Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Fabulous Farm Collectibles
 *Farmgirl Barter™
 I'm looking for a set of silver....
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author *Farmgirl Barter™: Previous Topic I'm looking for a set of silver.... Next Topic  

julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2008 :  12:14:30 PM  Show Profile
flatware...nothing real fancy..actually something that I could use every single day. Yep, I don't want to be saving the good stuff for fancy occasions.. I want to surround myself with the good stuff! Brenda, do you have anything like this in your stash of stuff?? Let me know farmgirls! ~julia

being simple to simply be
Farmgirl #30
www.julia42.etsy.com

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2008 :  2:26:32 PM  Show Profile
Are you looking to barter or purchase? I have a set by 1847 Rogers in the 'Argosy' pattern -- was going to list it on Ebay, but if you're interested in purchasing, maybe we could talk. Here's a listing that shows the pattern pretty well (it's not my listing): http://cgi.ebay.com/ARGOSY-1847-ROGERS-SILVERPLATE-TEASPOON-3027_W0QQitemZ290170217512QQihZ019QQcategoryZ20101QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247

Let me know if you're interested and I'll give you a count of the flatware I have.

Thanks!

www.youaretoocreative.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2008 :  7:20:57 PM  Show Profile
I collected a set of sterling piece by piece, which made it easier on the pocketbook and was fun to look for at antique sales.....and eventually I gathered a complete set of eight with serving pieces. I gave it to my daughter for her wedding. I had such fun collecting it one piece at a time......and if I did it again, I would collect various patterns for an eclectic look. Perhaps, if you do not find a set you like you could try doing it this way, as it is a lot of fun!

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2008 :  8:36:26 PM  Show Profile
Funny note about the 1847 Rogers-I saw two teaspoons in the case of a thrift shop with $5 on each...asked what made it special enough to be priced that high. Their silverplate is usually a quarter. Someone doing the pricing saw the 1847 and thought it was the date of manufacture. I wonder if some silly person actually paid that.
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2008 :  8:57:08 PM  Show Profile
Shirley -- It's amazing that you collected STERLING piece by piece -- these days, the price of silver is so high, sometimes the silver is worth more melted down than it is as a spoon or whatever! I love the glow of sterling. So beautiful.

*****Julia -- if anyone has a set to barter with you, go ahead. I may find a consignment shop locally to sell this set, or may sell in groupings on Ebay.

Ronna -- It's a common 'beginner's' mistake to look at 1847 Rogers and think it's the date! Funny, too, because silverplate is not dated and sterling can be dated by its hallmark but would usually not have a numerical date on it. I just did research on some old pieces from Scotland and from London -- great fun to find out just how old the pieces were. It's like the History Detectives!

Go to Top of Page

82kygal
True Blue Farmgirl

548 Posts

Laura
Somerset Kentucky
USA
548 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2008 :  05:38:58 AM  Show Profile
Ok gals funny this topic came up I have just started looking myself. I can't decide to store purchase or go with the antique idea. Like Julia I would just want it for everyday use. Now then I know nothing about it and did see the 1847 what does that mean?
Thanks for the info

With God, all things are possible. (Mark 10:27)
What ever you are, be a good one. (Abe Lincoln)
Go to Top of Page

palmettogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

571 Posts

sue
camden south carolina
USA
571 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2008 :  06:04:57 AM  Show Profile
yes, what does the 1847 mean? usually silver-plate is a whole lot less than the sterling silver, but i don't know how much (%) less??? i'd like to know a little more about it. by the way, i like that Argosy pattern, it's pretty/delicate. if julia isn't interested, i might be....
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2008 :  06:13:14 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Isn't sterling almost pure silver while silver plate is a silver coating on top of another metal. That's way sterling is so much more.
I love silver. I've been collecting it piece by piece also. Mine is silverplate tho, I really haven't seen any sterling. People are so much more savvy about things like that anymore, it's hard to find that "steal" of a good buy.
I don't even care that I have to polish it, it is part of my autumnal traditions, polishing the silver for the upcoming holidays. But then, I like cloth napkins and tablecloths too, :^)

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
MJ's Heirloom Mavens Badgebadger
MJ's Heirloom Mavens Bookclub Coordinator
"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2008 :  06:53:37 AM  Show Profile
I would so be one of those people seeing the 1847 and think it was the date it was made! I am so completely uninformed in this kind of thing! Too funny! I would be so interested in what your price is before you put it in a consignment shop or e-bay. I love the idea of collecting it piece by piece Jeannie, that is so awesome! However, I can't seem to get to estate sales as often as I'd like with these 3 little ones. I'm definitely going to keep that in mind though!

cheers to you ~julia

being simple to simply be
Farmgirl #30
www.julia42.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2008 :  10:39:05 AM  Show Profile
Katie-ell - the name of the pattern is Buttercup, and some pieces I paid a lot for, others not so much. But it hurt less doing it a little at a time. But they were more than 5$ a piece, that is for sure. It is so beautiful though! And feels so good to hold. And if you use sterling daily, it hardly tarnishes at all.

At my home, I only have silverplate. But I think I am going to get it out and use it all the time. Julia - you are right - we need to enjoy our pretty things all the time.....

I bought a lot of mine from a dealer who was out of Pensacola, I think. I am going to see if I can find them, because they had an online business too with all sorts of patterns.

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13

Edited by - jpbluesky on Oct 17 2008 10:43:30 AM
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2008 :  11:03:04 AM  Show Profile
The Rogers Brothers company is a maker of silverplate. Here's a little blurb about 1847 Rogers, which is one of their lines:

"Rogers Brothers can trace its beginning to the 1820's. They were a manufacturer of silver plate flatware and hollowware. Their most popular line perhaps was the 1847 Rogers Bros. flatware. The name Rogers Bros. was first used in 1847. In 1898, they became part of the International Silver Company. 1847 Rogers Bros Silver Plate is still being produced today."

So when you see 1847 Rogers on flatware, that's the name of the line from Rogers Brothers company. Refers to the year they first used the name, not the year of manufacture.

Interesting, no?

Teresa -- you're right -- silverplate is just a thin coating of silver on a base metal. Sterling is a high-percent of silver (can't remember what just now).

********Julia -- I need to go through and make a list of all the pieces I have and to figure out a price. Will email you.

Jeannie -- I love sterling! There's a set of sterling teaspoons at the consignment shop right now and I am soooo tempted -- wouldn't it be lovely to use sterling spoons with my morning tea??

Yes, we all need to use the pretty things every day. . . . Let's do that!

Edited by - katie-ell on Oct 17 2008 11:05:10 AM
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2008 :  11:07:57 AM  Show Profile
Okay Julia and whoever else is interested. I have at least a dozen, probably more, boxes of silverplate, both sets and mismatched. Let me know how many place settings you want and I'll start sorting and taking photos of what I have. If you're going to use it for everyday and don't need a wood box, that's great. I mostly find the boxes empty and buy them for storage of the silver.
If you use it everyday, it will stay shiny unless something sulfuric, like egg, is left to dry on it. Don't mix silverplate with stainless in the dishwasher, they need to go in seperate sections. The closet in the sewing room has a stack about 4 ft high of silverware boxes, more under the guest bed and I'm sure more at the storage. Don't ask...sometimes those "good deals" just jump out at me. I didn't pay a lot, so won't ask a lot from farmgirls. Probably about $20-25 plus shipping for 8 place settings mismatched, maybe a bit more for sets, but will have to figure it out for sure. FedEx ground is fairly inexpensive for shipping and about a week to the east coast. Note I said shipping, not shipping and handling..I don't charge for packing supplies.
Ronna
Ronna
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2008 :  8:32:07 PM  Show Profile
Katie, thanks for the 1847 Rogers info. I knew it was just part of the company name, but didn't know the story.
My former MIL had a very complete set of sterling Grand Baroque, which is/was one of the priciest. Her mother had the same pattern in gold ware until she was robbed and beaten by some people who had done work at her house. The tea set was on the buffet and she probably at one time showed the gal the flatware. Came in with her druggie boyfriend and they took everything they could and hurt her badly. Went to prison, but she never got any of her stuff back. Sad when idiots will do that to a really nice 80 some year old lady who was so sweet. I loved that lady so much. Her daughter (the MIL) I tolerated, but loved grandma.
I have a little bit of sterling, not much. The Dr who delivered me (and also my son) was a family friend. His wife bought me a sterling teaspoon for each birthday until we left Reno when I was 7. Hmmm, maybe if I sell some of the silverplate, I could buy pieces to match that sterling and have a few place settings. Think I just put a plan into place that will do others and myself some good.
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2008 :  04:37:48 AM  Show Profile
*****Julia, I emailed you! Just giving you a heads up because sometimes my hotmail address gets sent to the junk file of some email accounts.

Ronna, do you use your sterling teaspoons? What a lovely gesture for the doctor's wife to do for you.

Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2008 :  11:06:14 AM  Show Profile
Katie,
The sterling spoons have never been used, but at 62, I think I need to get them out and use them for my tea. My kids won't know anything about them or even care. Dr and Mrs Bibb were wonderful people and very good friends of my parents. I wasn't able to have him deliver my daughter, but made it happen with my son. A long drive to where he was, 40-50 miles across Los Angeles County. Have a heartwarming letter he wrote me when my Dad died in '76. He died just a couple years ago, was around 90.
Go to Top of Page

kpaints
True Blue Farmgirl

1564 Posts

karen
cheney wa
1564 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2008 :  8:04:41 PM  Show Profile  Send kpaints an AOL message
Julia I emailed you when you first listed this post, probably went in your spam file. I have a whole set of sterling silver that I use to use for everyday. International Blossom Time. If you are interested let me know so I can figure out a price.

Find your joy and live it. http://cheneybaglady.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  *Farmgirl Barter™: Previous Topic I'm looking for a set of silver.... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page