CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2005 :  5:05:02 PM  Show Profile
in this day of high tech building .. and 'mcMansions' .. i ran across this thought and wanted to share it ... (and you may not agree with this viewpoint .. and that's surely o.k. .. but i thought it was something to 'ponder':

"I believe that buildings and mountains still speak to us because they represent who we are and where we are .. but when I look to the left and right of the highway, I become distrubed by a perception that so much of our recent building seems to litter, rather than to ennoble the world." (Kent Bloomer .. Faculty of Architecture, Yale University)

and from 'frannie': i find such a charm to the older homes, barns and other structures built in pioneer times. and while, there are certainly some magnificent modern buildings .. they just tend to feel 'cold' to me.

what are your favorite types of homes? log cabins, olde farmhouses, vintage cottages, victorian mansions .. and why?

Debs
True Blue Farmgirl

100 Posts

Debs
Wellington
New Zealand
100 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2005 :  11:31:00 AM  Show Profile
I love older style buildings, traditional architecture fanatic here!
I love Swiss chalets, Japanese temples, African Zulu huts, and English tudor style farmhouses! I love the style of the pioneer houses built by the settlers of the "new" world, in America, Canada, South Africa, Australia and New Zealand. They just have a simplicity and charm that most modern houses lack.
I like modern-style buildings but ONLY if sustainable, ie. Earthships, cob, papercrete, log cabins from sustainable timber, passive solar, recycled materials etc etc. The building has a connection to its environment, rather than a house or apartment in a modern development built with no consideration apart from how much money they can sell it for!
Go to Top of Page

Whimsy_girl
True Blue Farmgirl

576 Posts

USA
576 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2005 :  11:23:23 PM  Show Profile
I have been researching cob and earth sheltered homes this evening. I guess cob is pretty easy to do on your own which is neat.. Hal is applying for jobs in Montana and if he gets something we will be selling off the house and our little acre here and with what we get we'll be buying some land over there.. as an alternative to getting a mobile home out on our empty treeless dry scrubby land (you can tell I'm not thrilled about giving up my apple trees and the green-ness of Washington) I was thinking about building a little cob home instead... I don't know that much about it really and I'm unsure if Hal would even go for it (he thinks I'm weird hippy chick every time I mention these kinds of things) but if anyone has any experience or tips in undertaking such a thing I would be glad to hear it!

you can be oh so smart, or you can be oh so positive. I wasted a lot of time being smart I prefer being positive.

Edited by - Whimsy_girl on Dec 16 2005 11:24:24 PM
Go to Top of Page

verbina
True Blue Farmgirl

231 Posts

randi
n.j
USA
231 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2005 :  07:04:43 AM  Show Profile
hi all, what is cob? i live in a newer log cabin. but i miss my old farm house. i have land lots of woods add privacy. BUT i miss my old farm house. hope to find another in a year or two. getting tougher to keep up with jersey prices. randi
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2005 :  08:42:21 AM  Show Profile
I love older homes and buildings. My favorite houses are the Craftman bungalows or two story farmhouses -- anything with a big front porch. I love old barns too. The modern stuff is ok but old architecture has such character.

http://rusticcottage.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Rebekka Mae
True Blue Farmgirl

965 Posts

Rebekka
Moscow ID
USA
965 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2005 :  09:01:52 AM  Show Profile
Hey there girls!
I have helped to build a cob bench with master cobbers in Portland OR and I loved it- basically you just stomp on a pile moist mud, clay and straw until it is well mixed and set it into place packing it down hard.
There is a little more to it than that but I have read that you can build a cob house using mainly dirt from your building site for five to ten thousand dollars- not bad, especially since you can avoid supporting the mortgage and lumber industries . I would rather build with cob and buy reclaimed lumber and fixtures from locals (who are so often farmgirl sisters!). Someday I hope to build a cob home and a studio where I can have a womens center- the decorative possibilities are endless. Cob is also easy to mix with strawbale and the R rating is so high (important here with those driving Palouse winds in Winter. Try a cob bench at first and see what you think and next time you are in Portland stop by Peoples Co-op off 20th and Powell in SE to show your hubby how amazing cob can be it not just for hippies anymore(though it turns out they were and are right on)- there are many books at Aunties about cob, I love The Natural Home!

Edited by - Rebekka Mae on Dec 17 2005 09:04:25 AM
Go to Top of Page

marisa
Farmgirl in Training

15 Posts

marisa
fort worth texas
USA
15 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2006 :  07:20:22 AM  Show Profile  Send marisa an AOL message  Send marisa a Yahoo! Message
We live in a 1914 bungalow - doesn't have much original character left, but we did find a 1920's local newspaper underneath the cabinets we pulled out (they were badly damaged). We are doing an eco-friendly remodel.
I like all kinds of old houses, including 'modern'- midcentury modern, that is!
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2006 :  08:36:59 AM  Show Profile
When we started looking for our house we knew that we could not afford a new house built they way we wanted so we opted for an older home, but we were specific - something built before 1950, with a large lot, porch,etc. We knew that a house built before then, would be built well, with old growth timber, wood frame windows, etc. What we bought was a 1912 townhouse/farmhouse. It is tall and narrow, going back pretty far into the lot. The main part of the house is built with old growth timber - it's like steel. We have high ceilings, a big front porch and some unique character. The house was negleted for many years, so we are slowly remodeling/restoring. Still have a long way to go, but when we do change things we keep in mind the flow and character of the house. We save and restore our old solid wood doors. If we can't save molding we match it or have new cut. It is a lot of work and has been painstakingly slow, but I love our house and I have high hopes that in 5 to 10 years we will have it completed. When we look at the new houses being built today, our house is still better even with all of it's flaws.

Anne

"Second star to the right, straight on till morning" Peter Pan
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2006 :  10:12:40 AM  Show Profile
My eyes are always attracted to older structures. I enjoy driving country roads and seeing the old barns and houses. Many of my friends live in new construction with 14 foot ceilings, white walls, white carpet, etc.... They are beautiful homes but don't have any warm fuzzy feeling. I love every crack and flaw in our home....it speaks to the past and it adds character.

I'd go a little modern if I could live off the grid.....I would probably incorporate modern solar energy stuff.

Frannie's quote from Kent Bloomer made comment to the side street eye litter. I live near Houston and the closer you get to the city the signs on the sides of the roads are everywhere! It is very much eye litter and distracting.

Blessings
Catherine

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic architecture Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page