katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2008 :  11:28:23 PM  Show Profile
OK, so Bambi and friends are over stepping their boundries,,,,Had 2 sunflowers left only to discover yesterday morning that Bambi ate both of them...My 3 cherry trees look like sticks and now Bambi is noshing on my Asian Pear & grape vines! But does Bambi eat the zucchini???No way,,,so I guess I need to plant massive amounts of zucchini around my orchard!
ok, that does it...Bambi you better back off 'cuz I am googleing "Venison Jerkey" receipies...

>^..^< Happiness is being a katmom.
mjf#72
Sisters on the Fly#472
www.katmom4.blogspot.com

chickabella
True Blue Farmgirl

177 Posts

D. A.
Austin... ish, Texas
177 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2008 :  04:20:53 AM  Show Profile
*lol*! Time to break out the 6" fencing to wrap around the trees and vines! Also try some Irish Spring (or other strong-smelling deodorant soap), stuck on a stick near your trees & vines.

If you make the venison jerky, let me know, I'm in the market for some...

Farm blog: http://farmnatters.blogspot.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/dasparky
Heart of Texas Farmgirls Chapter; Farmgirl Sisterhood Member #275

Go to Top of Page

dkelewae
True Blue Farmgirl

1310 Posts

Diana
Saint Peters MO
USA
1310 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2008 :  05:56:12 AM  Show Profile
LOL! Around here it's not the Bambi we battle but Rocky the Squirrel and his hundreds of relatives. No bird feeder, hummingbird feeder, sunflower, veggie, or other plants have escaped their furry reign of terror.

Diana
Farmgirl Sister #272
St. Peters MO
Country Girl trapped in the city!
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2008 :  07:05:09 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Aw Grace, The nerve of Bambi! Yea we have the whole squirrel issue as well.. UGH!

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185
http://farmchicksfarm.blogspot.com/

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
Mae West

Go to Top of Page

LisaLu
True Blue Farmgirl

126 Posts

Lisa
Wildomar Ca
USA
126 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2008 :  07:23:20 AM  Show Profile
Here's what you need to do:
Collect hair from your local salons, and sprinkle around your trees. The human scent should keep them away. If you can't do that let me know, I'll send you bags & bags from my shop!
I don't have deer but I have hair!
Hope it helps!
LisaLu

Happiness is homemade...
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2008 :  07:59:12 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Deer are beautiful creatures, but they can do a lot of damage, especially to a young orchard!

By the way, I LOVE Venison jerky!!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2008 :  08:00:13 AM  Show Profile
Save your money-Irish Spring doesn't work, neither does the hair or those motion detecter sprinklers. I have tried all of the tricks even sprinkling blood meal on the ground. Only thing that works is Fencing. The deer around here are starting to "fatten" up for winter and actually have resorted to the squash that we had planted in a bare spot outside of the garden area, they had left them alone all summer. Good Luck.

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4737 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4737 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2008 :  10:41:51 AM  Show Profile
I hear ya Grace! Bambi has been raiding my yard all year long. My Autumn Joy Sedum was eaten to the ground again, so were some of my perennial mums, the sunflowers my little boy and I planted were eaten before they got to bud, my Black Lace Sambucus' branches look like sticks and my impatiens have had all their tops chewed off. We have lots of deer stroll through here, usually early in the morning. I've tried putting my outside lights on, but that doesn't seem to intimidate them any. I'll try some of these methods & see if they work. I can't put a fence up in these areas, it wouldn't look very nice.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2008 :  10:45:14 AM  Show Profile
TRy Liquid fence.. Its non toxic and made from natural ingredients available in garden dept of Walmart. Works great , Smells kinda funky for awhile to humans but smell goes away quickly.

Cheryl #309
Farm girl sister

Keep life simple, to Simply live. Life is too short to worry about it.
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2008 :  03:35:21 AM  Show Profile
Sounds lik where my floks live.

The deer run rampet and are so bold they don't even run.

The yards for whom there are gardeners all have metal wire wrapped around them. It looks tacky as all get out, but keeps the deer out. A few folks have electrified theirs, so it conditions the deer to the non electric too.

My mom had a time w/ deer eating our deceased grandmother's roses!

These poor roses have survived 4 moves, and will make their resting place on our farm some day.

So for now, it's all out war too. Mom has also tried the hiar, both human and dog, the smelly soap and some of those spray repellents. So far the fencing workes best
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2008 :  09:54:02 AM  Show Profile
I have to laugh, In the movie Doc Hollywood, there is a scene where Michael J Fox and the female actress go around 'pottying' around a hunting area to chase off the deer so the hunters won't shoot them....trust me, if I did that my neighbors would think I am totally nuts! so I guess I'll have to wait till the wee hours of the night & it is totally dark to go wee wee...NOT!!! hee hee!
>^..^<

>^..^< Happiness is being a katmom.
mjf#72
Sisters on the Fly#472
www.katmom4.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2008 :  09:38:44 AM  Show Profile
Yea!

i'll tel my dad to drink lots of tea and sneak out to do the same

their neighbors are so close, I could just hear it now if the bleeding heart neighbors ever caught him

he also wants to start popping off some of the squirrles w/ a pellet gun

having bagged 310 at a zoo i used to work, it works best if they are first trapped, then shot point blank there's no sport but it's quick and painless this way pity it can't be done for deer too......couse those size cages would be alot harder to hide from the home owner's association!
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2243 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2243 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2008 :  2:22:12 PM  Show Profile
If you have a zoo nearby ask if you can have some lion or tiger manure. My mother said it worked almost as good a fencing.

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Bambi & I are at War! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page