Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Paying it forward . . . blessing the generations!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Paying it forward . . . blessing the generations! Next Topic  

Past Blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Brenda
Orchard Prairie WA
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2008 :  06:01:44 AM  Show Profile
With all the talk of bailout, all the talk about global warming, about the breakdowns in our moral structure, I have been thinking a lot about what we are doing . . . or should be doing for the generations to come.

It seems to me, when I listen to debates, when I hear the "experts" tout on and on about the problems of today, it is all done thinking only of ourselves . . . of this generation.

There is a folky sounding song by a gal named Sarah Groves which I believe is called "Generations." Part of the words are "I can pass on a curse or blessing to those I may never know." The chorus has the words, "To my great, great, great grand-daughter . . . live in peace."

I guess my point is, when we look at the problems of today, we really need to think about the children of tomorrow. We need to focus on passing on a blessing . . . of treating our world right, of passing on a healthy environment and a healthy economy. Some things should be absolutes. A country with no absolutes is a frightening thing, as that means there is no measure or guidelines for morality. We need to stop being so selfish and viewing all the decisions that will be made, both during the election and the years to come through our own eyes, but through those of our future children and grandchildren. I want to pass on a blessing. To do so means I need to think beyond myself. We need to purpose within ourselves to pass on a life of security, freedom and morality to the future generations. This might mean a bit of a sacrifice on our parts. If we aren't willing to do that, we have already lost the battle.

Hugs & blessings,

Brenda

Past Blessings . . . Celebrating Life as it used to be . . . when people loved God, loved their families and loved their country.

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2008 :  06:14:27 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Brenda, I think it is VERY representative of the type of people that are out there. Not all but most. That is what got us into this mess- greed and putting ME first, instead of thinking down the road.The I want it now and I don't have to wait and I don't care what the consequences are. People are so out to get "theirs" and running over whomever they have too and not worrying about the outcome of tomorrow, it just snowballs into a huge mess. Everything is geared towards being the best, competition and not enjoying the moment or planning to enjoy for the future. BUT...the good news is forums like this one and farmgals like us may be the silent fight, but we are fighting it!!! YEE HAWWWW~~~~ : )

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

chicken necker
True Blue Farmgirl

509 Posts

Sherry
Eastern Shore Maryland
USA
509 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2008 :  06:25:49 AM  Show Profile  Send chicken necker an AOL message
That's why I feel so fortunate to have found the "Farm", MaryJane and the rest of the forum. I'm trying my best to become a positive change for the future. I just hope and pray we aren't too late. :(

FarmGirl Sister #123

Crafty Bay FarmGirls Chapter

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, either way, you're right." Henry Ford
Go to Top of Page

Kris Sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

131 Posts

Kris
Chickamauga Ga.
USA
131 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2008 :  06:30:50 AM  Show Profile
Brenda, I think that is the theme of this whole forum, thinking of our children and future generations, don't you? I mean, why are we doing what we are doing if not for our families. They are why I do what I do here in my little bit of the world, trying to make it nice for them and theirs in the future. I think about this quite a lot, how my grandchildren will be living when I'm gone. So I have to do the best I can with what I've got here now and not abuse what I have to leave for them.

I hope this makes sense. Kris

Go to Top of Page

palmettogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

571 Posts

sue
camden south carolina
USA
571 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2008 :  06:45:08 AM  Show Profile
i agree with all of you! that's why i am constantly telling my daughter to never mind what everybody/(most of the people) are doing, ...there is right and wrong, and she should take responsibility for herself in her actions and attitude toward life.
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2008 :  08:11:28 AM  Show Profile
Brenda - bless you for your words. It is all too easy to focus on ourselves and all the negatives in the news. We truly do need to be thinking about our children and the future generations. I can't change the whole world but I can certainly change my little piece of this world.

Handmade Soap and More! - http://therusticcottage.etsy.com
The Rustic Cottage Blog http://therusticcottage.blogspot.com

PROUD FARMGIRL SISTER #100
Go to Top of Page

Past Blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Brenda
Orchard Prairie WA
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2008 :  08:54:23 AM  Show Profile
And I think that is just what we need . . . each of us doing our part. It may seem small, but a million smalls put together are actually rather big, don't you think?! And, even for ourselves . . . our future selves, we should do no harm. I am having friends over tonight for dinner. One of my "smalls" is making a meal that is healthy, as we all need it and buying things that are not going to help fill our landfills with garbage. Tiny thing, yes. But it all makes a difference. Taking the time to feed our families right, teach our children responsibility, teach our children wise finances, etc. will all help with the future of tomorrow. There are some pretty nasty commercials (especially for our Washington Governor's race) that have actually given great conversations in our family. They attack what used to be considered basic morality and make fun of the governor candidate who holds up these values. While it makes me sick (and a bit angry!) that this is acceptable in our culture, it provides a great opportunity for teaching values to my three sons.

Hugs & blessings,

Brenda

Past Blessings . . . Celebrating Life as it used to be . . . when people loved God, loved their families and loved their country.
Go to Top of Page

bohemiangel
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Bridget
Ligonier pa
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2008 :  09:41:36 AM  Show Profile  Send bohemiangel an AOL message  Click to see bohemiangel's MSN Messenger address  Send bohemiangel a Yahoo! Message
agreed!

**~~Farmgirl Sister #60~~**
"... to thine ownself be true."
http://ligonierfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
http://liggygirl.blogspot.com/
http://liggybitsandpieces.blogspot.com/
http://ligonierliving.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Paying it forward . . . blessing the generations! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page