Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 help save a sock! please?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic help save a sock! please? Next Topic  

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2008 :  10:41:36 PM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
while recouperatign from surgery and roseola i have been tying to knit socks. i got the leg part down pat but the hell is a whole different story! the patter i am using is not very clear but it uses the technique of sl 1 k1 or sl 1 p1. for some reason it keeps getting so tight i have to take it our. i am wearing the wonderful worsted and camel yarn out! can anyone help? i am ready to give up! peace connie in alaska

dkelewae
True Blue Farmgirl

1310 Posts

Diana
Saint Peters MO
USA
1310 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2008 :  1:08:33 PM  Show Profile
What part of the heel are you on? Are you turning the heel or starting the gusset? Can you post the part of the pattern for the heel? That would make it easier for us to help you out.

Diana
Farmgirl Sister #272
St. Peters MO
Country Girl trapped in the city!
Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2008 :  6:56:22 PM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
i am usign socks 101 found at http://www.royea.net/formula.html. i am on heel flaps and turning. i cant even get past the basic heel flap never mind the turning part! that has me totally confused! peace connie in alaska
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4188 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4188 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2008 :  04:49:08 AM  Show Profile
Connie, my pattern says you
Row 1 (right side) *SL1 with yarn in back, K1* repeat across end with a knit stitch. Turn
Row 2 SL first stitch with yarn in front, purl to end. Turn
end heel flap with a purl row

This is called a tradional heel flap

Hope this is of some help. I tried to click on your pattern, but could not go there, I guess.

Michele
Go to Top of Page

StarMeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

940 Posts

T
MI
940 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2008 :  04:59:08 AM  Show Profile
I remember my first time turning a heel. It was horrible. I was much better at it after I was shown.

http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/advanced-techniques

Try this site. I'm sure there are others. You might check youtube for instructions to turn that heel. I can't really help out too much cause I'm at work and we aren't supposed to download video, so I can't watch right now to see which ones are the most helpful. I agree with diana...post that pattern so we can see.

Ooops here it is ladies....

Make the HEEL FLAP:

Divide the stitches in two -- you will have to move some stitches from the second needle onto the third to make it add up to half of the total stitches. Then take the rest of the stitches from the second needle and place on the first needle. This needle will not be worked until after you turn the heel. You will now have your 'active' needle with yarn attached and 20(22) stitches.

With the wrong side facing you (i.e. as if to purl) begin the heel flap:
Slip 1, then purl across; TURN;

Slip 1, knit 1 (repeat across, sl1-k1); TURN;

OK...so you are just working on the back of the heel. You will just work back and forth across that one part to make the back. I slip the first stitch onto my rht hand needles (as IF I'm going to purl it but don't)...then purl to the end. Then turn the whole kit and kaboodle around so that the opposite side is facing you. NOW, you will slip one as if you are going to knit it, onto your free right hand needle and then knit one, then slip, then knit, and so on. It makes it thick and cushiony. Relax! And breathe.

Continue these two rows until heel flap measures 2.5 (3) inches. End on a second row (so that the purl side is facing for the next row.) The slipped stitches at the beginning of each row form little 'loops' that make it easy when you need to pick up stitches later.

NOW....THIS part is where you are making the BOTTOM of the heel for your sock. It ends up making this cool triangular section when it's all done.

TURN THE HEEL: (really, this is easy -- just follow the directions and don't worry about having stitches left on the needle every time you turn the work.)

1st row: purl 13(14), p 2 tog. P1; TURN;

2nd row: slip 1, K7, slip 1, K1, psso, K1; TURN;

3rd row: slip 1, P8, p2Tog; p1; TURN;

4th row: slip 1, K9, slip 1, K1, psso, K1; TURN;

5th row: slip 1, P10, p2Tog; p1; TURN;

6th row: slip 1, K11, slip 1, K1, psso, K1; TURN

EVERY time it says turn...just turn the whole sock to face you in the opposite direction.

Anybody else have better directions or can add to it??
BTW, here's how I got to the pattern: http://www.royea.net/sock.html
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2008 :  07:44:36 AM  Show Profile
Connie, I love the heel pattern you are using, I use it on the guys hunting socks. The p1k1 makes the back of the heel ribbed and the heels last longer and are thicker.

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com

The people who make a difference in your life are NOT the ones with the most credentials, the most money, or the most awards. They are the ones who care.
Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2008 :  10:23:43 AM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
thank you ladies soo much. i like the way the heel is thicker with this pattern. sarita, do you have a problem with the stiches becoming too tight? i would like to stay with this style heel as it is for hunting socks. when it starts the turning portion it makes no sense at all to me but will hope that when i a actually doing it things will turn out right. if i didnt have to take out so much of my knitting i would get done so much faster! heck i think i have already stitched up at least a full pair of socks if not more! lol peace connie in alaska
Go to Top of Page

StarMeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

940 Posts

T
MI
940 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2008 :  11:03:30 AM  Show Profile
How are those heels coming along???
Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2008 :  7:51:12 PM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
welllllll, i sort of gothtru it but didnt make the heel flap long enough so am going to try another pattern that hopefully gives me clearer instructions on just what to do with the whole sock lo. with the help from all of you it did finally make sense! thank you so much!
Go to Top of Page

StarMeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

940 Posts

T
MI
940 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2008 :  10:11:07 AM  Show Profile
WOOT! Post a photo! Don't be shy! My first pair were really large for my foot...even though I have a pretty short/wide foot. I still wore em! (till the dog ate one)
Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2008 :  7:26:54 PM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
i tore it out! it just didnt fit at all and much easiser to start over than to un-kit to where the boo-boos were. i have a tendancy to do that *sigh* sock patterns just seem to have too many variables for me. at least i hope that is what it is since i am now starting a "dale of norway" pattern sweater for my hubby. with that kind of investment (almost $90 for just the needles!) i gotta finish it! ladies i am gonna need lots of support and encouragement on this one!
peace connie in alaska
Go to Top of Page

StarMeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

940 Posts

T
MI
940 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2008 :  05:53:59 AM  Show Profile
Well, too bad for the socks! BUT I have to say, you are pretty brave to start that sweater! Wow.
Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2008 :  11:31:21 PM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
i have abotu 12 hours into maybe 2 inches of sweater! i found a booboo and decided to take out 2 rounds while taking out the first few stitches i have no clue what i did but boy am i messd up now! i am taking it with me tomorrow to the knitting shop and pray they can help me figure out what i have done. sonehow i have one thread goign in one direction and the other going the opposite direction! lordy leave it to me! i was in tears.
yesterday i knitted a simple scarf for a friends birthday. it was so nice to just do simple back and forth knitting lol! peace connie in alaska
Go to Top of Page

StarMeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

940 Posts

T
MI
940 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2008 :  4:22:48 PM  Show Profile
Oh man! What a bummer. That's why I love wash cloths. Easy, quick, everybody needs more than one. It's become my stress reliever.
Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2008 :  9:29:59 PM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
lol i do those or scarves, anything simple when i gett too stressed. i find that doign tis sweater is something i can ony do when totally able to concentrate on just it! by the way i found otu what i did while taking out the stitches and also possibly why my stitch count was off! i had managed to split a stich and knit it twice! geesh only me! lol i havent had a chance to see for sure but i may not have to take out the 2 rows!
peace connie in alaska
Go to Top of Page

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2008 :  2:44:09 PM  Show Profile
The best sock pattern I ever used was in Elizabeth Zimmerman's Knitting Without Tears, I think it is called a German heel and it ends up with little pillars of garter stitch on either side. Since I can no longer knit I can't find my book, maybe your library would have a copy/ It is my favorite knitting book, a real winner, and wonderful to read. Good luck...

Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2008 :  6:15:21 PM  Show Profile
Connie, don't give up. Just relax, errors are going to happen, the first pair looks bad for most people. I remember watching an episode of Knitty Gritty on making socks, they made it look lots simplier than I ever made mine. I think they have those episodes on the internet.
Also make a pair or two of just short socks until you learn to juggle the 4 or 5 needles and I am telling you, you will be making socks as a relaxer before you know it.
You Can Do It!
Sarita

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com

The people who make a difference in your life are NOT the ones with the most credentials, the most money, or the most awards. They are the ones who care.
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic help save a sock! please? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page