Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 crabapple trees-not sure they are safe update
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic crabapple trees-not sure they are safe update Next Topic  

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2008 :  1:17:49 PM  Show Profile
I finally did make the crabapple jelly even with a bummed up foot. This recipe called for no pectin. I have never tried this method before. It was suppose to cook until it hit a certain tempature. I think my new thermometer was off. I cooked it and it never showed it reaching the right tempature. I noticed it was getting pretty thick and decided to turn the heat off. I ended up with some really thick like rubber cement jelly. I didn't throw it away but went ahead and canned it. It has a wonderful taste but its kinda hard to spread. The color is really a beautiful pink !!! My husband thinks it taste wonderful.

But I wonder what I should do next time if I can't rely on the thermometer is their another way to determine when its ready. Anyway it was fun being able to use those crabapples and I still left tons for the birds. Take care.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I purchased a few flowering crabapple trees from a nursery about 6 years ago. This year they are loaded with crabapples.They are red and about the size of marbles or even slightly smaller. The flesh is slightly pink in side and the one is white and a little red.

My question is are these safe to make jelly with ??? I was on the internet trying to get info on if any of the crabapples are toxic. I know there are some crabapples that have much larger fruit and are excellent for jelly but no one say anything about the small ones except that the birds like them. I just want to know if I make jelly from them will they make me sick.

Any info on this would be great! Crabapples are something I have never tried using before but would really like to take these and make some jelly with them. I hear the jelly is suppose to be super yummy.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats

Edited by - wooliespinner on Oct 23 2008 08:57:00 AM

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2008 :  1:30:40 PM  Show Profile
As far as I know, the smaller crab apples are non edible for humans. Birds love them, but humans don't lol.

BUT I am no expert mind you. Maybe the others know more about this.
I do love and use the small apples to decorate with!!

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

http://princess-of-pink-creations.blogspot.com/
my new BLOG.
I have added "new" creations, take a look :)
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2008 :  1:35:17 PM  Show Profile
do you remember the variety you got? Mostly humans ignore smaller because it's so much work.

Best Growing
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2008 :  1:37:24 PM  Show Profile
Found this on the Clemeten Extension web site.

"While all crabapples are edible, fruit of many ornamental crabapples are not palatable without first cooking and sweetening the fruit. Some crabapples have outstanding fall color, while others do not – it depends on the cultivar. The unusual branching of most crabapples creates a strong silhouette in winter when the leaves are absent."

You can also pickle crabapples. They are a fun treat for kids.

Best Growing
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2008 :  1:47:30 PM  Show Profile
Sorry Laurie not sure what they are called. I bought them at a nursery and have since lost the tags. I know they are probably ornamental but I did bite into one and they tasted pretty good. They were very tart.

I don't care if they are small I am willing to try to make jelly with them. I just wanted to be sure the little ones weren't poisoness to humans. I am almost ready to eat a couple and see if they make me sick or not. I know that sounds crazy but they did taste good when I bit into them but I didn't swallow any.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2008 :  1:54:52 PM  Show Profile
Thank you so much Laurie !!!

I am glad they are all edible. That solves my problem. I know the small ones will be more work but if they taste good and are safe to eat thats wonderful. Thank you so much for taking the time to find that info and post if for me.

I just had surgery to fix my achilles tendon. It ruptured from taking cipro and levequin. Its an antibiotic and I didn't know that was a side effect. Now they are listing it and even seen lawsuits on tv about it.
But I thought I could sit in the chair since I can't really do anything else and pick the crapapples. The branches are so low I should have no problem picking them from a sitting position. I just had the surgery yesterday and I am already going crazy....lol.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

whiteraven
True Blue Farmgirl

134 Posts

Christa
Kansas City MO
USA
134 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2008 :  6:41:28 PM  Show Profile
Linda, Thanks for asking this question! I have an onimental crabapple tree in my yard, and I have wondered the same thing. I KNOW the squirels REALLY like them! Its nice to know.

whiteraven

farmgirl Sister #320

Life is what you make it!

Edited by - whiteraven on Sep 25 2008 6:42:20 PM
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2244 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2244 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2008 :  9:07:03 PM  Show Profile
When I was young I used to love eating pickled crab apples, but I haven't seen one in many years. Maybe an old canning/cook book would have the recipe. I'll go check my books....

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2008 :  07:10:10 AM  Show Profile
Linda, can you give a little more info on your achilles tendon? Is it cipro or levequin, or the combination of the two, that has this side effect? My dad has been prescribed cipro a couple of times (he get pneumonia and bad bronchitis in the winter) and I would hate to have this happen to him. He's diabetic and walks a lot to manage his blood sugar.
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2008 :  11:30:21 AM  Show Profile
Amie I was on them both for the same problem. Its not the combination of the two. It can happen taking either one. I just so happened to be taking them both for a long period of time due to a chronic disease in my sinuses.I was taking over a 1000 mg. a day. I was on very high doses. At the time they didn't list this as a side effect. Now the FDA is making them black label the side effect.

I had taken these meds for about 60 days before the surgery and then another 30 after the surgery. Started having trouble about 9 months later with the tendon. Not sure about how long before you feel side effects. But if you due a search on the internet there is tons of info on it. There are also many lawsuits already in progress.

Hope your father does not have any trouble. Maybe he should talk to his doctor about this and see if their is an alternative med he could take. Good luck.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2008 :  11:35:00 AM  Show Profile
I've never had pickled crabapples. Are they sweet when pickled or tart like a pickle??
I love pickled beets. I will have to look in my ball blue canning book to see if they have any recipes for this. I think I am spelling pickle wrong it doesn't look right to me...lol. Will have to look that up too.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2008 :  7:37:54 PM  Show Profile
WE had a crabapple tree in front of my church when I was a kid. We would always pick them and eat them and I remembered that they tasted horribly sour!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2008 :  10:12:44 AM  Show Profile
I looked up the recipe by googling it. Here's just one recipe. http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1923,144190-251200,00.html I never use as much sugar as is called for and there are many other recipes, so have fun looking and experimenting. I gave a jar to the neighbors and they vanished in a day!

Best Growing
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2008 :  11:27:29 AM  Show Profile
SEE!! I never knew they were edible for us humans too! I learn more here every day, thanks!!

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

http://princess-of-pink-creations.blogspot.com/
my new BLOG.
I have added "new" creations, take a look :)
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2008 :  11:10:13 AM  Show Profile
Laurie,
I copied and pasted the recipe. When they tell you to loosen the bands one turn won't the mixture leak out when they are processing in the boiling water ?? Also do the apples taste sweet or tart once pickled ?

Anyway thought I would put the recipe on this thread so the rest of the ladies could see. Thanks Laurie for the recipe.

Linda

CRAB APPLE PICKLES

7 lbs. apples
4 lbs. sugar
1 qt. vinegar
1 pt. water
2 cloves
4 sticks cinnamon, broken
1 tsp. coriander

Put spices in a cloth bag; tie with string. Make syrup with vinegar, water, sugar and bag of spices. Bring to boil until sugar is dissolved. Put apples in a quart jar with stems on (except the buds). Prick each apple with a fork in several places before putting in jar. Pour on syrup. Put a knife around the apples. Put sterile lids on and bands loosened a turn. Process in boiling water bath 20 minutes until apples crack. Seal jars tight.

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2008 :  12:43:39 PM  Show Profile
well I must admit I didn't prick all the crabapples, just put them in the jar and I didn't clothbag the spices, threw it all in one canotainer and then laddles it in then tightened, so... many different recipes. I'm tryingto remember how they tasted, it's been a while, but I think the batch I made was like pickles sweet.

Best Growing
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic crabapple trees-not sure they are safe update Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page