thank you for sharing about this with us! What a wonderful experience!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic A lovely birth Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page