Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 Advice for Choosing a Greenhouse
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Advice for Choosing a Greenhouse Next Topic  

EnchantedWoodsGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

959 Posts

Kathy
New Jersey
USA
959 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2008 :  06:19:42 AM  Show Profile
We have been toying with the idea of getting a medium sized greenhouse to begin our journey into the world of selling herbs and plants - we are both very good with them. Can you offer any suggestions on what we should put up - a premade kit, a mail order kit - I am new at this and really could use some advice, so I am all ears. If you have found a supplier and are happy with your purchase I would be greatful to hear about it. Any information will be greatly appreciated.
Kathy of the Enchanted Wood

Farmgirl Sister #59
http://enchantedwoodmusings.blogspot.com/

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2008 :  06:41:21 AM  Show Profile
Kathy, I have a catalog from FarmTek that has lots of greenhouses and supplies. www.FarmTek.com I have not ordered from them but wish I had. I bought my little greenhouse kit from harbor freight. It is a piece of junk. We are in the process of caulking all the panels to the frame hoping that they will not blow off again. Good luck!
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2008 :  07:39:56 AM  Show Profile
Belle,

we have a greenhouse from growers supply. We did not calk the panels in and ours blew out also. Once we caulked them in they have withstood really strong winds. I really like our greenhouse even though its small. But the trick is to caulk them in for sure. We have polycarbonate panels. I think once you do that it should be good.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

JudyBlueEyes
True Blue Farmgirl

657 Posts

Judith
Spokane Washington
USA
657 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2008 :  10:31:25 AM  Show Profile
You could also check out the instructions in Mary Janes magazine, either last one or one before that with instructions. I went to the workshop that Sunny taught and it is easy and inexpensive and you can make it any size. The class was for an 8'x8' greenhouse and materials were about $150. Good luck!

We come from the earth, we go back to the earth, and in between, we garden!
Go to Top of Page

Lanna
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lanna
A little town in Idaho
330 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2008 :  10:43:46 PM  Show Profile
Which issue was this in? I've been telling hubby I want a greenhouse for either Christmas or my birthday this year... Right now our only "plan" is for him to build it after hitting Home Depot with the pickup and finding something clear-ish for the sides to go over the bracing/studs/whatever you want to call it.

Lanna, mama to three little monkeys
Go to Top of Page

homemom
True Blue Farmgirl

1593 Posts

Ruth
Warwick RI
USA
1593 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2008 :  08:16:44 AM  Show Profile
I believe it was in the July/August issue. We built one. It wasn't difficult at all.
Ruth

Living the farm life in my heart.
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/Ruth
http://farmgirlinmyheart.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Forrester Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

703 Posts

Ann
Belmont MI
USA
703 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2009 :  08:03:28 AM  Show Profile
I just saw a variety of greenhouses while looking for arbors online with Sams Club! I had no idea that they offered greenhouses. There were some nice designs and options.

Ann
Forrester Farm
www.forresterfarm.com
www.forresterfarm.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Lanna
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lanna
A little town in Idaho
330 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2009 :  2:17:05 PM  Show Profile
Costco has 'em, too. One catalog I like drooling over is the one from Charlie's Greenhouse. Ah, to dream. But we don't have piles of money laying around, so hubby gets to fashion one himself.

Lanna, mama to three little monkeys
Go to Top of Page

EnchantedWoodsGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

959 Posts

Kathy
New Jersey
USA
959 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2009 :  5:44:23 PM  Show Profile
I believe a catalog called Garden Tek offers financing with great terms on a variety of greenhouses - and they can be bought as greenhouses or greenhouse kits. I may see if I can set up an account with them.

Farmgirl Sister #59
http://enchantedwoodmusings.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Advice for Choosing a Greenhouse Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page