Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 I Know it's Early but...........(picture added!)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic I Know it's Early but...........(picture added!) Next Topic  

Back Home Again
True Blue Farmgirl

584 Posts

Audrey
Albuquerque New Mexico
USA
584 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2008 :  5:10:41 PM  Show Profile  Send Back Home Again an AOL message
....What's Everyone planning for Thanksgiving this year? Anyone going out of town? If your not going out of town, do you usually have Thanksgiving at your house or do you usually gather at another place for the Harvest Celebration?...... and, What's your favorite 'Dish' to make at your Home or to bring if you are heading out to Anothers?

Until Later,
New Mexico Audrey

~ Side by side or miles apart....dear friends are always close to the heart ~

Edited by - Back Home Again on Oct 16 2008 9:38:27 PM

Maryjane Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

2195 Posts

Maryjane
CA
USA
2195 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2008 :  5:21:31 PM  Show Profile
Hi Audrey! We are having all our children home for Thanksgiving! I am thrilled to pieces! Thanks for asking dear! Happy Fall!

Hugs,
Maryjane Lee

Farmgirl Sister #44

http://thebeehivecottage.blogspot.com

http://www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2008 :  5:49:20 PM  Show Profile
I am for sure cooking dinner here and hope to have my favorite cousin Shelley and her husband come from Arizona to be with us again. I WISH all my grown boys would be here but they all say they can't afford the trip right now. Maybe they are just teasing and will show up and surprize me, right??? Hmmmm...maybe.. they havn't done it before but there is always a first time.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2008 :  5:55:17 PM  Show Profile
Thanksgiving this year in our new home.. My two daughters and their families are all coming to Oregon. so 10 for dinner and both Daughters each asking to make "their favorite recipies passed down of their fraternal grandmother." We provide the turkey ordered it from the meat market last week..Both my daughters are fabulous cooks. Their grandmother was French/Italian. Great memories of family dinners.
I look forward to the Celebration! It will be my oldest daughter 40th birthday so a special birthday dinner will follow on Saturday with Birthday cake & pressies. Family traditions are hard to break.. as new ones also begin....

http://www.k-fallsfarmgirl.blogspot.com/

Cheryl #309
Farm girl sister

Keep life simple, to Simply live. Life is too short to worry about it.

Edited by - K-Falls Farmgirl on Oct 16 2008 6:04:18 PM
Go to Top of Page

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2008 :  6:36:51 PM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
Last year Thanksgiving ans Christmas were both at my house with my mom, sis and bil and sis's kids, dad, mammaw, pappaw and whoever else showed up. This year we are supposed to hold our celebrations at my sister's home. She's been trying to talk me into having it at my house. We'll see...

Melanie

http://wheelsarealwaysturning.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Back Home Again
True Blue Farmgirl

584 Posts

Audrey
Albuquerque New Mexico
USA
584 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2008 :  8:13:23 PM  Show Profile  Send Back Home Again an AOL message
....here's A Fun little Thanksgiving Poem I found!

T'WAS THE NIGHT of THANKSGIVING

T'was the night of Thanksgiving,
But I just couldn't sleep.
I tried counting backwards,
I tried counting sheep.
The leftovers beckoned,
The dark meat and white.
But I fought the temptation,
With all of my might.

Tossing and turning,
with anticipation.
The thought of a snack
became infatuation.
So I raced to the kitchen,
Flung open the door,
And gazed at the fridge,
Full of goodies galore.
I gobbled up turkey,
And buttered potatoes,
Pickles and carrots,
Beans and tomatoes.
I felt myself swelling,
So plump and so round.
'till all of a sudden,
I rose off the ground.
I crashed through the ceiling,
Floating into the sky,
With a mouthful of pudding,
And a handful of pie.
But I managed to yell
As I soared past the trees
Happy eating to all,
Pass the cranberries, please!!

May your stuffing be tasty
May your turkey be plump.
May your potatoes and gravy
Have nary a lump.
May your yams be delicious,
May your pies take the prize
And May your Thanksgiving dinner
Stay off of your thighs!

Until Later,
New Mexico Audrey

Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2008 :  8:33:22 PM  Show Profile
That is soooooooooooooooo Cute!

http://www.k-fallsfarmgirl.blogspot.com/

Cheryl #309
Farm girl sister

Enjoy the little things in life....someday you'll look back and realize they were the big things.
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2008 :  9:10:22 PM  Show Profile
My little Grandma wont' give up Thanksgiving, so I will go there. The whole fam-damily goes-Aunts, Uncles, Cousins and any "orphans" too.

I usually spend the day baking my "Killer" chocolate cake and watch "It's a Wonderful Life" after we watch the Macy's parade.

We don't have to be there until after four, so it allows everyone time to do any other family obligations and/or no one has to get up at o'dark hundred to cook and be exhausted for the day.

And my Grandma finally got smart and let my Mom do a lot more of the cooking. Mom is a WONDERFUL cook. Grandma, not so much-Turkey is the only thing she doesn't screw up. She burns EVERYTHING else.

I usually take care of the dishes after. I hate cooking, but don't mind cleaning at all.

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland
Go to Top of Page

Back Home Again
True Blue Farmgirl

584 Posts

Audrey
Albuquerque New Mexico
USA
584 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2008 :  9:35:25 PM  Show Profile  Send Back Home Again an AOL message
I found the cutest little book at Barnes & Noble the other day on folding cloth napkins! I really enjoy Creating a Wonderful table setting for Holiday Celebrations, but I always seem to fold my napkins the same way! So when I saw this book, "Simple, Elegant Napkins" by Avril O'Donnell, I sat and looked it over for some time and decided.........I HAD to BUY IT!!! Here is a picture of part of my table setting from last year (there were actually 10 of us but I can't find any other pictures that I took last year!).... and notice the table napkins.....they are in my very nice iron napkin rings.......the same way I always put my napkins, only I use different napkin rings. Click on the IMG below....couldn't get the photo to work on its own for some reason tonight (aargh!!!!) Oh and also, in the photo the Turkey skin looks a little burnt but it was actually just really nice and brown! Really!!!!

IMG]http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn35/Audgar_Photo/IMG_0001.jpg[/IMG]

This year I am going to try one of the interesting ideas in the sweet little book!!

Do any of you enjoy the creative part of setting your table?

Until Later,
New Mexico Audrey

Go to Top of Page

Back Home Again
True Blue Farmgirl

584 Posts

Audrey
Albuquerque New Mexico
USA
584 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2008 :  9:42:38 PM  Show Profile  Send Back Home Again an AOL message
MaryJane...How wonderful that All of your children will be with you this year!! What parts of the country are they coming from? Where is Murrieta, California? Is it Northern California?

Until Later,
New Mexico Audrey

Go to Top of Page

Back Home Again
True Blue Farmgirl

584 Posts

Audrey
Albuquerque New Mexico
USA
584 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2008 :  9:44:10 PM  Show Profile  Send Back Home Again an AOL message
Ohhhh Jenny! I do hope they will surprise you! Have you a suspicion that they just might this year?

Until Later,
New Mexico Audrey

Go to Top of Page

Back Home Again
True Blue Farmgirl

584 Posts

Audrey
Albuquerque New Mexico
USA
584 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2008 :  9:51:25 PM  Show Profile  Send Back Home Again an AOL message
Cheryl it is indeed Wonderful that you will be starting New Traditions in your New Home!! and probably bringing many of your Wonderful Old Traditions there as well I am sure. What are the Fav Recipes your daughters will be bringing? Please do Share!!! Glad you like the Fun Poem! Your tag line is so true, so true!!

Until Later,
New Mexico Audrey

Go to Top of Page

Back Home Again
True Blue Farmgirl

584 Posts

Audrey
Albuquerque New Mexico
USA
584 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2008 :  10:01:05 PM  Show Profile  Send Back Home Again an AOL message
It is so nice Melanie to be able to "Share" having the Holiday Celebrations. ........We don't really have much family here, so I tend to just 'Dive In' and throw myself into all the Fun of the Celebrations ...... I Really, Really enjoy Welcoming friends into my home!

Until Later,
New Mexico Audrey

Go to Top of Page

Back Home Again
True Blue Farmgirl

584 Posts

Audrey
Albuquerque New Mexico
USA
584 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2008 :  10:06:10 PM  Show Profile  Send Back Home Again an AOL message
Ohhhhh Kate!!!! I LOVE the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade! I actually have memories of when I was a little girl and I went with my parents when we lived in New York! It wouldn't be Thanksgiving here without watching as we cook!

Until Later,
New Mexico Audrey

Go to Top of Page

Back Home Again
True Blue Farmgirl

584 Posts

Audrey
Albuquerque New Mexico
USA
584 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2008 :  10:09:11 PM  Show Profile  Send Back Home Again an AOL message
and Kate....'Killer' Chocolate Cake!!! Is it a secret recipe or would ya like to share it??

Until Later,
New Mexico Audrey

Go to Top of Page

Back Home Again
True Blue Farmgirl

584 Posts

Audrey
Albuquerque New Mexico
USA
584 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2008 :  10:44:42 PM  Show Profile  Send Back Home Again an AOL message
Centerpieces for the table .... another topic to add. I wish I could find a few more pictures from my table setting last year...I'm gonna do another look around to see if I can find some (I really do need to plan some time to get photos in Scrapbooks!). My favorite thing for Thanksgiving is to make an edible (don't think that is really a word! Ha!)Centerpiece. You know, one that you can actually EAT!!! Last year, for the edible part, I used a Horn of Plenty Basket stuffed with a little natural excelsior and then I layed LOTS of assorted nuts in their shells on top of the excelsior, flowing out of the Horn. Next to the Horn of Plenty with the nuts, I put a high wooden holder with nutcrackers so everyone could eat the nuts! It was a fun centerpiece that everyone enjoyed nibbling on as they waited for the next course of the meal!

What kinds of centerpieces do you do for Thanksgiving? I remember lots of fun things I used to make with my son when he was little. One year we had very cute turkey holders for placecards that he and I made together and one year I remember we made cut out leaves that he layed on each plate with names for each person that was coming. Memories, Memories! Isn't that what Holidays and Holiday Traditions are all about?

Until Later,
New Mexico Audrey

Go to Top of Page

Maryjane Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

2195 Posts

Maryjane
CA
USA
2195 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2008 :  11:49:07 PM  Show Profile
Hi Audrey! Murrieta, CA is in So. CA. I live just 10 minutes from the San Diego countyline. I have 3 children that live in CA and 1 in Oregon. I have 11 grandchildren also! A houseful for sure and the Thanksgiving table will stretch into the Living Room! Can't wait! Enjoy your time with family also!!!

Hugs,
Maryjane Lee

Farmgirl Sister #44

http://thebeehivecottage.blogspot.com

http://www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2008 :  07:10:58 AM  Show Profile
I LOVE Thanksgiving! It is my favorite holiday! I have already started planning my menu. I have even purchased a few things from the store. I roasted pumpkins and froze pumpkin puree to use for pie and cheesecake. I have ordered my turkey and everything.

We used to switch between my parents who live 15 hours away and my MIL who lives 15 feet away each year. It has gotten difficult to get to Virginia with such a short break so the past few years so we have stayed home. that suits me just fine because I LOVE to cook. I make a HUGE meal every year even if it is just me, my husband and my mother-in-law.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

Back Home Again
True Blue Farmgirl

584 Posts

Audrey
Albuquerque New Mexico
USA
584 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2008 :  09:38:22 AM  Show Profile  Send Back Home Again an AOL message
Julie... Over the years when we have had a quieter Thanksgivings with just me, my Husband and Son....... we made the Meal with ALL the Trimmings!!.......watched Macy's Parade as we cooked!!... and took the dogs on a Long Autumn walk! I Love those smaller Celebrations for Thanksgiving too!

Until Later,
New Mexico Audrey

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2008 :  10:42:22 AM  Show Profile
This is my absolute favorite holiday. It's been at my house the past 3 years. Since I have milk goats, it's hard to get away. So my parents decided we'd just have it here. I love it that way.

So this year my daughter's new husband's family is going to try to all come up here. That would be 8 people. My parents, my sister and her 3 girls and 1 boyfriend, plus my 2 girls, their husband-boyfriend, 3 granddaughters. So I think thats about 22 people unless more show up.

This past vacation my hubby and I made our Walton's style table. It's 8'x 4'. Seats 10-12 people and we have had it filled up before. Very handy.

I hope everyone has a great time with family and friends gathered around their tables this year.

Kris
Go to Top of Page

julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2008 :  11:57:05 AM  Show Profile
I have no idea what we're doing for the Holiday this year but I have to tell it is also one of my favorites. Part of me is so tempted to examine everything 'traditional' about this Holiday and throw it out the window. I know, it sounds almost blasphemous but hear me out. Trust me, I love the traditions; turkey, trimmings, pies, family and friends and thanks.....I love it just like most people.

When Aria got sick, life took on a very different perspective in a matter of moments and that perspective has since solidified the fundamentals of how I want to live life and that is back to basics in many respects. So, I've been reading about the Pilgrims, the Mayflower, and a smattering of early colonial American Living. This is also appealing to my New England roots where I grew up. I just read a letter written by Captain John Smith (yes, the pocahontas guy) about his view of Jamestown and the Native Americans he saw including Powatan Pocahontas's father. It is incredible stuff.

So it makes me think about how the Native Americans taught these early settlers about corn, squash, nuts, berries and wild game that helped them survive. It makes me think about the fundamental things for which I am truly thankful. By far, the top of the list has to be the many many goodnesses bestowed upon my family in a great time of need. People from all over the place opened their hearts so widely and unconditionally to me and to my family that I have been forever changed.

The goodness of people regardless of race, religion or creed is so vast and so profound. That is the focus of my Holiday this year. If I get to cooking something, I'm sure it will be good too but it is the gathering of people and the reaching out that is most important to me this year. ~julia hayes

being simple to simply be
Farmgirl #30
www.julia42.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Back Home Again
True Blue Farmgirl

584 Posts

Audrey
Albuquerque New Mexico
USA
584 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2008 :  7:04:34 PM  Show Profile  Send Back Home Again an AOL message
Kristin how lovely that your entire family will be together! Indeed you do have much to be Thankful for! and how Wonderful that you created a table just right for all of you!

Until Later,
New Mexico Audrey

Go to Top of Page

Back Home Again
True Blue Farmgirl

584 Posts

Audrey
Albuquerque New Mexico
USA
584 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2008 :  7:37:13 PM  Show Profile  Send Back Home Again an AOL message
Julia....Thanksgiving to me is truly a time to reflect on all of the things I am Thankful for. The gifts of life, love and joy and More! ....and hopefully we will all take a little time to share especially with 'our' young children the story of Thanksgiving....the story of the Pilgrims, the difficult life they suffered in America, their friendships with the Wampanoag people and how a day was set aside to be Thankful for all of their Blessings.

Thanksgiving certainly should be a time (I believe) to integrate the thought that the Harvest Celebration is more than a one day event. It should be a basic life attitude. I also Do So believe in the importance of letting our children know we are so very thankful for them. It is my belief that expressing to children your loving feelings for them is the most important legacy you can bestow upon them.

So Whether we cook and eat a big meal or just take the time to sit quietly and consider all the Things we have to be Thankful for....I believe Thanksgiving is a Very Special time of year. Julia....it sounds like you and Aria will have a loving Thanksgiving together whatever you decide to do.

Until Later,
New Mexico Audrey

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2008 :  7:58:31 PM  Show Profile
audrey .. we usually go to toledo, ohio .. frankie's family always have a big family gathering .. can hardly wait!

gramma emma always sets a beautiful table! this will be a wonderful day of THANKS .. cuz' i'll be all mended .. and we will spend time with those precious little grandes! xo

not sure yet what dish i'll make. might try that HARVEST STEW!!! xo

True Friends * KENTUCKY FRANNIE

adopt a 'rag-chile'
http://sistermercysfoundlinhome.blogspot.com

treasures .. new and olde .. http://mudpiemanormercantile.blogspot.com

Edited by - CabinCreek-Kentucky on Oct 18 2008 7:59:52 PM
Go to Top of Page

Back Home Again
True Blue Farmgirl

584 Posts

Audrey
Albuquerque New Mexico
USA
584 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2008 :  9:51:09 PM  Show Profile  Send Back Home Again an AOL message
Frannie....I bought the ingredients today to make the Harvest Stew! Couldn't be there for the FUN!!....but will have a little of the wonderful "experience" all of you shared when I eat the Delicious stew! I know you will have a Glorious time with Wendy, Frankie and the GRANDES at Thanksgiving!!!

Until Later,
New Mexico Audrey

Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic I Know it's Early but...........(picture added!) Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page