yarncrazy102
Farmgirl in Training

13 Posts

Diane
Lewiston ID
USA
13 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2008 :  08:25:24 AM  Show Profile
AAHHH . . . the wonders of autumn. . . . leaves glowing in brilliant color, gourds, crisp air nibbling your cheeks, warm sunshine that defies cold, sweaters and sweatshirts, the smell of someone's wood fireplace burning in the distance, dank days of metal gray, and . . . . pumpkins. I am a child of autumn. My birthday is in October. I relish autumn and all her beauty. But, pumpkins? I go ballistics when I see people ("he/she who must not be named" types) mutilate pumpkins and squashes for decoration. I send somewhat nasty emails and snail mails to magazines when autumn issues come out because of this. I just cannot uphold food mutilation when so many people world-wide go hungry. I just can't see cutting a hole in a perfectly good edible apple and sticking a tealight into it to create a "mood". Apples are food. Pumpkins are food. Good food. I realize the fake pumpkins and apples and other fruits and veggies smell horrible and are probably very unhealthy for our earth and all, but to cut up food for decoration?? The only magazine to respond somewhat favorably to my fury was a supermarket mag! Not a word from any of the "Living" entities. Am I crazy? I've not cut a jack-o-lantern in over 15 years. Am I wrong to think pumpkins, apples, etc. should remain food and not decorations?

From Cleveland to Idaho - what a ride!

JudyBlueEyes
True Blue Farmgirl

657 Posts

Judith
Spokane Washington
USA
657 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2008 :  09:46:36 AM  Show Profile
Hi, Diane, I am so with you on this issue. I just hate when I see a green, red, yellow bell pepper cut open and used for a bowl for dips on a vege tray...or a red cabbage, or the like. And all the lettuce that gets thrown out after being used as a liner for a vege tray or whatever. All in the name of beauty. So rant on, girlfriend, you've got at least one supporter!

We come from the earth, we go back to the earth, and in between, we garden!
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2008 :  09:56:23 AM  Show Profile
We grew a ton of pumpkins last year and happy to say our elephants at the zoo were sufficiently enriched for a few days anyway.

One young one needed a little extra fiber for a bit of colic so we were happy to have contributed.

With the high food prices I'd MUCH rather eat a pepper rather than decorate. phooey!

Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2008 :  11:05:13 AM  Show Profile
You know, I never gave it much thought, but since I've started growing my own pumpkins (meant for pie and such) I just can't cut them up and stick a candle in them anymore because I fully intend to process them for the freezer after Halloween. I've never seen a pepper used for decoration before but I have seen apples sliced up, seasoned with cinnamon and strung up like a garland. However, I've never used this idea simply because I can't stand to "throw away" food. I've seen nice bread bowls used to serve dip but then the bowl is eaten when it's empty, so I never had a problem with that one.

I know a lot of pumpkin varieties are grown just for jack-o-lanterns and their meat is very fibrous and not all that good for eating. But I just can't cut up and throw away my pie pumpkins.

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog: http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/
My Website:
http://www.freewebs.com/lisamariesbasketry/index.htm
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2008 :  11:36:03 AM  Show Profile
I see your point but the turth of the matter is that most of the pumpkins sold at the stores and farmstands this time of year will get put in a dumpster if not sold and will not be given to a needy family. Most of the jack-o-lanter style pumpkins are really not good for eating anyway - they are considered "ornamental". I love carving pumpkins and we try really hard not to waste in my family so I really don't feel guilty. we roast the pumpkin seeds and the "goop" goes to the chickens. After halloween the pumpkin goes in the compost.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2008 :  2:35:23 PM  Show Profile
Our own carved pumpkins get carved just the night before Halloween and then fed to our cow..(she LOVES pumpkins) afterwards while still quite fresh. We roast the seeds too. Each kid gets to do one pumpkin..and the rest I keep whole and cook afterwards.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Pumpkin Waste?? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page