Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Parenting & Farm Kids
 Yes, another homeschooling question...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Yes, another homeschooling question... Next Topic  

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2008 :  1:12:29 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
I am POSSIBLY looking into homeschooling Charlie in a few years. How do I even get started? What do I need to look for? Do I need to have a degree? I am VERY clueless. Thanks.

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!

FARMGIRL #90

DeepsouthMamma
True Blue Farmgirl

1454 Posts

Autumn
Southwest Louisiana
USA
1454 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2008 :  1:17:28 PM  Show Profile
All ya need is a good dose of FARMGIRL CAN-DO ATTITUDE and a good sense of humor!!! I should know this is the countdown for me- only 2 yrs and I'm done!!!!! 26 yrs down and 2 to go!!!!

Blessings,
Autumn
Farmgirl #49
http://simplytoday-autumn.blogspot.com/

Isaiah 40:31
But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2008 :  1:30:56 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Ok..that will work!!!HA!!! : )

Could you point me in the direction of what your typical day was like, products you used, etc...thanks!!! : )

Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

MissDana
True Blue Farmgirl

348 Posts

Dana
Carrollton Georgia
USA
348 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2008 :  2:20:04 PM  Show Profile
Hey Heather! If you go to the Family Matters section there is a thread going on home schooling. Some of us have home schooled many years! We are on year 13 at our house! There are a lot of ways and products and the beautiful thing about home schooling is you can find and fine tune materials to match your child and the learning style that matches best! How old is Charlie? My guess you are already "home schooling" him! Our mantra is "you never stop learning".

Kudo's to you for considering this path!

Dana

Proud Farmgirl Sister # 267
www.schultztroupe.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2008 :  3:00:26 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
He is only 2 1/2 but he is already learning, like you said. Thanks!!! : )

Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2008 :  5:37:48 PM  Show Profile
Heather

When my kidlets were young... my attitude and prayer was to make all things a learning experience. Everything we do is educational in one way or another. I have a quote (one of many) on the wall in the kitchen..... I am not raising children, I am raising adults, slowly.

Homeschooling can be whatever you need it to be. My only profound piece of advice.... make sure it fits not only the childs needs, but your needs too. I have never been a sit at the table teacher. Thankfully this worked out just fine for my bunch of five.... and less than 2 years to go and I am done!

Farmgirl #208

What are you doing with your dash?
Go to Top of Page

MissDana
True Blue Farmgirl

348 Posts

Dana
Carrollton Georgia
USA
348 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2008 :  5:50:33 PM  Show Profile
Hey Ya'll, we have an official henhouse on the Sisterhood site called Hens at Home and it is just for us homeschooling farm girls. Check it out and think about joining!

Dana

Proud Farmgirl Sister # 267
www.schultztroupe.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2008 :  6:36:41 PM  Show Profile
People do all kinds of homeschooling, I'm for anything that helps the child best!

I started researching as soon as I found out I was pregnant. I've about settled on using Calvert.org

But, I know people use all different things, from Unschooling, to books you can buy on Amazon! And every one I know is coming out to be lovely adults!

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kmbrown
True Blue Farmgirl

459 Posts

Misty
Waynesboro Pennsylvania
USA
459 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2008 :  7:10:26 PM  Show Profile
I also have young ones but plan on homeschooling them. I am planning on using the Principle approach, or Noah Plan. It is a classical education which means we will definately not be unschoolers. There are so many methods and ways of doing it you just have to go with your heart and what your individual child is able to do at that time. Another well known way is the Charlotte Mason Method. I personally don't care for it but I think a lot of people use it and it works well for them.
I think you would have to look into your individual state laws to see what the requirements are. I know in PA I have to do a portfolio of my childrens work and have a proctor go over it or be under an umbrella group. I will opt for the umbrella group...the point of homeschooling is to get out of the state system so why answer to a state proctor? Anyway...keep looking...if your like me you'll find enough info to keep your mind boggled into the next century!!
Go to Top of Page

DeepsouthMamma
True Blue Farmgirl

1454 Posts

Autumn
Southwest Louisiana
USA
1454 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2008 :  9:09:40 PM  Show Profile
See- I knew there would be lots of good mama's to give ya a nudge in the right direction- just remember to keep your sense of humor!!!!
You'll need it for the long haul!!!

Blessings,
Autumn
Farmgirl #49
http://simplytoday-autumn.blogspot.com/

Isaiah 40:31
But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.
Go to Top of Page

soapmommy60543
True Blue Farmgirl

2197 Posts

Ann
Oswego IL
USA
2197 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2008 :  02:57:42 AM  Show Profile
Good morning, Heather! Another great resource would be HSLDA (Home School Legal Defense Association). SIGN UP WITH THEM!!! It's worth every penny! If there's ever a question or problem between you and your local schools, they will represent you. Also, their website has all the legal info/requirements for your state (and all the other ones, too, if you ever move).

As for us, we use a bunch of stuff from different places: Wordly Wise for vocabulary, Sequential Spelling, Latina Christiana from Memoria Press (we also use their Christian Studies program and have done their Greek Myths program), Italic handwriting, Saxon math, Strategies for Writers from Zaner Bloser. We've also used parts of the Accelerated Achievement program and Alpha Omega Civics. Oh, and we did the Christian Kids Explore! Series for science. I was greatly influenced by the Reggio-Amelia and Montessori methods and also the "Teach Your Baby to Read" book by Glenn Doman (he also did a book for Math and Encyclopedic Knowledge). All that said, you still have to figure out what works best for you.

And, don't wait to start educating Charlie. You'd be amazed at how early kids can learn what seem like big concepts. While I don't know his age, there's lots of hands-on stuff you can do for science (like cooking and everyone's favorite - baking soda and vinegar) and math, and of course READING everything you can get your hands on.

Blessings to you and your family!

Ann in Oswego

Times may be tough, but farmgirls are tougher!

Craft Fasting since October 21, 2008
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2008 :  06:09:12 AM  Show Profile
Heather - about.com has an excellent homeschooling section. The lady that moderates it has been homeschooling for 26 years. Lots and lots of info plus free lessons, lesson plans, etc. See if there is a homeschooling group in your area too. And Google homeschooling - you'll come up with so much information that it will blow your mind. Steph is 14 so we do online classes through the local school district. So far that's working great. It's nice that she's older and pretty does it on her own.

Handmade Soap and More! Try my new Lavender Oatmeal Facial Bar - http://therusticcottage.etsy.com
The Rustic Cottage Blog http://therusticcottage.blogspot.com

PROUD FARMGIRL SISTER #100
Go to Top of Page

Homespun Livin
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Brenda
Louisiana
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2008 :  8:03:02 PM  Show Profile
Congrats on considering this path Heather! You just happen to live in one of - if not THE most homeschool friendly states there is. HSLDA is a great help for sure. Right now, I would think just helping Charlies count things and sort things and read lots and lots to him is a great head start.

"Love one another."
Go to Top of Page
  Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Yes, another homeschooling question... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page