Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Unplugged! Next Topic  

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2008 :  07:05:25 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Sunday night, a group around here is asking everyone to UNPLUG for 3 hours, from 7 -10 at night. If you can't do your whole house, then just do the rooms you do not use alot or what you can. Remember things like night lights and those lights or appliances you never really use but leave plugged in. Shut down computers AND unplug, etc.

I am going to do this, anyone want to join???

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!

FARMGIRL #90

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2008 :  11:59:50 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I can't unplug or whole house- Doug wold be very upset without some form of electronic entertainment (Sigh...someday he will "get" it) and we use an electric space heater to heat Nora's room.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2008 :  12:19:05 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Alee- it's about doing what you can. : )

Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

JessieMae
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Jessie
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2008 :  11:38:12 AM  Show Profile
I'm going to give it a try tonight. Wish me luck!
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2008 :  3:05:08 PM  Show Profile
I could turn off everything for 3 hours but not those 3 hours. Sunday night is out must see TV night. Ole Ron has to watch PBR (he is an old bull rider) Then there is supper (electric stove) dishes and showers (electric water heater) We have pretty well scaled down about everywhere we can already. Every time we watch the news or pick up some more of Ole Ron's meds, we unplug something else. He is already using the electric blanket because I won't turn on the furnace. If the electricity goes off, we'll do what we have to do. Have a generator to keep the freezers and refrigerators running. Hope we don't have to see what that is like.
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2008 :  3:11:47 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Ladies, just do what you can. It is all appreciated and well worth it. Thanks!! : )

I understand the PBR thing Belle. ; )

Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

JessieMae
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Jessie
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2008 :  08:13:09 AM  Show Profile
Heather, did you do it? I did! I sat in the dark from 7:00 pm - 10:00 pm. Well, not totally dark - I had my camping lantern on. To pass the time, I wrote a letter to my grandmother, I wrote a thank-you letter to my parents for an anniversary gift they gave us, I finished half of a crossword puzzle in the newspaper, I read said newspaper, and I had my dinner (turkey sandwich and apple cider). I turned everything off in the house except for the refrigerator and my husband's computer (I shut the monitor off that, though) and the boiler, and I unplugged everything but the fridge, hubby's computer, stove, and washer and dryer.
Strange enough, the house was so spooky I REALLY was happy when I got to turn the lights back on. I guess I'm a big ol' chicken!
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2008 :  08:20:34 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Yes, I did, I unplugged everything at 8, except my alarm clock, fridge and computer. Then I unplugged the computer when I went to bed. I left everything unplugged all night. It was fun. I lit a camera and typed by the light of the candle.

Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Unplugged! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page