Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Hot peppers inducing more eggs?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Hot peppers inducing more eggs? Next Topic  

fionalovesshrek
True Blue Farmgirl

186 Posts

Paige
kinston North Carolina
USA
186 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2008 :  8:07:13 PM  Show Profile
Has anyone heard of hot peppers, or dried pepper flakes, being given to chickens to 1) prevent molt and 2) encourage eggs in the winter months?
I met an elderly gentleman the other day and that's what HE told me. But for all I know he's a chicken hater and gives that advice to all the chicken owners he meets!
P~

www.fionaswampington.blogspot.com

http://homespunhensfarmgirlchapter.blogspot.com/
Man, despite his artistic pretensions, his sophistication, and his many accomplishments, owes his existence to a six inch layer of topsoil and the fact that it rains.

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2008 :  10:11:06 PM  Show Profile
I have heard of sprinkling cayenne pepper over their food..never tried it myself. I have also heard of giving them a little dry dog food..never tried that either. If the peppers work let us know!!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4284 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4284 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2008 :  05:34:09 AM  Show Profile
never heard of that. I would be a bit scared that the hot pepper would taste in the egg?

Michele
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2008 :  07:45:06 AM  Show Profile
I've heard of cat food but not dog food.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2008 :  1:22:43 PM  Show Profile
I never heard about the cat or dog food or cayenne pepper. I just rigged up a light on a timer and they thought the days were alot longer than they really were. Chickens lay eggs according to how much light they have in a day. Not what they eat. For the 3 years I had my chicken I got an egg form each one of the girls year round. And one each from the ducks too.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

clux64
True Blue Farmgirl

162 Posts

Celeste
Blair NE
USA
162 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2008 :  2:53:27 PM  Show Profile
I have heard of the cat food trick, but never the peppers. Supposedly the high protein in the cat food increases laying. I had a time where my egg production tapered off for no apparent reason and I tried giving them a couple handfulls of cat food. It did seem to stimulate egg production. I always keep a heat lamp on at night in the chicken house during the winter--I think that seems to stimulate egg prodcution as well.

Celeste

"No matter where you go, there you are"
--Confucious

www.urbanprairiehome.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2008 :  3:15:02 PM  Show Profile
My dad always gave our hens horse feed and we had eggs all winter. I bought some not long ago for my hens and they love it. We'll see if it works for them. I don't think you would get peppery eggs if they ate hot peppers. I fed mine basil all summer, and I didn't get basil-flavored eggs. But, gee, that would have been nice. :)

Karin

Farmgirl Sister
# 18 :)

www.perfectlittlemiracle.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2008 :  3:29:51 PM  Show Profile
Karin I feed mine basil too. I think it is there favorite treat! I'm gonna have to grow more next summer just for them. I'm down to my last little bit this year.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

fionalovesshrek
True Blue Farmgirl

186 Posts

Paige
kinston North Carolina
USA
186 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2008 :  07:10:41 AM  Show Profile
Karin, Basil flavored eggs! Just add a little cheese and you've got your omlet ready to go! I've got basil sitting in my garden that I'm doing nothing with so I think today the girls will get a treat.
P~

www.fionaswampington.blogspot.com

http://homespunhensfarmgirlchapter.blogspot.com/
Man, despite his artistic pretensions, his sophistication, and his many accomplishments, owes his existence to a six inch layer of topsoil and the fact that it rains.
Go to Top of Page

Tracey
True Blue Farmgirl

766 Posts

Tracey
State of Confusion
USA
766 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2008 :  07:40:56 AM  Show Profile
My step granddad used to work on a chicken farm growing up. He told me warm water. I passed that info along to a friend and she said it did the trick for her!

Take a Ride on the Wild Side!
http://mustangdiaries.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

5 acre Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1007 Posts

~~~*Terri*~~~
WA.
USA
1007 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2008 :  2:30:41 PM  Show Profile
Absolutely!!!! Our chickens get cayenne sprinkled on their food in the winter, they lay all winter.... It also keeps their hearts strong(as cayenne does for humans)....and keeps their circulation going throught the toughest winters, we have given it our layers for 12 years, and have had good luck with it....now mind you our chickens are not 12 years old, but, given it to the layers we have every winter,,,[
url]

Farmgirls are Farmgirls no matter where or how we live.....we can't help it! ;)
froccsfrillsfurbiloesandmore.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2008 :  5:53:09 PM  Show Profile
I know keeping a light on all night or part of it even DOES work to keep egg production up...simulates longer days..more sunshine=more eggs...but I don't do it since I want the hens to "last" longer..so I just let them lay as they will, with natural light. We get eggs all winter sometimes (less, for sure) and sometimes we have a few times over winter when I have to buy storebought eggs..eeek...if I can't find a friend who DOES keep the light on. Good to know about the cayenne..I will have to try that one. I do give mine trimmings from my hot pepers as I chop and freeze them or make salsa. They like 'em..thats for sure!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Hot peppers inducing more eggs? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page