Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2008 :  5:07:16 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Today Nora wanted to play outside so I took the opportunity to do some yard work. I swept off the sidewalk since the leaves are falling and got out my electric lawn mower (since I don't own a rake at present) to mulch and pick up the leaves. Since it was mulching as well, there is a fine debris of chopped up leaf litter left behind which is perfect. It is small enough that it is not choking out the grass, but it is still leaving some organic matter to help fix the soil (my soil is really heavy with clay).

I added to my compost heap of course- all the mulch. I also stirred the heap and set water. My extension agency says the biggest reason for fall grass die off is because people stop watering too soon. I figure now was a great time to set some water on the remaining plants (eggplant, butternut squash, cucumber, and zucchini).

I love how the yard looks with bright emerald grass, golden leaves and cream colored fence and picnic tables.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com

daylily
True Blue Farmgirl

114 Posts

Chris
Newcastle CA
USA
114 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2008 :  5:26:32 PM  Show Profile
What a great way to enjoy the good weather! Emerald grass...now that paints a pretty picture!

Chris
Farmgirl Sister #346
http://refininglife.blogspot.com
http://organizedkitchen.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2008 :  5:51:18 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
If tomorrow is sunny I will have to take a picture! I think the grass is looking extra pretty right now since the leaves are falling so the back yard gets more sun.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2008 :  07:36:03 AM  Show Profile
Yeah, I managed a day outside and planted the xeric plants I got into the wheel shape on the roof. I need to a wait a bit longer to put in the native wildflowers but am excited. 1 quarter done and several plants in another one. Still have to finish the outline and the meandering path (mostly so the neighbor boys know not to run through the anymore or at least stay on the path) Even got some garlic and onion seeds in the ground. It's very exciting to plan to have a garden, finally.

Best Growing
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2008 :  2:58:12 PM  Show Profile
Actually got outside today for a bit. Cut down my spent tomato plants and pulled the wire cages. Added more stuff to the compost bin and turned it. Also worked a spot in the veggie garden and planted my garlic and mulched it with leaves. Our grass is turning green again after drying out during those dog days of summer. Birds have been active too in the feeders - saw an orange breasted nut hatch - cute little guy.

Very sunny and cool crisp air - wonderful fall day.

Anne in Portland, OR

"Weeds are flowers too, once you get to know them" Eyeore from Winnie the Pooh
Go to Top of Page

wild daisy
True Blue Farmgirl

503 Posts

Madelynne
Billings Montana
USA
503 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2008 :  5:48:01 PM  Show Profile
Alee I bet your plants look like mine - smashed. Oh well next year. I also watered earlier this week to make sure the trees and lawn were ready for the cold weather.

Madelynne
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4737 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4737 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2008 :  4:15:10 PM  Show Profile
Alee, it sounds like you have a wonderful fall day. I've been busy raking, watering, weeding and deheading, and transplanting flowers here. It was 84 today here just southwest of Chicago, so it really felt odd raking all those leaves & being surrounded by the beautiful fall colors. My 5 year old son is turning up to be a great little helper & gardener. He's been helping me since he could walk.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Yard Work Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page