Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 What is your favorite handmade gift?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic What is your favorite handmade gift? Next Topic
Page: of 4

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2008 :  10:06:52 AM  Show Profile
Grace,

I would be happy to share the rub recipes. They make great additions to gift baskets. Let me go find the recipes and I'll email them to you.

Marcia

"Nature always has the last laugh." Mrs. Greenthumbs

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2008 :  10:38:06 AM  Show Profile
I am doing my happy dance again..

Thanks so much Marcia - I have many on my list who would love to get these recipes.

Marcia - I will want on pins and needles - Ok may not but I sure will check back tonight.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kpaints
True Blue Farmgirl

1564 Posts

karen
cheney wa
1564 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2008 :  2:25:20 PM  Show Profile  Send kpaints an AOL message
Marcia, I have a soon to be son in law and he loves to BBQ is there a possibility I could get one of the rub recipes so I could make him some for Christmas? Thank you if you have time to do this. Karen

Find your joy and live it. http://cheneybaglady.blogspot.com/http://www.kpaints.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2008 :  2:27:58 PM  Show Profile
I like to give home-made gifts, but there are only one or two folks in my family that get into home-made things. One is my daughter, who knitted me a beautiful neck scarf two years ago, and it is one of my favorite things.

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2008 :  5:52:27 PM  Show Profile
I'll just post the recipe here so all can enjoy.

All-Purpose Spice Rub

1/3 cup coarse salt(I use Kosher or Sea Salt)
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup paprika
2 tablespoons ground black pepper
2 tablespoons dried oregano
2 tablespoons dried thyme leaves
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper, optional(I only use about half that much and it's plenty)

In a small bowl, combine all the ingredients using your hands to break up the sugar. Store in an airtight container, away from heat and light, up to 6 months. Makes 1 1/4 cups.

I packaged it in jars with pretty labels and fabric tied with raffia.

Other variations: I've tried all except the southwestern rub.

Southwestern:
Replace some of the paprika with cumin, coriander and chili powder.

Indian:(really good!)
Replace the oregano and thyme with tumeric, curry powder, ground ginger and cardamom.

Mediterranean:
Replace some or all of the oregano and/or thyme with dried tarragon, marjoram, dill or basil. Omit the cayenne pepper.

Use 1-2 tablespoons of rub for each pound of meat. You can either apply the rub and grill immediately or apply up to 24 hours ahead of time to let the flavors develop.

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2008 :  6:17:49 PM  Show Profile
Jeannie - I am sure your scarf is a treasure - you taught your daughter well.

Marcia - I am writing all this down - thanks so much for sharing - I love that you can change it to taste.. I think this would be perfect for a barbque basket filled with a grilling apron, tools, sauce and some buffalo steaks from my neighbors herd - what a kick.... THANKS

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

prairielandherbs
True Blue Farmgirl

690 Posts

Maggie
Iowa
USA
690 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2008 :  07:24:07 AM  Show Profile
Grace, I finally checked out my store of goods! I have herbed wildberry jelly (grape, elderberry, wild plums, sage and thyme), caramel apple butter, brandied apple butter, strawberry and lavender jam, violet jelly, rosemary crabapple syrup, caramelized gingered pears, and purple basil jelly. As i said, i have white peaches and grape juice in my freezer for making jelly and jam, plus I have dried rosepetals earmarked for making rose petal jam or jelly. :)
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2008 :  07:37:59 AM  Show Profile
Maggie they all sound wonderful - if you might email of this fourm we can talk trade and such. I must say you make the greatest combinations. Again thank you so much for taking the time to check for me. Did I miss something, you have a shop? Is it online?? Sorry if I have really missed the boat.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

prairielandherbs
True Blue Farmgirl

690 Posts

Maggie
Iowa
USA
690 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2008 :  09:18:54 AM  Show Profile
emailed ya!

Marcia, thank you so much for posting those rub recipes, I think they're GREAT!!!!
Go to Top of Page

jo Thompson
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jo
the mountainside of the Chugach in Alaska
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2008 :  1:33:57 PM  Show Profile
cheese balls! yeah...... Need your recipe Grace....... Mine is pomegranate jelly. It's so sparkly.

"life is drab without a lab"
http://web.mac.com/thomja/
Go to Top of Page

Homespun Livin
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Brenda
Louisiana
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2008 :  6:19:30 PM  Show Profile
Maggie, thank you so very much for the Caramel Apple Butter recipe. That is surely a winning combination. My mouth is watering. :P

Marcia, thank you as well for the spice rub recipes. One of my brothers really enjoys cooking on the grill and I am sure he will love this. :)

"Love one another."

Edited by - Homespun Livin on Nov 08 2008 6:55:04 PM
Go to Top of Page

mothergoose
True Blue Farmgirl

56 Posts

Richere
tiverton rhodeiland
USA
56 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2008 :  4:36:07 PM  Show Profile
Thank You for the Spruce jelly recipe Marybeth.This spring I will try to make it.The best handmade gift was a wedding present from my brother Eugene at 16 years old.He made a trestle style coffee table out of pine 3" thick,22"high,22"deep,52"long.In the past 30 years it has been a coffee table,plant table ,bench seat at counter at parties and children's table at parties.For the Holidays we go to a simple Service then have a feast after.No gifts are exchanged in general.When we do give gifts to friend they are homemade.Most often caramel popcorn made with maple syrup.Recipe;8 cups popped corn spread thinly in sheetcake pan that is lightly buttered,1 or 2 cups maple syrup,1 tablespoon butter or smart-balance margerine,(nuts optional)...Cook maple syrup + butter in saucepan till soft crack ,if you like it chewy or hardcrack if not.Pour in thin stream over popped corn (& nuts).Let cool, Break up and serve or put in nice tin for a gift.Enjoy!
Go to Top of Page

mothergoose
True Blue Farmgirl

56 Posts

Richere
tiverton rhodeiland
USA
56 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2008 :  4:42:20 PM  Show Profile
I reread my reply eesh...We give gifts to friends and co-workers if they give us some- We do not want them to feel bad or unappreciated.May everyone find peace and pleasure in the Holiday no matter how simple!
Go to Top of Page

tribalcime
True Blue Farmgirl

2963 Posts

lisa
lexington ky
USA
2963 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2008 :  4:58:28 PM  Show Profile
My fav was the homemade jellies and soaps and lotions Bonne made and sent me.

LIfe is a witch ~~~ and then ya fly !! My blogspot .http://tribalwitch.blogspot.com/ and my barter blog is at www.bartertribalwitch.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4179 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4179 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2008 :  04:05:46 AM  Show Profile
Made my list, yesterday at work, of good ideas. Thanks for all the great ideas from everyone. I am very excited to get working on Christmas presents. We have done homemade presents alot, but coming up with new ideas is hard. Especially for men.
Again thanks to everyone.

Michele
Go to Top of Page

prairielandherbs
True Blue Farmgirl

690 Posts

Maggie
Iowa
USA
690 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2008 :  10:20:20 AM  Show Profile
This is NOT my idea, I saw it on another forum, but I thought it was real cute. I get bulk spices very inexpeinsively from ameriherb.com (Just call them to order, their website is horrible but their prices are great)

Spice Bags for Warm Winter Drinks
8 sticks cinnamon, broken into small pieces
2 whole nutmegs, crushed
1/3 cup whole cloves
1/3 cup minced dried orange peel (or 1/4 cup ground)
1/4 cup whole allspice berries

Combine all the ingredients in a bowl. Tie in sachets of 1 tablespoon each in a double thickness of cheesecloth; transfer to an airtight container. One sachet of the mixture will flavor 1 quart of cider, tea or wine.

To use, simmer 1 quart of the chosen beverage with 1 sachet for 20 minutes; ladle into mugs. If desired, add a garnish like a cinnamon stick, orange/lemon or apple slice, etc.
Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2008 :  12:22:07 PM  Show Profile
Oh...this is great you gals! I am having to really budget this year and trying to make everything homemade too. My daughter and I always exchange homemade things and last year she made me a beautiful knited scarf. This year I have to finish a baby afghan for my new little grandson and then my son called last night and they are expecting again! I better get busy! I am also making a stepstool that I bought for $3.00 and hooking a wool cover for it with my other grandson's name on it. I already made peach jam and garlic dill pickles this fall and of course I will make chex mix and cookies too. I like the idea of decoupaged boxes and the "rub" recipes are very much appreciated for the guys! My sons love the pickles and the chex mix every year and I've made them all scarves in the past so I could really use some ideas for the guys. They're not campers or I would make that sleeping bag liner from fleece....that's a great idea! I think I will start making those "family" baskets for the parents and then homemade things for the grandchildren. I just can't afford to buy for all of them...they keep propagating like rabbits! What did I start? LOL! Anymore ideas for the guys? Thanks a bunch for all these wonderful ideas! Oh, I make the spiced tea with the orange drink mix too...that's an old one! Years ago I made little magnets from a bottle cap and a pop top to look like a frying pan. I glued the pop top to the bottle cap, painted them black, put some white in the middle inside of the bottle cap and then some yellow inside the white and a magnet on the back...they looked like a black frying pan with an egg in it. They were cute! I've made afghans too, crocheted, but it's a little late to start that now plus those cost a lot in yarn. I have a friend who makes candle wraps from felted wool with a matching pad to sit on and then you get one of those big candles at the dollar store and there ya go! I'll have to see if I can get the patterns from her or find some on the web. I'll write more when I get more ideas or remember past gifts I have made.

Sam in AR..... "It's a great life if you don't weaken!"
Farmgirl Sister #226

www.farmgirlsam.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Bonne
True Blue Farmgirl

3003 Posts

Bonne
Littleton CO
USA
3003 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2008 :  2:29:36 PM  Show Profile
My neighbor who comes from a large Kansas farm family says when they get together during the holidays, rather than buying gifts for each other and the countless grandkids , each family brings an assortment of handmade goodies to put in the "pot", and they play BINGO. Winners get to choose a gift from the Pot. She spends spare time during the year knitting caps and dishcloths for the BINGO pot, and usually picks up some homemade soap from me to bring for that.

Thanks for the homemade caramelcorn recipe Mothergoose! that sounds yummy

http://bonne1313.blogspot.com/ BLOG

Edited by - Bonne on Nov 11 2008 2:30:25 PM
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2008 :  9:19:02 PM  Show Profile
We have a big family too. We started a new Christmas Eve tradition a few years ago for the adults that everybody loves. Everybody brings 1 generic gift--about $20 value. After all the kiddies do their thing and Santa comes, it's the adults turn. We all get into a big circle and one person reads the Wright family story. It's kind of cute if you've never heard of it. In the story every time the words right, left or across are read that's how you pass the gifts. It's hysterical! Especially across. When the story is over the gift you have is yours.

Go to Top of Page

mothergoose
True Blue Farmgirl

56 Posts

Richere
tiverton rhodeiland
USA
56 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2008 :  05:25:46 AM  Show Profile
Hello once again.Gifts for boys.These are some that has worked over the years.Every year we gave our our oldest son a set of leggos for his birthday.I took a large sheet ,made a channel along each side and slid a "pool noodle" into each channel.The leggos stayed on the sheet.Great for me + the kids.The sheet could be painted with roads (the kids could even help with markers).When they were older my husband took a sheet of plywood ,cut off the corners,added 2" molding and we painted it.Leggos never fell off the table.We put it on metal saw horses.The other 2 boys got fishing stuff.A fishing apron, a fishing fanny pack,modified to fit small adjustible plastic fishing or craft boxes.The boys loved them ,had their gear at hand .Personal gardening apron.Also each year each had his own jar of pickles.Husband:1 year I painted a small dorm fridge with craft sponge painting + stencils for him to put his food + drinks in .That way he got to enjoy special fruits+ organic soft drinks or juice when he got home.They were not all gone.No one ever noticed the fridge and it was in plain sight.I covered boxes measured to fit the shelves in his office.I organized his shed for him.I customised jars + cans with lids to store screws ect.Marked what was inside each.Sew a caddy that fits in white paint bucket for tools , art ,knitting ,BBQ tools ect. Give someone their own cherry tomato plant ect,Paint their name on pot.Have Fun!!!
Go to Top of Page

crafter
True Blue Farmgirl

2313 Posts

lori
Fort Atkinson Wisconsin
USA
2313 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2008 :  09:50:48 AM  Show Profile
I try to make Christmas gifts each year for family and co-workers. Some of the past years it was Chocolate Chip Cheescakes, wine bags that I made with a bottle of wine, and this year is the best(and easiest) apron and Christmas cookie book! So many projects so little time!!

Have a Country Day
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2008 :  10:48:50 AM  Show Profile
Great to see this thread back around.

Thought I would share a couple of the items I have completed for gifts. I sewed some large shopping bags out of natural colored cotton canvas, then sewed on three felt sheep all natural colored (came from my sheep) and today I will embellish with hand stitching on the top "The BAA's Full"

I have taken some recycled wool jackets and cut out circles for the body of sheep and then made some cute heads, filled them with lavendar that was grown here on the farm. I now have a flock of "Lavendar Lambs"

I have also completed my seed savor journals - which I have sold for a couple of years now but never had any left to give to family and friends so I made a ton and might even place them on my Etsy Site.

I hand stamped cards, note pads and stationary for the writers in the family.

I still have not gotten the aprons done but hoping for this weekend.

So, tell me more of what you are all doing - I still have a good 10 days to whip up some more goodies.....

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2008 :  1:38:28 PM  Show Profile
These all sound SO wonderful and thoughtful!
I love hand/home made gifts. I guess all these would be my favorite, since I don't get gifts anymore, lol.

When my mom was alive we bought presents because mom could not use her hands to make things anymore. But when I was growing up she used to knit me beautiful sweaters etc. for Sinterklaas (Dec.5). And she also made my dresses and skirts herself.
I have many pictures of me wearing them and I remember I always got compliments from the other kids and the teachers :)

Would LOVE to receive a hand made gift, but alas. SO I will make something for myself I guess :)
OH I DID!! I made the stockings yay!!

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

My personal blog:
http://just-me-a-dutch-girl.blogspot.com/

Again new creations added, too cute lol. Come and check it out!!
http://princess-of-pink-creations.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4179 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4179 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2008 :  04:21:55 AM  Show Profile
How is everyone coming on their gift list? Mine is slowly getting done. Got a fleece blanket left to tie, a sign to make, a barb wire Christmas tree to make, I hope to mix up some meat rubs, and then wrap??? Oh ya and make that Christmas card, I do have envelopes addressed, so that will be quick! I hope to be done this coming week, so I can sit back and enjoy??????

Good luck to all
Michele
Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2008 :  12:19:17 PM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
michelle, a barbed wire chirstmas tree? is that to pur in the pasture for the cows to enjoy?? lol
peace connie in alaska
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic What is your favorite handmade gift? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page