nampafarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

494 Posts

Kim
Nampa ID
USA
494 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2008 :  12:23:40 PM  Show Profile
OK, so you all know I just got these two kittens, Lynx and Oscar, and that I have never had a cat or kitten before, so I have another question. The kittens are pooing near my back door. At first I didnt notice a smell, but now I am. I want to direct them to poo elsewhere, but what should I do to make them go someplace else? Or am I doomed to kitty poo scooping? They are barn cats, outdoors only.

Kim
Farmgirl Sister # 302

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2008 :  12:41:43 PM  Show Profile
Can you give them a litter box somewhere under cover outside? I found that my outdoor cat would poo anywhere there was loose dirt -- so he could cover up the little deed. I did use stakes and made teepee shapes in the garden whenever I'd cultivated -- to keep him away from the loose dirt. That really worked. And we put a litter box in the (detatched) garage and he'd use that faithfully. I'd rather do a little scooping than have the kitties poo wherever they can find to do it.

Bless you for adopting these kitties!

www.youaretoocreative.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

5 acre Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1007 Posts

~~~*Terri*~~~
WA.
USA
1007 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2008 :  2:48:24 PM  Show Profile
No...so far, I have found that cats hate the smell of vinegar, mix
1/4 cup or what strength you like, to a spray bottle of water and douse the area well, you will smell it for a while, but, the cats will smell it forever and will not do their business there...At least, this is my experience....

Farmgirl Sister #368
http://froccsfrillsfurbiloesandmore.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4241 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4241 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2008 :  04:07:35 AM  Show Profile
Cats hate the smell of vinegar?? No wonder my cat wants to be outside. I clean with vineger.

Michele
Go to Top of Page

nampafarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

494 Posts

Kim
Nampa ID
USA
494 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2008 :  12:28:39 PM  Show Profile
i love the vinegar. I will try it and let yu know about my kitties.

Kim
Farmgirl Sister # 302
Go to Top of Page

yasmine
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

yasmine
wappingers falls ny
USA
173 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2008 :  12:18:49 PM  Show Profile
Hi There,
We recently got a kitten he is orange(tabby), he came NOT potty trained.... We taught him by....: Getting a litter box and taking it outside and then sat him in the litter box and we took his paws and made them dig. I do not know if you guys all understand me but some of you may get it!!!
Your best suggestion would be to have a litter box outside for him otherwise you could some how try to train them to go poo outside which I do not no how!!!....
Anyway Hope This Helps!!!
Good Luck

Justice and Yasmine
Go to Top of Page

ranchmama
True Blue Farmgirl

360 Posts

Elise
Rosebud MT
USA
360 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2008 :  6:42:04 PM  Show Profile
Ohh I will try the vinegar! We put some big rocks around the house fondation to keep the dirt from eroding away and that is right where the kittens go.. I have 4 :( Not a nice smell! lol

I got some cayne pepper and sprinkled around. I haven't noticed them going there anymore, but we've had snow and rain so it may have been washed away. If I catch them at it again, I'm getting the vinegar!

Every Child Deserves Our Love &
A Bear of Their Own
http://ATeddyForKeeps.org

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ranchmama/
Go to Top of Page

Farmtopia
True Blue Farmgirl

1465 Posts

Zan
New York New York
USA
1465 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2008 :  6:25:22 PM  Show Profile
There is another little trick we used to advise the clients on where we worked--where you WANT them to go, try adding catnip there...it will attract the kitties...so it's sort of a "reinforcement" for that sort of thing

~*~Dream all you dreamers~*~

View my work:
www.bigtownfarmer.com
www.pumpkinpatchparlor.etsy.com

And Blogs:
agriculture: www.bigtownfarmer.blogspot.com
art: www.queenofcrows.blogspot.com
animals: www.big-luv.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

nampafarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

494 Posts

Kim
Nampa ID
USA
494 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2008 :  12:05:14 PM  Show Profile
I am going ot try the catnip advise and the viengar advise. Both are great ideas and they make sense. so, where do I buy catnip? I know I have seen the word but havent a clue what it actually is.

Kim
Farmgirl Sister # 302
Go to Top of Page

NatureNymph
True Blue Farmgirl

73 Posts

Tracy
Barrie Ontario
Canada
73 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2008 :  4:29:10 PM  Show Profile
Catnip can be found in most stores in the pet section. You'll want the bags of dried cat nip (looks like herbs). You don't need too much at one time.

If they are always outdoors you may want to consider planting some cat nip or cat mint in the spring. Designate a small area away from the house and make like a little garden nook for them. Both plants are fairly self sufficient so once you plant (and they are established) you can leave them alone and they will grow.

A year ago I accidently bought some cat mint (has a nice purple flower) and could not figure out why my cat loved that one part of the garden and then I read the plant stick more closely.

I have never heard of a cat not being litter trained before...most young kittens learn from their mothers as soon as their eyes open. But I guess if they are seperated too early or if mom is not interested (which happens in nature) then it's possible.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes,
Tracy

"Everybody likes to go their own way--to choose their own time and manner of devotion." Jane Austen, Mansfield Park

http://simplicitysampler.blogspot.com/

http://blessewefarm.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic kitten poo Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page