True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Brenda
Louisiana
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2008 :  1:35:32 PM  Show Profile
Caron,
We are waiting to hear how you fared with IKE! All of the girls have checked in except you. We are worried sick about how you are doing. If you can get to a computer, we want to hear from you!!! We miss you!!!

"Love one another."

Caron
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

Caron
Orange Texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2008 :  5:04:26 PM  Show Profile
Hello Ladies! I did o.k. during the storm. My parents, however, lost everything to the storm surge that came with the Hurricane. I have been working everyday since to help them clear the house of the wet furniture, carpet, and other home items.Their sheetrock walls will have to be stripped out because mold is beginning to set in. The first days were a smelly wet,slimy mess in their home.They lost so many things that they had put in their home over the years.They are doing o.k. with the thought of it now, after the first few days which were a shock to them.
Our power was out for about five days and the phone/Internet about 6 days but we are back connected now. My parents are still waiting on their phone, and we only turn on a few breakers for power in their house because some things were under water and we worry about a fire now.
It will take a long time to get the house fixed and new furniture bought but we will do it.
Thank you all for your concern and prayers. Please keep my parents in prayer in the days ahead. Also pray for our area which has had a really hard time due to the flooding situation.Many people are sleeping out in their yards because the houses are not livable and there is nowhere to rent for at least 200 miles or more! FEMA has been slow to help and it may take a month or more to see an insurance adjuster to put in the claim to get money to rebuild.
Homeowners insurance doesn't cover flooding, so if a home didn't have flood insurance,they get nothing.It is a sad situation for many.

Caron

"The Lord is my strength and my shield;my heart trusts in Him" Psalms 29:7

Farmgirl Sister #254
Heart of Texas Farmgirl Chapter
Go to Top of Page

Homespun Livin
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Brenda
Louisiana
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2008 :  6:01:38 PM  Show Profile
Hey Caron!!! It is so good to hear from you. I am thankful that you are okay. I am so very sorry to hear that your parents lost everything though. It is so very hard to have to start over and alot of hard, messy work too. Please let them know that they are in my prayers and you too. Please keep us updated on how the clean up is coming along and also.... is there anything we farmgirls can do for you all? Let us know?

"Love one another."
Go to Top of Page

DeepsouthMamma
True Blue Farmgirl

1454 Posts

Autumn
Southwest Louisiana
USA
1454 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2008 :  8:54:07 PM  Show Profile
CARON!
I am so happy to hear from you.
I'm sorry about your parents place- I totally understand the "bare necessities" situation. Are they able to stay at your place?
That flood insurance thing is just horrible. Seems a bit rugged to pay homeowners insurance for 30-40 yrs only to be left out in the cold when ya have a disaster.
How can I help?

Blessings,
Autumn
Farmgirl #49
http://simplytoday-autumn.blogspot.com/

Isaiah 40:31
But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.
Go to Top of Page

Caron
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

Caron
Orange Texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2008 :  07:59:01 AM  Show Profile
Thank you ladies for your concern and for your offers of help. Right now my parents are staying in my dads office he built over the garage. It's a one-room deal but does have a bathroom in it. We went and bought a bed because my air mattress started to not hold air as well as it had been. I offered my house but they wanted to stay near their house, so they decided to stay in the office.Even though it is small, there is no place for people to rent around here, so they are grateful to have this place to stay in.
Today we are planning to have someone come in and clean the floors. We could have done it by mopping quite a few times, but after a week of ripping out wet carpet, wet furniture, and washing everything that we could save we were just too tired for floor mopping!LOL!
Tomorrow I have a promise of helpers coming to rip out the sheetrock and hopefully the kitchen and bathroom cabinets. These things should really improve the smell, which isn't very nice right now.
Well. I better get going...By the way an apron is very nice to wear when you're working with such yucky stuff. It got dirty, but I could take it off and feel somewhat cleaner at the end of each day. Yea for aprons!

Caron

Farmgirl Sister #254

Edited by - Caron on Sep 25 2008 08:00:23 AM
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2008 :  4:39:33 PM  Show Profile
Caron, It was so nice to talk to you and also to know that you were safe! I am so sorry to hear about your mom and dad's place! I have written megan about starting a farmgirls in need forum so hopefully we can do that! One of the ladies was asking if there is anything specific your mam and dad can use, so if there is could you let us know over on the gathered up forum- farmgirl fund! Marly also could use our moral support, so if any one would like to write her e-mail me and I can give you her address!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com

Edited by - oldfashioned girl on Sep 26 2008 10:55:28 AM
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2008 :  4:48:24 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Caron,
I know it is probably hard for your mom to even begin to wrap her head around what she might want or need for the house when she gets to starts settling back in. But I wondered if she had favorite colors or collections that we could start with ~ Or specific needs..........Monica is doing such a great things by getting this thing organized and we are all sending lots of love and hugs.

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185
http://farmchicksfarm.blogspot.com/

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
Mae West

Go to Top of Page

Caron
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

Caron
Orange Texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2008 :  4:52:55 PM  Show Profile
Rene, I think my Mom would most love just getting a card in the mail.She would enjoy reading cards of support from Farmgirls from all over. Monica has my address and cards can come to me and I'll take them to her, or e-mail me and I'll send you my parents address.

Thanks!
Caron

Farmgirl Sister #254
Go to Top of Page

DeepsouthMamma
True Blue Farmgirl

1454 Posts

Autumn
Southwest Louisiana
USA
1454 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2008 :  7:29:23 PM  Show Profile
Cards of encouragement may seem trivial but having walked this road before I know, as Caron says, that they mean so much. The repair and rebuilding of your life takes years and most folks forget as soon as the news stops talking about it- then you really feel alone!
I would encourage everyone to send words of love and support- it means more than you will ever know!

Blessings,
Autumn
Farmgirl #49
http://simplytoday-autumn.blogspot.com/

Isaiah 40:31
But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2008 :  11:47:10 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Caron, cards and Magazine on thier way.... Reaching out with a HUGE HUG!

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185
http://farmchicksfarm.blogspot.com/

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
Mae West

Go to Top of Page
  Weather Report: Previous Topic Caron Orange, Texas!!!!!!! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page