5 acre Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1007 Posts

~~~*Terri*~~~
WA.
USA
1007 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2008 :  2:57:01 PM  Show Profile
Are you finished gardening, How do you put your garden to "BED"?

Farmgirls are Farmgirls no matter where or how we live.....we can't help it! ;)
froccsfrillsfurbiloesandmore.blogspot.com

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2008 :  3:46:18 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Hey Terri,
I still have tons of tomatoes and lettuce and just planted more lettuce and spinach for my cold frame. But when it's time to be done, I usually just pull everything and till the soil under again~ then spread some manure down and till again then add straw to my beds. I have raised garden beds. My herbs I just cut them back and put straw around them to offer a little protection from the cold winds and frost we get here....My raspberries I just let go until spring, same with my grapes.

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185
http://farmchicksfarm.blogspot.com/

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
Mae West

Edited by - ruralfarmgirl on Sep 29 2008 3:47:35 PM
Go to Top of Page

prairie_princess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Elizabeth
Carpenter WY
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2008 :  3:54:05 PM  Show Profile
thanks for the tip, rene. this will be my first time putting the garden to bed. so i will have to try your suggestions. i still have lots of tomatoes that are green....

any suggestions if frost comes before they are ready? will covering the garden with sheets be ok? or should i pick the tomatoes still green and ripen them inside the house?

"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and just be happy."
-Guillaume Apollinaire
Go to Top of Page

herbquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

891 Posts

Kristine
Bonney Lake Wa
USA
891 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2008 :  8:16:46 PM  Show Profile
I'm pulling out summer squash and planting spinach & salad greens tomorrow. Cutting herbs to dry.
Harvesting stuff.

Blessings,
Kristine ~ Mother of Many, MRET & Wellness Coach

http://herbalmommasda.blogspot.com/

Farmgirl Sister #97
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2008 :  9:52:48 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Hey Terri, I have a great tomato relish recipe; I will find it and post it in the AM.

Kristine~ Are you planting in a cold frame? We are suppose to be up to 90 tomorrow, so I think I will get a great start to my winter greens before the cold snap comes... But we will see, I plant a cold frame.

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185
http://farmchicksfarm.blogspot.com/

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
Mae West

Go to Top of Page

jo Thompson
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jo
the mountainside of the Chugach in Alaska
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2008 :  4:32:28 PM  Show Profile
We had our hard, hard frost last night, I pulled up all the sweet peas, nasturtiums and planted my garlic in the bed. I planted Siberian and extra hardy German from Seed Savers exchange. I think I bought too many heads! I'll harvest the himalayan poppy seed this weekend and send it out to all you poppy lovers that were on my list for seed.

Snow soon and the end to this ridiculous political season.

"life is drab without a lab"
http://web.mac.com/thomja/
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2008 :  5:30:46 PM  Show Profile
In Florida, gardens never sleep! I have broccoli planted right now, in January it will be sugar snap peas, in the spring it is tomatoes and cukes, in the summer peppers. Since those are our favorites, I use my space for them. I have not had luck with lettuce, as the bugs here are fierce for a gardener who uses no insect killer. Lettuce seems to be a favorite for little critters of all kinds. But right now the broocoli planted two weeks is are looking good, and I still have green peppers producing nicely. I just change the locations of my garden beds, so certain spots can rest a season or two between plantings.

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

5 acre Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1007 Posts

~~~*Terri*~~~
WA.
USA
1007 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2008 :  12:55:58 PM  Show Profile
I dont know if I want to have a year round garden, I am POOPED!!! I need a rest, but, in a few weeks, will get tired of nothing growing and have to grow something...LOL..you know about us....have to grow something all the time, our ifngers get ancy not in dirt....LOL!!!

Farmgirl Sister #368
http//:froccsfrillsfurbiloesandmore.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

prairie_princess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Elizabeth
Carpenter WY
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2008 :  3:08:17 PM  Show Profile
put the strawberry bed to bed over the weekend. we'll see how they do! will get to weeding the rest of the beds when i can. there is a great section in this months country living magazine about putting your garden to bed...

"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and just be happy."
-Guillaume Apollinaire
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2008 :  5:07:25 PM  Show Profile
We are supposed to get our first frost next Tuesday. Just frost won't hurt the greenbeans and snow peas that I'll cover. The tomato plants will get striped of fruit. I have most of the pepper plants already pulled up also the okra. I planted my garlic early this month and most of it is up. I'll give them a heavy mulch with hay. Yep, it is almost bedtime.
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4267 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4267 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2008 :  04:08:22 AM  Show Profile
Getting things cleaned up here as well. Got half a strawberry bed weed yet. Then if I get to it cover them with balsam boughs to help protect them. Got my flower beds done. Want to put out some yucky wool around rose bushes. They will get covered and trimmed down later, when it stays cold. Gardens are about ready to be plowed up. So getting there!!!!

Michele
Go to Top of Page
  Weather Report: Previous Topic Garden to bed? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page