Alpaca Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

59 Posts

Katy
Fairhope AL
USA
59 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2008 :  08:21:57 AM  Show Profile
Hi! I recently found this site and just joined!

I am new to the Farmgirl Connection, but have been raising/breeding alpacas on a farm for nine years now. I came to farming from a brief career as a psychologist. I had no farm background whatsoever when I started. Fortunately alpacas are pretty easy and the learning curve wasn't too steep. We now have over 40 alpacas on our farm and are running out of room. Suburbia has also caught up with us so we are going to move the farm. Oh my! That will be my big project for the next year or so. I have started a blog about the alpacas, our lifestyle, and farm business matters. I love hearing from other farmgirls. Can't wait to meet you!

Katy

Visit me at www.alpacafarmgirl.blogspot.com

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2008 :  08:56:55 AM  Show Profile
Hey Katy. Welcome! I had to look on the map to see where you are. It's near Mobile? You are way down there.

How'd you get started in Alpacas? Sounds like lots of work. Lots of shearing?

Enjoy the forum!

Kris
Go to Top of Page

Alpaca Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

59 Posts

Katy
Fairhope AL
USA
59 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2008 :  09:51:04 AM  Show Profile
Hi Kris,
Thanks for the warm welcome! We are close to Mobile, AL and Pensacola, FL. A little too close to the hurricanes. Our new farm is closer to you. It's between Dunlap and Soddy Daisy, TN. We are crazy about the Chattanooga area. It will be great when we get settled there. But that will be a LONG project, relocating.

How did we get started with alpacas? Well, my husband had always wanted to live in the country. That was fine with me. So I started looking for an animal for us to have as a pet that would be different from what we could have in the city. A friend recommended alpacas, and I had never heard of them. But I quickly learned and fell in love with them. They are cute AND profitable. So it went from being a backyard "pet" idea to being my full-time job. Having a herd of 15 alpacas and under is not much work at all. It's like having a few pets in the yard. Once we got over 20 it started to feel like "work". But more fun for me than working for someone else or having a desk job.

The alpacas have been great for our family. We have 4 kids who have grown up with the alpacas. They have learned numerous life lessons from the animals, and they even have shown them.

We only shear once a year. At this point we have neighboring alpaca farms bring their alpacas over for shearing day. We all get together and harvest the fleece. It's a great time of fellowship and reward. A professional shearer comes and does the shearing. It takes him around 6 minutes per alpaca! We need to have many hands to hold the animals, gather the fleece, sweep up between animals, etc. But it's all over in one day. This year we sheared over 80 alpacas on shearing day. Shearing day is one of my favorite days of the year. There's nothing like the feeling of having a barn full of fleece and happy, naked alpacas pronking in the fields!

Go to Top of Page

GreenAcreGal
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

Bev
DeGraff Ohio
USA
17 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2008 :  10:49:36 AM  Show Profile
Hi Katy! Welcome! I'm new here too!
I want to know more about your alpacas or alpacas in general. I've been wanting to buy one but have no clue what to look for. I'm thinking mostly for the grandbabies who love any animal but "Gram" wants an alpaca!What would you recommend? How much care do they require? Anything I should know upfront?
Thanks!

Bev
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2008 :  10:57:41 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Welcome Katy from the Pacicif NW.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4745 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4745 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2008 :  11:32:57 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Katy! Glad you joined us. You'll find lots of farm girls here who raise sheep and spin their own wool for yarn. Good luck on finding a new farm to move to. It sounds like a huge project!

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2008 :  11:38:18 AM  Show Profile
Hey, you will be close when you move. It's maybe 50 miles from me to Soddy.

So do you use your wool after shearing? It's really expensive to buy, I know. I would love to learn to spin wool.

Kris
Go to Top of Page

Tapestry
True Blue Farmgirl

1223 Posts

Cheryl
Wisconsin
USA
1223 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2008 :  1:41:48 PM  Show Profile  Send Tapestry a Yahoo! Message
Hi Katy and welcome to the forum! I am so jealous of you gals who do live on farms and get to raise animals. Alpacas are so sweet looking. My problem would be making pets out of every animal I had....LOL I hope you love it here!

Happy farmgirl sister #353

Look for rainbows instead of mud puddles

http://tapestrysimaginings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2008 :  2:18:49 PM  Show Profile
Wow, an alpaca farm. Sounds lovely. Welcome to this forum, you will love it

Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

berryhill
True Blue Farmgirl

132 Posts

Linda
Troy TN
USA
132 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2008 :  6:53:50 PM  Show Profile
Hello Katy, and welcome to the farm! Looking forward to hearing more about your farm move and your alpaca babies!
Linda from West Tenn.
Go to Top of Page

Alpaca Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

59 Posts

Katy
Fairhope AL
USA
59 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2008 :  7:59:47 PM  Show Profile
Wow! You gals are so great. Thanks for the kind words. I'm feeling at home here already.

Bev, alpacas are fun. A few things to know about them. Alpacas are super herd oriented. You always have to have at least two alpacas together. To illustrate this point, when we buy one alpaca - we have to take two to pick up the one. That way one alpaca is never by itself in the trailer. This comes from their being a prey animal. Alpacas have to be shorn once a year, usually in Spring. Ours eat free choice hay and have pasture grass. We give them an alpaca feed pellet once a day and see that they have fresh water. We pick up their manure (great fertilizer!) daily but if you have more space, you can do it less often. Luckily, they go to the bathroom in a community poop pile which makes cleaning up so much easier. In the South where it's hot and humid in the summer they need fans to keep them cool. In other parts of the country this is not as much of an issue. A 3 sided shed will be sufficient shelter for them. I haven't raised other livestock, but I think alpacas are fairly easy to keep. The fact that I am addicted to them may make me somewhat biased.

Kris, we do lots of different things with our alpaca's fiber. We sell some directly to handspinners. We send some of it off to be processed. This can go to either a mill that will process our own alpaca fiber into yarn, or to a mill where they pool lots of alpaca fiber from different farms together and we get back yarn from a pool rather than your own animals. We like having yarn from our own alpacas, but the mill that does a pool works with dyes and some of our yarn customers like that. Personally, I like needlefelting. Wish I had the time to do more of it. We sell alpaca products, and I am currently working with a local knitter to make alpaca scarves (shaped like alpacas) and to make the kits so that people can knit their own. Hope to have that ready by the holiday season, but who knows...

Katy

Go to Top of Page

lilyblossom
True Blue Farmgirl

416 Posts

Donna
Evansville IN
USA
416 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2008 :  7:15:47 PM  Show Profile
Hi Katy, welcome to the group. I love alpacas, especially their fiber (I spin and knit). Can't wit to hear more from you and your big move next year.

Donna...true blue KY farmgirl, farmgirl #86
Go to Top of Page

Alpaca Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

59 Posts

Katy
Fairhope AL
USA
59 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2008 :  05:08:49 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Donna! One of my stud males (herdsires) "summers" in Kentucky. He stays cooler and works up there while we swelter down here in L.A. (lower Alabama).

Katy

Go to Top of Page

lacisne88
True Blue Farmgirl

1181 Posts

Chelsey
Lake Stevens Washington
USA
1181 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2008 :  6:22:08 PM  Show Profile
Hi Katy! It's nice to meet you! It was really funny reading your intro because you said you are now farming alpacas after having a brief career as a psychologist. It's funny because right now I am studying at the University of Washington to be some sort of psychologist, but I really would LOVE to have an alpaca farm some day. It is my dream to have an alpaca farm and to spin the wool into yarn! Anyway, I hope you like the farm connection!

Chelsey
Farmgirl Sister #283

http://farmgirlpleasures.blogspot.com/

http://aminiatureworld.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Alpaca Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

59 Posts

Katy
Fairhope AL
USA
59 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2008 :  8:44:49 PM  Show Profile
Chelsey!
That's a hoot! We'll have to chat more soon. I love the farm connection already. Thanks!
Katy

Go to Top of Page

Shirley
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Shirley
Olympia Wa
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2008 :  12:29:09 AM  Show Profile
Hi Welcome Katy,
We have raised about every kind of farm animal, including Alpacas and Llamas and they are fairly easy to have. We have raised Llamas since 1979, with alpacas in between, just got rid of the alpacas 1 1/2 years ago, now just have llamas and sheep.
Do you spin and knit ? I sent some alpaca and sheeps wool to have it spun, and it is so nice. I wonder where it is, LOL I gota locate it and make something
I spin and knit but dont do much with the llamas because of the guard hair. takes to much time to seperate it.
sounds like you have a good business going there. keep it up
Shirley
Go to Top of Page

Alpaca Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

59 Posts

Katy
Fairhope AL
USA
59 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2008 :  08:35:21 AM  Show Profile
Hi Shirley,
Thanks for the kind welcome. I love llamas too! When I have more property, I'd love to have some guard llamas.
I cannot find enough hours in the day for the fiber arts. My girls are learning but they are still so young...If I had the time I would needlefelt. But for now, it's mostly laundry, cooking, and tending to the 4 kids and all the alpacas. As they get older I will have more time for my alpaca fiber. For now, we sell most of it and the yarn.

Hug a llama for me today!
Katy

Go to Top of Page

sherone_13
True Blue Farmgirl

2460 Posts

Sherone
Evanston WY
USA
2460 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2008 :  09:21:00 AM  Show Profile
Welcome to farmgirls!

Sherone
Independent Avon Representative

http://www.youravon.com/sheronetaylor

http://taylorscountrystore.blogspot.com/

http://sheronesgarden.tripod.com/
Go to Top of Page

Maryjane Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

2195 Posts

Maryjane
CA
USA
2195 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2008 :  4:23:13 PM  Show Profile
A big warm welcome to you Katy!

Hugs,
Maryjane Lee

Farmgirl Sister #44

http://thebeehivecottage.blogspot.com

http://www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Alpaca Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

59 Posts

Katy
Fairhope AL
USA
59 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2008 :  8:15:19 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Maryjane and Sherone! I love it here.
Katy

Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2008 :  9:40:25 PM  Show Profile
Katy,
Thanks for sharing, what fun things to learn about Alpacas, I think our mobile home park would object at alpacas....darn, but we do have chickens....lol
Welcome to the farm.
Carol Sue

Farmgirl #39
www.Quitemoments.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Alpaca Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

59 Posts

Katy
Fairhope AL
USA
59 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2008 :  05:30:51 AM  Show Profile
Carol Sue,
Thanks for the welcome. They might object to the alpacas. lol.
But how fun that you can have your chickens. One of my daughters is dying to get chickens. I hope to have them on our next farm. That will be a new adventure.

Katy

Go to Top of Page

GreenAcreGal
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

Bev
DeGraff Ohio
USA
17 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2008 :  10:16:59 AM  Show Profile
Katy, you are a sweetheart!

Thank you for all the information on alpacas. I've got alot to learn!
Appreciate your time.

Blessings!

~Bev~

Edited by - GreenAcreGal on Nov 04 2008 10:18:19 AM
Go to Top of Page

Alpaca Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

59 Posts

Katy
Fairhope AL
USA
59 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2008 :  6:00:01 PM  Show Profile
Hi Bev,
Glad you are learning about alpacas. I had no livestock (or farming) experience when we discovered alpacas. The good news is that it was a pretty easy learning curve. But some of the things I do now, I would have never dreamed of in my former life. Cutting my fingernails off and greasing up to the elbows to help with a delivery, and drawing blood are two examples that come to mind. :) I wouldn't trade it for anything. Our babies will be coming soon. First one is due Monday, November 10. I can hardly wait!

Cheers!

Katy

Visit me at www.alpacafarmgirl.com
Go to Top of Page

farmmom22
True Blue Farmgirl

616 Posts

Tammy
Scottsville KY
USA
616 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2008 :  7:37:26 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Katy, I think you are going to love it here. I think alpacas are so cool. We have Boer goats and I just love them. Especially the kids! They are like sweet little puppy dogs. Good luck with finding a farm, farm life is the best life to live!

Best farm wishes
Go to Top of Page
  **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic New Alpaca Farmgirl Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page