Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Parenting & Farm Kids
 I desperatly need tricks to potty train!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic I desperatly need tricks to potty train! Next Topic  

kmbrown
True Blue Farmgirl

459 Posts

Misty
Waynesboro Pennsylvania
USA
459 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2008 :  2:32:08 PM  Show Profile
I have a three year old son and next week my next son turns two. I know there are lotsa gals out there that have gotten through the potty training time and I am interested to know the tricks!! I have worked with Titus (3) for several months with some progress but I gotta tell ya...that boy just does NOT comprehend that ALL of your body waste goes in the potty, not just pee! I have really not even tried to work with William much yet. So....all ye woman with sons who succesfully use the toilet...can ya help?

Edited by - kmbrown on Sep 26 2008 5:52:57 PM

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2008 :  2:37:59 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
I left Charlie nekked at the house...and he made it to the potty in time for pee pee and poo poo!!! He is only 2 1/2, so I think he is doing good. I have not been brave enough to just put him in underwear but soon...

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

susanreno
True Blue Farmgirl

66 Posts

Susan
West Chester PA
USA
66 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2008 :  5:11:36 PM  Show Profile
Ooh ooh - I hope there are lots of responses for this one! My girls are almost two and although I've started talking to them about potty training, I have yet to really try it. I think I'm a little intimidated by the whole process. Oh wise mommies out there .... do help us :)
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2008 :  5:29:51 PM  Show Profile
when training my first daughter I bought her a drink/wet doll and set the dolly over the little potty and made a big deal of it..I gave the dolly some water then said "oh my goodness look at what a big girl your dolly is!" well my daughter didn't like that dolly was getting all the praise..ha. that very day she decided she was going to be the big girl and be "better than dolly" that's all it took for her..no more mistakes.
-----------
son was a bit more difficult. when trying to train him we'd turn him to face the back of the potty to go poo.
of course we also let him shoot cheerios and ice cubes.
one day he saw the cheerios and looked at them then looked up at the ceiling and asked "what about there?" "oh no baby! not up there..no! no! baby!" he eventually learned.
------------3rd child was the real challenge as she didn't decide she wanted to be ready..no mater what we did..until she was good and ready..she finally decided she wanted to be a big girl right about a month or so before her 4th birthday! phhoo! what a chore..she was my real stubborn child.
---------
one thing I did purchase was one of those musical potties that have a sensor on them and it plays music when the child goes.
that was very very helpful.
you can get them for about $20 at toys r us ..well worth it.
-------
good luck to you.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
visit me at:
http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and at www.stliving.net
you can also check out my etsy shops at:http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

PlumCreekMama
True Blue Farmgirl

730 Posts

Heather
Iowa
USA
730 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2008 :  7:21:32 PM  Show Profile
I think the best advice I can give you is to just keep doing what you are doing. He'll get it, even though at times it can be very frustrating. When Tate was first learning, he had a chart on the wall and every time he went pee, he got a sticker. Once he was doing well with peeing, I started working on pooping. It's a different feeling for them, so I kept the two separate. I just didn't get stressed out about it, they'll get it when they get it!

http://plumcreekmama.blogspot.com/

http://plumcreekcreations.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2008 :  8:29:27 PM  Show Profile
I found that for my oldest son pooping there was much harder for him to grasp!! But it is a nasty feeling to have poop in real underwear...alot messier for mom to clean up too..but it really helps to just bite the bullet and get them in the real underwear. I let Corey pick his own (back then I think it was "duck tales) and he was very proud of them. Boys are certainly harder to potty train than girls are! Second son was a breeze..he wanted to be like his big brother and get rid of the diapers. No pullups...I didnt' see the point.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

CarharttQueen
Farmgirl in Training

23 Posts

Miriam
Soldier's Meadow Idaho
USA
23 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2008 :  12:29:28 PM  Show Profile
Well, I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for, but I'll share what I know. I'm a first-time mama with a 9 month old girl.

I was/am interested in infant potty training, so when my baby was 5 months old I got a little potty chair for her and started setting her on it when she woke up, and every couple hours during her awake time. It only took a few days, and she was doing most of her pottying in the toilet! I was so impressed! At that age, I think it was just being consistent (setting her on the toilet regularly) so that she could make the connection. Even when she went in her diaper, I would set her on the toilet for a minute when changing her to reinforce the idea that going potty=going in the toilet.

Now my daughter is 9 months old (I let the potty training slide the last few months) and I'm starting her again. Now she can sit up on her own, and is starting to communicate with words. After just a few days, she's going potty in the toilet again, and I think that soon she'll probably have a word that means she needs to go!

With a toddler, I'm sure there's more involved (and after a couple years going in the diaper, the habit is much harder to break, but I'd guess in most cases a few days of being totally consistent (making sure they sit on the toilet quite often) would help reinforce the idea!

One thing I have heard is that if you have an older toddler NOT interested in potty training, and also have a younger child: Focus on training the younger one--they may learn faster having not been in diapers so long--and the older one may get jealous of the other one being "grown up" and potty train just to prove they're not a baby. I'd defiantly give it a try!

Out of curiosity, are there any other mamas out there doing infant potty training? (Maybe this should be on another thread)

Miriam
Go to Top of Page

wild daisy
True Blue Farmgirl

503 Posts

Madelynne
Billings Montana
USA
503 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2008 :  12:50:56 PM  Show Profile
I don't know if this helps. My son is now almost 23 years old. When he was about 2 1/2 and could tell me that he had gone in his diaper I knew it was time. I took him to the store and as we were looking over all the toys in the store he stated that he needed a Tonka Dump Truck right now. I looked at him and the light bulb went off. I stated that we could get a truck but that he needed to be a big boy to have one. Later when we got home I pulled down the calender marked that day and then showed him that if we could get him out of diapers buy the end of the month he could go to the store and get that truck. He wanted to start right then. You know what within 3 days he met his goal. We still marked of each day that went by until the end of the month and he got that truck. Now my daughter was a different story. We did the same thing but for a doll. It took her two weeks to get the feel for it. You just need to find that thing that motivates them whether it's an item or a special place. It also teaches them to make goals and reach them.
Go to Top of Page

Summerstead
True Blue Farmgirl

119 Posts

Heather
Roseland Nebraska
USA
119 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2008 :  06:59:43 AM  Show Profile
Both of my boys were stubborn as can be. Taylor was 3 1/2 when Landon was born, and he finally decided he didn't want to wear a diaper like the baby. So, that was fairly easy (after a year of working with him)!

Landon was a different story. There's stubborn, then there's Landon. We worked and worked with him and used EVERY trick in every book and every piece of advice we were given. NOTHING worked. He knew when he had to go, but he had no interest in using the bathroom - it was easier for someone else to clean him up. I'm not sure what made me do it, but one day I decided to teach him how to pee like a boy. I showed him how to lift the toilet seat, then just stand there and pee. Once he saw where the pee came from, he decided it was really neat, so he started using the toilet when he just had to potty.

The poop was a different story. I thought for sure that once he learned to potty in the toilet, the poop would come soon after. Nope. After about 6 months (again trying everything in books, online, and what people told us), I had to get creative. I know this is going to sound kind of mean, but, believe me, it works. Again, he knew when he had to poop, and he flat out refused to do it in the toilet. Whenever he pooped his pants, I would put him in the shower and spray him off with cold water. It wasn't freezing, just cold enough to be uncomfortable. After about two weeks of that, he realized I was serious and started pooping in the toilet.

I've told about 1/2 a dozen people this little water trick I came up with, and the longest it has taken to work is about 3 weeks.

*Heather*

www.summerstead.blogspot.com
www.summerstead.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

santacreekmarsh
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

Anna
St. Maries Idaho
USA
4 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2008 :  10:37:40 PM  Show Profile
Hey Girls,
I am in the same boat with a 2 1/2 year old boy. I was fresh out of ideas and had no where to go.... except the library. They had a great book called 'Potty training for dummies'. I am reading it right now, it is full of good advice and SWEARS you can potty train in a weekend. Hope this helps
Go to Top of Page

CarharttQueen
Farmgirl in Training

23 Posts

Miriam
Soldier's Meadow Idaho
USA
23 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2008 :  4:09:58 PM  Show Profile
Just wanted to chime in that I've heard positive results with the "hose down with cold water" method, too. Particularly for stubborn little boys old enough to know better!
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2008 :  4:59:56 PM  Show Profile
Don't go by me, I bribed my kids with Starbursts. If they went potty or poop on the potty chair, I gave them one.

Karin

Farmgirl Sister
# 18 :)

www.perfectlittlemiracle.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

jinia
True Blue Farmgirl

152 Posts

jinia
mo
USA
152 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2008 :  3:42:37 PM  Show Profile
My pediatrician told us to wait until our son can pull down his own pants and pull them back up. She said boys come around to it later - sometimes much later..still do don't they. We waited until he expressed the interest and then it took about three days. Now that was during the day - it took another 2 months for nights to be all clear. He was a few months past 3, but it was no stress. I am so glad we waited 'till he was ready! Good luck
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2008 :  4:00:00 PM  Show Profile
Oh my... my children are all grown and my grandchildren were potty trained with bribery.. M&M's It worked with my three kids too.. Son now 41 daughters 37 & 39. I believe honestly they have to understand what it's all about.

Cheryl #309
Farm girl sister

Keep life simple, to Simply live. Life is too short to worry about it.
Go to Top of Page

velvetcadi7
True Blue Farmgirl

54 Posts

Amy
Galva IL
USA
54 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2008 :  07:40:14 AM  Show Profile
I have 3 kids and my best advice about potty training is...don't.

Well, not totally don't, but don't stress over it. By high school graduation, all the kids are out of diapers!

Have the potty, play the games, talk about it...but when it comes down to it, they will do it when they are ready.

Peer pressure can also do wonders! My oldest when to a preschool that did not require potty training but with in the first week, he had it! (He was 3) My second son was around 3 also. My biggest problem with my daughter is she wants to stand up to pee like her brothers!

Amy
Go to Top of Page

knittingmom
True Blue Farmgirl

665 Posts

AnneMarie
Edmonton Alberta
Canada
665 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2008 :  09:43:17 AM  Show Profile
I have two boys and one girl and my daughter is by far the easier of the three to get to go on the potty.

With the boys I found they had a higher tollerance for being wet, also they didn't want to stop what they were doing to go to the bathroom, since playing is much more important then going to the bathroom.

Keep encouraging him but he will eventually start using the toilet, our boys were using the bathroom well before they began school so don't worry about that.

Number "2" takes a little longer to grasp for boys it seems since we tell them to stand to pee and sit to do do the other thing, it's confusing to a little person. Maybe get him to sit to pee as well.

Does he have any favourite cartoons (i.e. Diego, Spiderman, Cars), you could get him "big boy" underwear and put those on telling him that if he wants to keep them dry he has to go to the bathroom. There of course will be accidents but he'll eventually grasp the concept, just keep pullups handy for travel and sleeping for the time being.

But he will do it when he's good and ready.
Go to Top of Page

julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2008 :  10:48:28 AM  Show Profile
Oh do I ever hear you sister! My son was so hard to potty train. It was as if he didn't 'feel' like he needed to go potty until he was actually going. He was 3 1/2 or more easily before it finally clicked for him. I put him on a potty schedule and had 2 potty chairs in different parts of the house. I would have him sit and I'd blow bubbles or read books. If he didn't go..no worry but if he did well I did such a happy dance! He finally clicked. He's now 7 and it is no problem at all at least in the pee department. He still has poopy accidents and this is ENTIRELY due to the fact that he just won't stop what he's doing to take the time and go poop on the potty. So instead, he just tries to squeeze it back and has an accident every so often. Poor guy. He really is trying hard but that part of it...the stopping what he's doing...is so hard sometimes. I find that when I put him on a schedule of sorts and gently remind he does so much better. I've learned that creating opportunities for success is the name of the game here. Daughter #2 was a breeze. Daughter #3 is just starting to happen. Last night, for example, I mentioned to her that it was time to go pee-pee on the potty chair. She promptly went to it and sat down..Then she got up and went into the closet. She came out a minute later and told me, "Pee! Pee" and got a towel herself to clean it up. Too cute!!! She'll be 2 in December and is as sharp as a tack...its kind of scary actually!

good luck and feel free venting those frustrations...We've all been there! thinking of you!! ~julia hayes

being simple to simply be
Farmgirl #30
www.julia42.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

5 acre Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1007 Posts

~~~*Terri*~~~
WA.
USA
1007 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2008 :  09:04:06 AM  Show Profile
Have you ever looked at the "No Greater JOY" site, they have all kinds of tips and encouragements for moms....
I thnk most of it is free....

Farmgirl Sister #368
http://froccsfrillsfurbiloesandmore.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kmbrown
True Blue Farmgirl

459 Posts

Misty
Waynesboro Pennsylvania
USA
459 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2008 :  11:52:41 AM  Show Profile
That is my favorite group ever. I use a lost of their tools and books. Thanks!!!
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2008 :  4:30:57 PM  Show Profile
I am a bad Mommy and bribed mine. We had tried everything, for about two months. It was a battle of wills.

She wasn't going to do that potty thing at all. UNTILLLLL, we went shopping with a friend and her daughter who was the same age AND potty trained. They were shopping for tap shoes for her dance lessons. DD wanted those noisy shoes soooo badly. I told her if she started to use the potty like a big girl for a week with no accidents, I'd get her a pair of her own. Wouldn't you know it; she had to go then and there, we didn't make it to the potty. But NO accidents after that-ever AND she got the shoes after a week.

The boy just went over to his dad's for a weekend and came home trained. To this day I am not sure how his dad got him trained, but I know bribery wasn't involved.

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2008 :  4:49:20 PM  Show Profile
I dont have boys, but I have young nephews. We threw cheerios in the toilet and let them have "target practice"! But then again, they were "shooting" everything in about 3 weeks...... off the deck, off the hay mow.... yikes. maybe not such a good idea!! lol....

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens/Mother Hen
http://heirloommavens.blogspot.com
http://harvestthymefarm.blogspot.com
http://gyspycowgirlcreations.blogspot.com

"I figure if a girl wants to be a legend, she should go ahead and be one!"...Calamity Jane
Go to Top of Page

kmbrown
True Blue Farmgirl

459 Posts

Misty
Waynesboro Pennsylvania
USA
459 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2008 :  5:09:57 PM  Show Profile
Ummm yeah I don't know about the whole shooting everything!!! LOL. We have baby goats and I'm picturing that training method ending really badly !!!! :-)
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2008 :  10:56:32 AM  Show Profile
Well....I'm an OLD mom with four kids....2 boys and 2 girls. Only one was a real challenge. My oldest son(second child) was not potty trained until he was 3 and a half. I firmly believe that it's no use until they are ready. You will know. I would half kidding tell people I was just lazy and my kids needed to come up to me, pull on my shirt tail and tell me they needed to go. In reality that's about the way it works. Relax. If you stress about it, then so will they and that just makes things harder. How did that work for me? And more importantly, them? Two girls and one boy were all trained in less that a week when they were all about 2...daytime, nighttime, everything....no accidents, no bed wetting, no problems. The one that waited so long was slow at everything...walking, talking, potty training....and he has a borderline genius IQ. Potty trained in 2 days when the time was right for him. He was and is the most athletic of all of my kids. Weird.

I do have a great story from somebody else though about potty training. These people we know were having trouble with their little girl and the whole 'poop' thing. She had a Dora the Explorer tent and would always go in there to hide and do her business. Finally they put her potty chair in the tent. Voila! The 'Poop Tent.' It worked.

"Nature always has the last laugh." Mrs. Greenthumbs

Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2008 :  6:07:42 PM  Show Profile
Take Heart, Misty!
You are not a lone. I have a 3 year old daughter who just refuses to potty train. My son will be two in February and I feel like these two will be in diapers forever. HOWEVER, remember that EVERY TEENY TINY STEP IS PROGRESS!!!! :) Every kiddo does it at their own pace. You know the adage you can lead a horse to water; but you can't make him drink??...You can give a toddler a potty but you can't make 'em go ;)
Hugs for you!!
You're in my thoughts as we are doing this together..heheh

Jessie
Farmgirl Sister #235

Go to Top of Page

HeatherWemhoff
Farmgirl at Heart

8 Posts

Heather
Post Falls Idaho
USA
8 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2008 :  12:14:07 PM  Show Profile
My son is now five and very proficient at the potty busines

What we did is 1 put a kid sized potty in the bathroom ( a big can be scary to some kids or at least a bit intimidating) 2. Allowed him in the bathroom when we were in there. 3. Rewarded him with M&Ms everytime he went. 4. Bought Potty time with Bear in the Big blue house. Hope this helps happy training

A good glass of wine and time whiled away with friends is sublime
Go to Top of Page
  Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic I desperatly need tricks to potty train! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page